Only FFH could make me buy Colonization

loocas

Prince
But seriously, is Col. good?

I haven't played any other form of Civ4 since discovering FFH, except Final Frontier in small doses. What does Col. bring to the meta, and is there anything FFH could take advantage of? There are awesome modders here and I won't put it past them to bring FFH to Col., if it hasn't already happened.

Lucas

Not huge replay value though.

This is the main problem with Colonization. It's a great game, but the AI is so bad that even on Patriot(Col's Diety) other Europeans don't pose much of a threat. The Expeditionary Force your homecountry sends after you is deadly if you try to fight them toe-to-toe, but a little tactics and it's no contest, serriously. Basically, it's a really fun game, until you figure out how to win.

This is the main problem with Colonization. It's a great game, but the AI is so bad that even on Patriot(Col's Diety) other Europeans don't pose much of a threat. The Expeditionary Force your homecountry sends after you is deadly if you try to fight them toe-to-toe, but a little tactics and it's no contest, serriously. Basically, it's a really fun game, until you figure out how to win.

I got rejected a few times on normal difficulty lol. I thought it was a fun game, could have been funner.

A Col-fanatic myself, i found FfH in a detour from the Col-thread. I am disappointed with c4c, it have not lived up to my expectasions. It was some months since i last played it , but in the condition it was in then it was to much "learn to abuse the game mechanic/the ai is clueless" to be fun. However the potential is good enough that i will ga back and see if they have managed to overcome those difficulties sometime in the future.

It gets better if you download Age of Discovery or Age of Further Discovery. Dale has put in a lot of effort and deserves plaudits.

Col was a nice game, fun to play... once or twice. Really more like a scenario or mod. If you can get it on the cheap, grab it, otherwise... pass.

Furthermore, it's loaded micro-management. My first Civ game was Civ2, then Col - and I have to say my tastes have changed, the micromanagement started to bug me nowadays and cut down the replay value for me (doing fiddly things is nice the first time you discover it, afterwards it becomes tedious).

Cheers, LT.

I have only played with it a little bit and I didn't find it too appealing.

It seems like some art might've been harvested from it though for some other mods and modmods, I am pretty sure the Stonefire Smith guild-spreading unit in Fall Further is based on a blacksmith model from Col. *shrugs*

I'd never played the original Col, and liked the new one. But then I had no expectations for it.

There are plenty of mods that improve stuff in it, like Age of Discovery II, and mods that change stuff, like MareNostrum. And there are ways to reduce the micromanagement- I found out recently how to make cities auto-trade their goods to Europe, for instance. In my opinion, it's a good game as a "break" from regular Civ (or regular FFH). I agree with the people here who said it's like a mod, though.

As another note, the FFH forum has 3x more threads then the Col forum... and nearly 10x as many posts.

Top Bottom