1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One small step for man, one giant leap backwards for mankind

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Grishnash, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Lied to by whom? You mean maybe we were lied to by the half-million people who worked on and created the Apollo program? Jeez that's a lot of people to keep such a huge lie secret.:rolleyes:

We went back 7 or 8 times...

2. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

Is it you, Arwon? Who the hell has hacked Arwon's account?

3. Alpine Trooper

Alpine Trooper AllCiv

In all seriousness there is actually a helium mining colony on the Moon that was completed at the end of the 80s. The Helium, in its mass abundance there, powers the fusion engines that other races in our galaxy use.

4. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I refuse to the call the moon a satellite. The two bodies orbit the sun at the same point, roughly 5,000 KM away from the centre of the earth. And the moon's bigger than Mercury.

I don't care how many astronomers disagree with me.

5. Grishnash

Grishnash Mad Scientist

I meant why didn't the Russians go there afterwards? I mean, that's like the english 'not' going to the New World because Spain already did. About the cost, when last has the 'cost' of something stopped the government from doing it? Do you think the europeans were like "Well, how much would it cost to go to the New World?" It costed a whole lot but they still did. I mean, if we landed a man on mars, do you think we wouldn't go much more because it costed too much? And theres no telling what resources it may have, so why not find them? Or try to find them? Now, someone asked, "Why lie?" Well, let's see, your president said you'll be on the moon in ten years, in the middle of the space race/cold-war, the Russians were already the first in space and we needed something to top them, they couldn't make it to the moon but they knew if they said that, it would be a huge strike to moral in the USA during the Space race the Russians were leading. And does no one know about the Van Allen radiation belt, I think it would be hard to get by that... Like, REALLY REALLY hard. Like the reason the Russians didn't go to the Moon. And about whistle-blowing insiders, and the Russians, well, their really are whistle-blowing insiders and the Russians are saying that we never made it to the moon, your just not going to find them on prime time! And has anyone even looked at the link? To deny something or prove it you may want to look at both sides of the tale and not just bindly put out your thoughts without caring for any new things that come out or facts...
    But I'm just here to get the ball rolling. Altough that Moonbase I had planned I really wanted! :p

6. emzie

Europeans headed to the Americas for reasons other than prestige. They went because it was profitable to do so.

7. Grishnash

Grishnash Mad Scientist

And, you know what, about the Russians: They are not dumb, they are not morons. They were the first in Space, the first ICBM was Russian, their AK47 is better then our guns and STILL is nearly as good even though it's 60 years old. The Russian are/were More advanced or as advanced as us!!! COME ON, we didn't fear them because they had big hands!! Spain didn't know there was gold till after they explored it. We don't know if the moon is profitable or not because we did not check it that good.

8. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Moonshot

Russia has crack pots as well. Why has the Soviet government, three progressing Soviet Premiers nor the Russian Federation, or the Putin regime never made an official statement in regards to the Apollo program other than to acknowledge that they indeed HAPPENED?

9. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

This is the biggest load of conspiracy crap that ever gets beaten like a dead horse -- who should be substituted by the conspiracy theorist instead.

Give it up, there's so much proof it actually happened. JFK, Roswell, etc are far better stories.

10. emzie

Colonization of the Americas didn't start until well after Spain raped the New World of gold.

Americans went to the moon as a matter of prestige. I'm sure other countries would love to share in that prestige, but not at the cost. The Russians are still allowing people to buy rides on their rockets. The Chinese and Indians are barely in orbit.

11. Grishnash

Grishnash Mad Scientist

The Russians are not sending their rockets to the moon... That's a fact. The United States is the most powerful nation in the world and has the will to go to war in a flash, do you really think Russia is stupid enough to say that? Even if they did, no one would believe them and would just think they were cry babies and it was not Russian leaders or maybe even Russians did made that wiki stuff. And if facts were created by people saying "YES!!!! IT DID HAPPENED" then the world really would be flat.

12. toda

toda MJ12

I would tell you the truth, but they are watching. They always do.

13. ThePrussian

ThePrussian Warlord

I remember seeing an interview with a KGB officer who said the JFK/CIA conspiracy was a rumor manufactured by the KGB.

14. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

I can't even begin to explain how ridiculous I think that comparison is. By the way, when I said "here", I meant Earth, as opposed to outer space.

Look man, NASA got a $17.8 billion budget in 2008. Lately it seems to me that their main thing is to send robots to Mars in order to find out what's on the surface of Mars. These robots putter around taking pictures and doing soil samples and such until they conk out. And then they just leave them there. All that money's really gone. Meanwhile, I already know what's on the surface of Mars; a bunch of broken down NASA robots.

15. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Mythbusters...

16. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I don't care what "here" means. The idea that no money should ever be spent on something that is unnecessary because "it can be better used here" is beyond ridiculous. Obviously the money couldn't be "better used here," or we would be using it here.

Should we shut off all research grants and use that money to buy houses for poor people instead?

17. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

29) If debris from the Apollo missions was left on the Moon, then it would be visible today through a powerful telescope, however no such debris can be seen. The Clementine probe that recently mapped the Moons surface failed to show any Apollo artefacts left by Man during the missions. Where did the Moon Buggy and base of the LM go?
    Uh... Hubble can only see it in 9FT pixels... so they wouldn't be able to see it

18. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

You're taking my general statement to mean something specific. Space is freaking gigantic and sure maybe we could find some interesting stuff out there if we looked hard enough but none of it is really going to do me or anybody else here on Earth much good. Personally I'd rather see that money go towards alternative energy and environmental research. I don't know why you're trying to paint me this color...

19. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I'm not trying to paint you any color. I'm taking your statements to their logical conclusion. I don't think that's so unreasonable. If you're going to use a line of thinking, you need to be willing to stand by it. You can't believe in something when it leads to one conclusion but not when it leads to others.

What you're basically saying is that all research into space is by definition meritless. This is, obviously, ludicrous.

20. Gelion

Gelion Captain

BULL. Give me at least one statement from RSA that confirms this.