1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Oni's Terrain Buildings

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Oni Ryuu, May 13, 2017.

1. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

If you use one of the custom editors you can set fortresses to a negative bonus allowing the use of landmines.
    upload_2017-5-13_23-39-14.png upload_2017-5-13_23-36-54.png
    Stain stations are used to allow “train units” (immobile, 1 operational range, rebase) to reach far beyond your borders.
    upload_2017-5-13_23-39-43.png upload_2017-5-13_23-37-17.png
    Relevant units:
    Trains
    – immobile mass transport (foot, mech/cavalry or T-missile)
    Trams – immobile (reduced capacity and moves compared to trains) mass transport
    Canal Barges – immobile mech/cavalry transport
    Armoured Draisines – immobile mechanised combat unit or artillery
    Armoured car & Tankette Draisines – mobile mechanised combat unit or artillery
    Railway Guns – immobile very long range artillery

Download

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    chickenx4 and Synsensa like this.
  2. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

Nice! I hope you don't mind me asking some question:
    So, I presume that the landmine-concept where a fortress is replaced and given negative defense-bonus actually works? Do AI still treat and build fortresses as if they had positive defense-bonus?
    Regarding the immobile train units: Does the train stations essentialy works like an airport? Can for instance railway guns be deployed outside a city (local train depot = airfield)? Being immobile, they are defense/bombard-only and cannot attack - right? The trains, trams and barges, are they the equevalent of air transports? Do you use something like the airdrop-mechanics to place immobile combat units in the field, perhaps?
    Cheers.

3. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Questions and answers are why we’re here.
    Yes, without needing any modification.
    No, Trains, Trams and Canal Barges can only rebase to and load/unload their payload in a city or Transport Hub (airfield). If the distance is greater than 6 tiles you’ll need to build another Transport Hub.

Railway Guns are the same but without a load capacity so you have to (offensively) bombard from cities or transport hubs.

Mobile Draisines are the same as any armoured vehicles (but with 1 less move) and have 1opperational range and the ability to rebase allowing them to outpace other vehicles in an urban environment.
    No, I did consider frontier fortresses (with that deployment method) but decided against it. With this, the last train station is the end of the line for everything other than Mobile Draisines. Designated stops only. I use numerous other transport units to pick up passengers and freight from transport hubs.
    The train units have been tested thoroughly but the landmines haven’t been AI tested yet.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. chickenx4

chickenx4 Prince

Why are the trains in mobile

5. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Trains are fixed to the "rail network" (cities & airfields) so derailment means death and carnage.
    I wanted to have as little impact on the rest of the game as possible and this was the solution I came up with. Someone (I can’t remember who) was working on a method where mechanised units (specific to trains for their mod) could only traverse one type of terrain (railroad terrain). It’s a good idea but it requires devoting a lot of the editor features and any tile with a road becomes passable. The main disadvantage is that the mobile train method only works with pre-set maps.

The leapfrogging idea isn’t perfect and wasn’t my first idea but it looks to be the most practical.

6. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

Thanks for the answers - and the ideas. Looking forward to more creative "thinking-outside-the-box" experimentation! Gives me an urge to keep developing my own mod.

7. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

The more people poking at Civ, the greater the chance of something wonderful popping out.

I should point out that there aren’t many train units in the database. I’ve been trying to convince the unit designers that train units work and are more entertaining and challenging than standard railroad. From what they see, I’m trying to get them to produce some units that they expect to be useless; or at the very least, applicable to only one guys mod.

8. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

Wow that is a very creative idea. I love it. I also thought that Tom had made a steam train unit at some point but could be remembering wrong.

9. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

I didn’t realise that it was Tom2050’s.
    Train

10. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

Oh yeh, that's the unit I was thinking of. Also, I misread your post as saying there weren't 'any' train units but you said aren't 'many'. Oops.

So just to confirm, the AI uses the train transports? It loads units into them the rebases to to another city/airport then unloads the units?

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  11. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Sorry, they were AI tested and unused making them player only. It really should have mentioned that.
    It actually helps the AI by keeping them spread out preventing them from forming one huge target on your border when you go to war. obviously it would help them more if they could use the units but the combat is still an improvement on the original game. If you want to do something: you can make railroad AI only by giving them a pre-ancient tech enabling a resource required for the rail or give the AI some other advantage.

The rebase range is always six times the value set in operational range. (Fighter airspace is half of its operational range). Trains, trams and barges have 1 operational range.

Last edited: May 22, 2017