Only three biomes? Suggest some more!

We're talking about a game where the average foot soldier is 500 feet tall and a major city has a population of 25. I think realism isn't what were really concerned with here.

A crystalline biome would be cool. Or maybe a dead biome where the ground would be black and forests would be all dead. Something like a post apocalyptic world where we arrive ages after a previous civilization destroyed themselves.

One thing I think is more odd is that in each game you apparently land on a different planet, but the alien flora and fauna are always the same.

'Tectonic' Biome will not happen, because the Civ5-engine can not alterate water into land (and vice versa). Remember the wanted (by Firaxis) but never realized Netherlands UA of generating new land?

'Arctic' essentially would be nothing but a new map-script. All we need for this is already there: snow tiles, tundra forests and mountains, ice caps on water. I am not so sure, however, if something like this doesn't exist already. I guess we will have to wait until launch to know.

I agree that 'Volcanic' might be interesting. However, this would make new game mechanics necessary (as Louis XXIV already mentioned).

Lucius' 'Crystalline Biome' (which came into my mind as well) seems to be an interesting new graphical tile-set, well worth some DLC.

In general, I strongly agree with bhavv in regard to new alien fauna. ;)

1) POLAR biome. Ice, snow, tundra, geysers, but despite all of that - rich in alien life.
2) SOLAR biome - simply desert. Hella lot of desert, rocks, 'oasis', 'flood plains', mountains, 'jungles', fungus etc.
3) VULCAN biome :) magma, vulcans, rifts, but also rich soils' 'jungles', reefs and algaes etc.
That's all.

we already know tundra and ice biomes exist

You can make tundra and ice biomes that come with a satellite station and the usual buffalo or manatee. A satellite station could add more production while the bufalo or manatee could add food.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet a Moon 'biome'. ;)
Light and dark gray, lots of craters, canyons, ridges, and sharp mountain ranges.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet a Moon 'biome'. ;)
Light and dark gray, lots of craters, canyons, ridges, and sharp mountain ranges.

Except this moon 'biome' would have grassland, plains, forests, deserts, marshes. tundra, and oceans

That is something to remember.. Biomes have ALL the tile types in them, just differently colored and maybe different frequency

The only difference between an "arid" grassland, a "lush" grassland, and a "fungal" grassland is the color.

The biomes may have more/less of some tile types, resources, and aliens..but all of them are still There and they behave the same way in the game

That's why a tundra/cold/frigid one would work.
But a volcanic one would not (although volcanic/mountainous would make a great mapscript)

Just like 'Barren'/Moon/Mars would not be a good biome...that would be more of a 'mod'... with no tiles producing any food without a 'dome farm'

Except this moon 'biome' would have grassland, plains, forests, deserts, marshes. tundra, and oceans

That is something to remember.. Biomes have ALL the tile types in them, just differently colored and maybe different frequency

The only difference between an "arid" grassland, a "lush" grassland, and a "fungal" grassland is the color.

The biomes may have more/less of some tile types, resources, and aliens..but all of them are still There and they behave the same way in the game

But a volcanic one would not (although volcanic/mountainous would make a great mapscript)

Just like 'Barren'/Moon/Mars would not be a good biome...that would be more of a 'mod'... with no tiles producing any food without a 'dome farm'

The yields of hexes are likely something that can be adjusted through LUA or XML.
Easy enough to put them in the files as addition, not mainstream.

Total Annihilation had some cool Mars maps. Reddish soil, purple water, big octopus vines growing all over. A BE Martian biome could have purple water, yellow-green foliage, red deserts, red and blue mountains, dark brown plains and dark green grassland.

Also, defining a new tile type for a lava lake would be a trivial task, so I don't agree that a lava biome would be any harder than creating any other new biome.

Agree on Lunar/barren.

I would suggest an Extreme Diversity Biome which would be a crazy random quilt of every Biome available in the game. Think of it like some species built the planet with Non-Linear thought or some pattern that only looks like Chaos to humans. It would be fascinating to explore such a planet imho.

Only 3 biomes and only 8 civs, eh?

I'll be honest, that doesn't seem like very good value for money.

Sounds like there is going to be a massive amount of DLC to milk the consumer.

I would suggest an Extreme Diversity Biome which would be a crazy random quilt of every Biome available in the game. Think of it like some species built the planet with Non-Linear thought or some pattern that only looks like Chaos to humans. It would be fascinating to explore such a planet imho.

Civ5 already has that, mountains and forests look different on different continents.

Top Bottom