One-sided trades (after patch)?

I've just played a game through to 1500 and lets nail a few myths.

1) The AI won't trade you with you because you need happiness more. NO. I've had 30 excess happiness and they still request 2:1 trades.
2) The AI nations don't even trade between themselves. NO. There's a huge Roman nation in my game with just 1 resource for trade. Where are his others? Traded with other AI nations of course.
3) You can offer trades to the AI at a premium and it's ok. NO. In my game I've been ignored by the AI in terms of trades. Whenever an AI gets items to trade or money for research treaties it goes directly to their AI partners and ignore you. When it gets back to your turn they don't have money for a research treaty and you're frozen out.
4) Players can offer odd side deals to fix it and manage the problem. YES. Why should have players have to fix the broken diplomacy system instead of the designers?
5) With good relations you can get 1:1 deals. YES I've seen that in other games. How many trades at 2:1 do you have to make though in the optimistic hope that eventually they might be gracious enough to offer you 1:1?

Also - watch which resources your trade partner is asking for in the 2:1. They tend to demand ones that you don't have spare, i.e. they're offering you a net 2:0.

On the plus side, I've managed to stay out of war with pushy neighbours until 1500, with them even agreeing not to settle near me (and just waiting 30 turns then doing it, doh). The game seems to have balances of power rather than one long military dogfight. It's a shame this trading bug annoys the hell out of me so much and will ultimately lose me the game.

Also, you exagerrate way too much. I just started a new game post patch, my first. I've had no problems signing RA with no extra gold penalty (just straight up RA) and I've been selling for gem monopoply for gold, which pays for my other lux trade .

1 spice + 100 gold for 1 gem (from me). This seems like how it was in other games. and i'm at +20 happiness

What level?

My tests were all immortal and deity -- I wasn't able to get a single RA straight up no matter what I did.... dovish pushover, warmonger to be feared, generous gifter, cooperator pacts.... The only variable was whether we had an open borders agreement - if we did, the AI just asked for more gold to compensate.

After playing it, this is seeming very much like an "Onyxia deep breaths more since the patch" issue.

Hahahaha, good call. I'm hearin ya. I'm pickin up what you're layin down.

+1 Pepsi Points for you, sir. :lol:

What would be worth testing is the trading cost of AI with pacts of cooperation vs. those without.

As there is a cost penalty before.
The PoC might help. I've had RA deals both with and without the surcharges. In my last one that was a straight 250 deal there was a PoC in place with the rival civ. The really odd thing was that I met the civ and proposed the PoC right away, but they declined. Then next turn the same civ comes back to me with the PoC offer.

What level?

My tests were all immortal and deity -- I wasn't able to get a single RA straight up no matter what I did.... dovish pushover, warmonger to be feared, generous gifter, cooperator pacts.... The only variable was whether we had an open borders agreement - if we did, the AI just asked for more gold to compensate.

Emperor-- so there's probably a penalty to trading based on difficulty, as was the case with Civ3 and 4.

Try doing the same test @ prince then scale to diety and see what the surcharge is.

you could discover the % penalty.

Top Bottom