One thing that Civilization needed?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by darkedone02, Jul 1, 2006.

1. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

there is one thing that i wish that civ 4 have, a Create your own Empire mode that allow us to make our own Empire, select what race it is, and be able to customize it's unique units and techs. That way, we can do whatever we want with it, put it on multi-player and play with other empires, and all shorts of stuff. don't you think that this must be implaneted on the upcoming expansion pack or the next Civ 4 Expansion or Civ game?

2. armchairknight

armchairknight Warlord

Must be implemented? No, not really, but I think it would be a cool feature. If I were doing it, I'd not let the Custom Empire have any unique units, though, just to give the premade empires some value. Good idea.

3. Janos

Janos Prince

Yeah that'd be fun - i like that idea.

4. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

i'd be philosophical and industrious with an axeman replacement that got +100% vs archers and required no copper... wait, that would be completely unbalanced. you can edit the xml to do any of this pretty easy.

5. Gyhth

Gyhth Warlord

The concept is good, but as stated, you can do it now with editing the XML and what not. The main concern this rises for me though is maybe making a leader that is far too overpowered, be it by traits given or by UUs created. If you want a new leader, create a mod for yourself with them and the UU you want, or maybe even just change the name and civ name for the leader you like the most, and set them to what you want. Instead of Rome, name it whatever you want and mod out the UU - let's face it, with Rome, I doubt anyone would mod out the UU, except to make it weaker if anything, just to keep the game balanced - to whatever you want :p

XML is pretty easy to manage and play with, all you have to do is learn how it all fits together, but even that isn't too hard to figure out in an hour or two, even if you don't know anything about programming :p

6. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

In the custom Unique units, i hope they put limits up, such as you can have a no resources needed, but your unit will not be strong, or you can make it strong enough, but will cost a lot of turns to produce. They need to have some advantage and disadvantage to make it balance enough. I also wish that they allow us to model our own units, in a little editing mode instead of using a program to do so.

I know what your saying, but i want this to be put in the game instead of doing it on a different and not confusing editor, that way I don't have to do any xml texting and stuff like that, i just click and click and color, then click. Not 24 hours of typing xml.

Better yet, how about someone making a program that allow us to make our own civilization for Civ 4 without typing xml at all, like i once said, allow us to make our own civilization, make a name for it, type the name of our two or one unique units, and allow us to set our advantage and disadvantage, then click a button and the xml and files are automatically created and be able to drag it to our civ custom folder and put it there to play it.

7. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

I"m thinking (hoping) philosophical/industrious will be balanced in the expansion. After all there are at least five other combos that sound just as powerful in the expansion, so something has to give.

Philosophical/Industrial
    Protective/Agressive
    Charismatic/creative
    philosophical/imperialistic
    charismatic/expansive
    Aggressive/Imperialistic

To name a few. After that a civilization editor MIGHT be ok.

8. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

I am a little bit surprised.

The same people who state that this proposal would lead to unbalanced combinations are referring to how easy it would be to do so by changing the XML-files.
    Well, then.... why not having such on obvious feature provided by ingame-mechanics? If somebody would be going to create his personal "Uber-Nation", so what? Nobody would be affected by that.

For MP and HOF games, you could have the same principles as by now - as soon as something has been changed from the original settings, don't let it work with other settings.

Why not giving the player an easy option to switch between the Redcoat and the Marine, or whatever other setting you would like?
    Why not making the Germans religious and financial with just three mouse-clicks?

9. armchairknight

armchairknight Warlord

No reason, really, Commander. I think it would be very nice to be able to tweak away as you suggest.

10. Olleus

Olleus Deity

It already IS very easy to do what you want it to do. I would rather see the game developers spending their time on something more useful.

11. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Ah, come on! To implement such a feature wouldn't take all day, would it?

And it would make things easier and more convenient, especially for those who are not so familiar with XML.

12. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

I think it would be cool to have in the game, that way all the rejected countries, like Canada, Australia, Brazil, etc..., could add their Civ to the game.

If they did add such a set up screen to customize a Civ, it probably wouldn't happen until the last expansion pack so they could continue to sell you all the Civs they want to add.

I would still buy expansions that included ancient Civs like the Mayans, Sumerians, Babylonians, Hittites, etc....

13. bkwrm79

bkwrm79 Prince

I think it would be a very handy feature to be able to customize on the spur of the moment, from within the game. It wouldn't obviate expansion packs (leaderheads, unique units, city lists, all that stuff) but it would let people play the civ they want to play with the traits they want it to have.

14. Baloo

Baloo Chieftain

My guess is, if they made it this easy to create a super-civ with great traits and a fantastic UU, most people would do it. Then they would get bored with it really quickly and never buy the next installment.
    To me, the best part of this game is the replayability, because it changes eveytime you start a new game. If I cheated (which I used to do a long time ago) I got bored with the game super fast...