1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One small step for man, one giant leap backwards for mankind

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Grishnash, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Grishnash

Grishnash Mad Scientist

July 21, 1969 NASA landed the first human on the moon... Or did they? Neil Armstrong had said, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" But is it a giant leap 'backwards' for man? Were we lied to? Many people think so, scientists and not...The Russian sure don't think they did, and being the first in space, you'd think they'd know, but then most people say the Russians just can't take defeat.... We'll, I thought I would just throw this [Back] out there and see the 'fact' going around today. 39 years After the first moon walk, what's the story now?

But you have to ask yourself: If we went to the Moon, why haven't we gone back?

:goodjob: Debate peacefully!

For those of you who 'know' that we did land on the moon or for people who just want to see a little something about the moon walk, click me! Matter of fact, click me and read to the end before you reply!

2. Arwon

Arwon

We went back 8 times.

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

No, we didn't go Arwon. Hell man, even the photos 'from the moon' show a prop marker on one of the so called moon rocks.

4. Arwon

Arwon

That's not what your mum was saying to me last night.

5. Sharwood

Sharwood Rich, doctor nephew

Of course we went to the moon. There's a great deal of evidence, including the fact that artifacts left behind on the moon are clearly visible through telescopes, of that fact. The only good thing about this conspiracy theory is watching 70-odd year old Buzz Aldron KTFO a guy half his age who was dissing him about it. Instantly made Buzz the best astronaut ever.

6. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

And the radio dish which bounces signals off the moon sending them back to Earth are just figments of our imagination? ;)

7. Grishnash

Grishnash Mad Scientist

How come the Russians never went? How come we are not still going today? How come we don't even have a very small mine on the moon?

8. Sharwood

The Russians never went because their technology wouldn't allow it. We're not still going back because funds were diverted elsewhere. Argument pwned.

9. Murky

Murky Deity

Focus shifted to other things.

10. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Please tell me you're joking.

11. bhsup

bhsup Deity

:lol: Yes, I'm joking! But it's based on a real 'conspiracy theory' about the moon landing. The guy has been on TV talking about this rock.

12. Sharwood

Hey, one woman, an Australian woman no less - and we Australians are known for our honesty and forthrightness - saw a soft drink can on moon. Obviously the prop department was feeling cheeky, or one of the actor-nauts was a little parched.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

There's been extensive satellite work done on the Moon since.
    Google would like us to go back. As seen by their offer of a huge prize. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12647

Finally, the Moon is chock full of resources, once we get around to it.

14. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

I was about to lose all respect for you I had ever had if you weren't :lol:.

Seriously though, I've met a lot of sensible people who can't believe that we went to the moon. Here's a debunking site, but of course, those are just cover stories created by the 'man' to bring us down!

15. Sharwood

I think I told this story once before, but I once met a fairly intelligent and well-read guy who insisted electricity wasn't real, and demonstrated this fact to me by touching high voltage power lines, naturally resulting in electrocution and hospitalisation. People believe lots of stupid things.

16. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

There's no reason to spend any more money going to the moon.

17. Sharwood

Well, there's the whole, getting off the damn planet, and out of the star system, before it blows up deal. The moon's a stepping stone to that.

18. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

Pfft, no. Not while the money could be better spent here.

19. Sharwood

Of course not. But you said no reason, not better reasons not to.

20. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

The Russians watched the broadcast from the moon. Had the signal come from elsewhere, they would have been quite happy to say "hey, that footage isn't being broadcast from the moon."