1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One thing that really ticks me off...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by aimeeandbeatles, May 22, 2007.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

...no cheat mode.

Yes, I admit it... :blush: I usually cheat.

Is anybody else disappointed because of this?

2. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

There is a cheat mode called 'reload'.

:mischief:

No, I'm not disappointed.

Teaches you to concentrate on what you're doing.

3. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

I think it's called debug mode.

But I think I used the cheat in Civ 2 only 2 times in about 5 years.

4. Mesodius

Mesodius Warmonger

I believe that the cheat mode makes you deficient in long-term planning skills.

5. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

There are things called Trainers which you could get.

6. ecuwins

ecuwins Chieftain

7. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

The biggest cheat of all is cheating. An honestly gained triumph really means something. Having a score of 5000 means nothing if you have no opponents. At least thats how I feel.....

8. civverguy

civverguy Chieftain

I don't really care.

9. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck Chieftain

I'm generally one not to take advantage of the course of the game by unnatural means, but I don't lose sleep at night if I occasionally reload a turn because of something that occurs before I can react.

Considering that the AI knows where my weak points are and will regularly send units to that one out-of-the-way city that has 2 spearmen guarding it while the rest of my cities are protected to the hilt.

10. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

I'm not at all disappointed, infact I like the idea of no cheats. Once you type in a cheat you'll probably never stops and the game will get boring, then you'd ditch it and get a new game.

I have reloaded a year ago, but I never did it again. Keep the game neutral and learn from any mistakes. :D

11. Findus

Findus Chieftain

Debug is there to look at the bugs... de-bug :p

12. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

I don't really mind the cheats, since I have two playing modes: Extreme cheat vs. Honourable play.

I cheat to the max when I've beaten a game several times to my heart's content (Honourably) , in which case cheats allow me to experiment and setup fun scenarios to try. Like in RTW, after I beat Hard/Hard difficulty a lot of times I began using the cheats to create improbable stuff like Seleucids starting on the Italian peninsular, putting the elephant resources in provinces that didn't have them, get ancillaries that I seldom see, help AIs become huge ultra powerful superpowers for me to fight later, etc.

IMO if you know what makes the game fun for you, cheat availability doesn't really matter.

13. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan The Ruler of Cattle

I cheat on Empire Earth and donate lots to my enemies. Makes it challenging

14. metamike

metamike Chieftain

I like cheating on RTS games, and FPS games, just because it's fun to see the results.

I mean who wouldn't want to have a huge Big Boy unit with an enormous fork massacare Egyptian infantry in Age of Mythology? It's just hilarious!

And having a double-barrel shotgun with infinite lives since the first level of an FPS puts a smile on my face :) .

However turn-based games...meh. Not such a big fan.

They're more of the "play several weeks to accomplish a goal" kind. Just like MMORPGs. If you cheat in an MMORPG you'll only get satisfaction by bragging, and I'm sure you won't get any bragging rights if you win a game by cheating on these forums.