1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One small step for man, one giant leap backwards for mankind

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Grishnash, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

Here's basically what I'm trying to say.

2. ThePrussian

ThePrussian Warlord

Why did Columbs travel on a voyage which many of his contemporaries thought was suicidal? Why did Magellan travel around the world. Why did Galileo and Copernicus study the stars.

I'll give you a hint why we should initiate the Terran Diaspora. It is a crater just off the Yucatan Penninsula. There is another hint, a lake in Indonesia called Lake Toba. The caldera in Yellowstone. A near stellar Gamma Ray burst would be bad for Earth's atmosphere and if it is of high enough intensity would probably sterelize the earth's surface (or at least one side of it). All of which have the capacity to kill off all of Humanity.

A big enough meteor and all you can do will not be enough. It'll excavate down to the molten core, burn off the entire atmosphere and turn the earth into so much broken rubble.

3. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

The history and entire infrastructure of my hometown would be completely different if there had been no moon landing...good luck bribing and faking an entire county's worth of people and jobs without some shifty reactions. So yeah, imma say it happened.

4. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Unlike colonization of the New World, there's no (currently) tangible benefit to getting to the moon. The United States went to the moon because it would show the Soviets we're superior, because it was awesome science, and because it would provide a morale boost to a nation that was in need of one. The Russians have nothing to gain from landing on the moon, since technology is not at the point where mining from the moon would be profitable or necessary. The Europeans colonized the New World for God, Glory, and Gold, then the raw materials necessary to fuel their economies, then the land necessary to be the most powerful nation in the world.

I'm assuming you mean that we wouldn't land more people on the planet after we land them once. Well, there are robots crawling the surface of Mars (yes, a lot have broken down, but the evidence and information they've gathered has been invaluable) looking for evidence of liquid water, or life, or the potential for human habitation. Ground work has to be done before the 'super-amazing' stuff begins.

It's called radiation shielding. And you just outlined all the reasons the government wouldn't lie. If they did, odds would be that a major news network would blow the whistle, not a bunch of greasy nerds in their mom's apartment who want to make themselves feel better after being rejected for the umpteenth time (not calling you one of those, BTW).

The Russians agree we made it to the moon. We're not just blindly putting out our thoughts, we're providing evidence. Real evidence, not 'OMG LOOK THE MOUNTAIN HASNT MOVED HOLY . .. .. .. . IT MUST BE FAKE!!!! one!!11!' evidence.

5. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

So the Soviets and Russians perpetuate the lie in order to not go to war with the US?

... well I guess I and everyone else with an ounce of reason in them can retire from this thread. Have a lovely time.

6. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Do you have any idea the number of inventions and advances that have been made because of the space program?

7. Loki130

Loki130 I remember when...

As I recall, the people on the moon broadcast were in space at the time of its creation. Admittably they men on the video were in space suits, but it seems odd to send an expensive rocket and valuable men up into space-8 times-if you weren't planning to do something with them. And based on my understanding of their character, they would have gone to the moon regardless of whether or not they were supposed to.

8. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I'm sure velcro and microwavable food never did him any good.

It's not like they're useful inventions. For anybody.

9. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

So put them to work on stuff like that rather than Mars robots.

10. Aegis

Aegis Deity

I'm sure satellites don't do him any good. The sheer number of advances made in miniaturization and lightweight materials alone, is staggering. The integrated circuit came about partially because of the space program. Modern day batteries and water purification systems? Those are useless, right? Kidney dialysis machines? Pffft, no one benefits from those, right? :crazyeye:

And while you joke about microwaveable food, the creation and storage of food has been completely changed around world because of the space program.

Really, I could go on and on about the advances made because of the space program, but I would literally be here for days on end doing it.

11. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

Look, I just don't think going to the moon or to mars is important right now.

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Yea people would have been much better off if we were giving the money to billionaires

13. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

WTF is wrong with you people? What the hell made you think I want that?

14. Loki130

Loki130 I remember when...

I have to ask-why are the results of the many scientific advances in space travel an argument for the moon landing being a hoax

15. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Confirming water on Mars couldn't've been done without a robot. Do you have any idea how important that is?

16. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

I guess I don't. You guys can just win this argument or whatever because I'm not having fun anymore.

17. general_kill

general_kill Deity

Oh god, the OP is so misinformed...
    Before you tell us to read something, try reading the counter-arguments to the conspiracy theory. Or watch the documentary National Geographic did where they put all the conspiracy theories to the test.

18. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Or watch Mythbusters, that works pretty well too

19. Aegis

Aegis Deity

You're entitled to your opinion, but I believe you are wrong.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Mankind has gained more benefit from the space program than all of the money wasted on stupid special interest groups in Washington, combined.

20. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

I'm also just a 17 year old with a big mouth. Ain't no crime. :cool: