One small step for man, one giant leap backwards for mankind

I'm not trying to paint you any color. I'm taking your statements to their logical conclusion. I don't think that's so unreasonable. If you're going to use a line of thinking, you need to be willing to stand by it. You can't believe in something when it leads to one conclusion but not when it leads to others.

What you're basically saying is that all research into space is by definition meritless. This is, obviously, ludicrous.
Here's basically what I'm trying to say.

I can't even begin to explain how ridiculous I think that comparison is. By the way, when I said "here", I meant Earth, as opposed to outer space.

Look man, NASA got a $17.8 billion budget in 2008. Lately it seems to me that their main thing is to send robots to Mars in order to find out what's on the surface of Mars. These robots putter around taking pictures and doing soil samples and such until they conk out. And then they just leave them there. All that money's really gone. Meanwhile, I already know what's on the surface of Mars; a bunch of broken down NASA robots.

Why did Columbs travel on a voyage which many of his contemporaries thought was suicidal? Why did Magellan travel around the world. Why did Galileo and Copernicus study the stars.

I'll give you a hint why we should initiate the Terran Diaspora. It is a crater just off the Yucatan Penninsula. There is another hint, a lake in Indonesia called Lake Toba. The caldera in Yellowstone. A near stellar Gamma Ray burst would be bad for Earth's atmosphere and if it is of high enough intensity would probably sterelize the earth's surface (or at least one side of it). All of which have the capacity to kill off all of Humanity.

A big enough meteor and all you can do will not be enough. It'll excavate down to the molten core, burn off the entire atmosphere and turn the earth into so much broken rubble.

The history and entire infrastructure of my hometown would be completely different if there had been no moon landing...good luck bribing and faking an entire county's worth of people and jobs without some shifty reactions. So yeah, imma say it happened.

I meant why didn't the Russians go there afterwards? I mean, that's like the english 'not' going to the New World because Spain already did. About the cost, when last has the 'cost' of something stopped the government from doing it? Do you think the europeans were like "Well, how much would it cost to go to the New World?" It costed a whole lot but they still did.

Unlike colonization of the New World, there's no (currently) tangible benefit to getting to the moon. The United States went to the moon because it would show the Soviets we're superior, because it was awesome science, and because it would provide a morale boost to a nation that was in need of one. The Russians have nothing to gain from landing on the moon, since technology is not at the point where mining from the moon would be profitable or necessary. The Europeans colonized the New World for God, Glory, and Gold, then the raw materials necessary to fuel their economies, then the land necessary to be the most powerful nation in the world.

I mean, if we landed a man on mars, do you think we wouldn't go much more because it costed too much? And theres no telling what resources it may have, so why not find them? Or try to find them?

I'm assuming you mean that we wouldn't land more people on the planet after we land them once. Well, there are robots crawling the surface of Mars (yes, a lot have broken down, but the evidence and information they've gathered has been invaluable) looking for evidence of liquid water, or life, or the potential for human habitation. Ground work has to be done before the 'super-amazing' stuff begins.

Now, someone asked, "Why lie?" Well, let's see, your president said you'll be on the moon in ten years, in the middle of the space race/cold-war, the Russians were already the first in space and we needed something to top them, they couldn't make it to the moon but they knew if they said that, it would be a huge strike to moral in the USA during the Space race the Russians were leading. And does no one know about the Van Allen radiation belt, I think it would be hard to get by that... Like, REALLY REALLY hard.
It's called radiation shielding. And you just outlined all the reasons the government wouldn't lie. If they did, odds would be that a major news network would blow the whistle, not a bunch of greasy nerds in their mom's apartment who want to make themselves feel better after being rejected for the umpteenth time (not calling you one of those, BTW).

Like the reason the Russians didn't go to the Moon. And about whistle-blowing insiders, and the Russians, well, their really are whistle-blowing insiders and the Russians are saying that we never made it to the moon, your just not going to find them on prime time! And has anyone even looked at the link? To deny something or prove it you may want to look at both sides of the tale and not just bindly put out your thoughts without caring for any new things that come out or facts...
But I'm just here to get the ball rolling. Altough that Moonbase I had planned I really wanted! :p

The Russians agree we made it to the moon. We're not just blindly putting out our thoughts, we're providing evidence. Real evidence, not 'OMG LOOK THE MOUNTAIN HASNT MOVED HOLY . .. .. .. . IT MUST BE FAKE!!!! one!!11!' evidence.

The Russians are not sending their rockets to the moon... That's a fact. The United States is the most powerful nation in the world and has the will to go to war in a flash, do you really think Russia is stupid enough to say that? Even if they did, no one would believe them and would just think they were cry babies and it was not Russian leaders or maybe even Russians did made that wiki stuff. And if facts were created by people saying "YES!!!! IT DID HAPPENED" then the world really would be flat.

So the Soviets and Russians perpetuate the lie in order to not go to war with the US?

... well I guess I and everyone else with an ounce of reason in them can retire from this thread. Have a lovely time.

You're taking my general statement to mean something specific. Space is freaking gigantic and sure maybe we could find some interesting stuff out there if we looked hard enough but none of it is really going to do me or anybody else here on Earth much good.

Do you have any idea the number of inventions and advances that have been made because of the space program?

As I recall, the people on the moon broadcast were in space at the time of its creation. Admittably they men on the video were in space suits, but it seems odd to send an expensive rocket and valuable men up into space-8 times-if you weren't planning to do something with them. And based on my understanding of their character, they would have gone to the moon regardless of whether or not they were supposed to.

I'm sure velcro and microwavable food never did him any good.

It's not like they're useful inventions. For anybody.

Do you have any idea the number of inventions and advances that have been made because of the space program?

So put them to work on stuff like that rather than Mars robots.

I'm sure satellites don't do him any good. The sheer number of advances made in miniaturization and lightweight materials alone, is staggering. The integrated circuit came about partially because of the space program. Modern day batteries and water purification systems? Those are useless, right? Kidney dialysis machines? Pffft, no one benefits from those, right? :crazyeye:

And while you joke about microwaveable food, the creation and storage of food has been completely changed around world because of the space program.

Really, I could go on and on about the advances made because of the space program, but I would literally be here for days on end doing it.

Look, I just don't think going to the moon or to mars is important right now.

Yea people would have been much better off if we were giving the money to billionaires

Yea people would have been much better off if we were giving the money to billionaires

WTF is wrong with you people? What the hell made you think I want that?

I have to ask-why are the results of the many scientific advances in space travel an argument for the moon landing being a hoax

Look, I just don't think going to the moon or to mars is important right now.

Confirming water on Mars couldn't've been done without a robot. Do you have any idea how important that is?

I guess I don't. You guys can just win this argument or whatever because I'm not having fun anymore.

Oh god, the OP is so misinformed...
Before you tell us to read something, try reading the counter-arguments to the conspiracy theory. Or watch the documentary National Geographic did where they put all the conspiracy theories to the test.

Or watch Mythbusters, that works pretty well too

I guess I don't. You guys can just win this argument or whatever because I'm not having fun anymore.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I believe you are wrong.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Mankind has gained more benefit from the space program than all of the money wasted on stupid special interest groups in Washington, combined.

Top Bottom