Only two civs remain...

^^, theLastOne36, my whole "there are so and so many" explanation was just there to place a highlight on one fact: just because there are so and so many noisy (polish/scottish/swedish) supporters doesn't mean it would be fair to add Poland/Scottland/Sweden and not other nations.

This whole thread is speculation on "which civs should be introduced". Well and nice, but all those speculations are based on different paradigmas, or most often prejudices. It doesn't make ANY sense to compare reasons for a civ vs another civ, if the category of those reasons are different.

"Poland should be in, because Poland-Lithuania has been an important nation for a few centuries".

"The Hallstatt-culture should be in, because they made such beautyfull pottery."

"Siam should be in, because south-east Asia is underrepresented compared to its population / importance of the SE Asian market."

You see? Three completely different categories of reasons.

#1 the "military-econo-political approach" reasons that a number of nations have been holding a place of econo-political importance during parts of human history. Thus they must be included in every era. Because, because, well we are the greatest nation anyway. ;)

#2 the "cultural achievement and influence approach" reasons, that certain civs have been so important as culture givers, and cultural fundaments. ancient Egypt, Greece, China ... they all formed the modern cultures. By the same reasoning we should include even more fundamental cultures, as frex the afformentioned Hallstatt culture.

#3 the "real world market / fairness approach" reasons, that a) having a similar civ in will increase the sales numbers (speculative but sounds at least possible). b) that it makes sense to have a fair distribution of civs on an earth map (which is true ... for earth maps only). And c) that it is a question of political correctness / fairness to represent all current cultures somehow (and be it by way of a remote ancestor). Never mind that political correctness in and by itself is a highly questioned paradigma. ^^

I'm sure you'll find several more categories of reasons. Are they all equally valuable? How to distinguish those categories values? And which are realy used by Firaxis?

I'm fairly sure that an anglo-centric and also an euro-centric prejudice is part of the decision process. Not because the Firaxis guys are nationalistic morons, but because this prejudice is part of our (western) culture. Plus the main markets for Civ4 are to be found in this western culture. And thereby this prejudice is "ok".

Does it make sense to add even more prejudices to this established one? By frex stating things like "there are at least as many reasons to include Poland as for England/Spain"? I doubt it.

But until it is clear which categories of reasons are given what value, I can't deny even such (IMO) valueless reasons. If there are enough Poles that ail Firaxis "include Poland and we'll buy BtS" then this will have an impact (positive or negative).

OK, what was all this jabber-wabber about? I just ask people to think about the categories of their reasoning. Because this way you can much better give a number of reasons why and why not a certain civ should be in. And, being an hopeless optimist, maybe the reasons brought up here could influence Firaxis decision making on Civ5?

ladies and gentlemen, this gentleman here has made a very good point. let me add on this.

First, I think we should go attack the Firaxis HQ and threaten them to tell us how they choose the civs.

However, but more importantly, i think it is pointless arguing what civ is to be in or not, though i msut say it is quite fun and educational. i think what we can do is argue about what civs are to be in, not what civ (notice the "s"... wow, one letter makes all the difference). we all can almost unaninmously spit out a decently sized list of perhaps ten to twenty civs, that we all could agree should/would be in, because in my opinion, Firaxis' choices of civilizations are very random (though slightly Westerno-centric).

however, in the end, remember that Firaxis is all trying to do one thing half of us here try to do every day... put some bread on the table. ka-ching. so i think that marketing reasoning is probably the only real decider of civs we can all agree on.

(though slightly Westerno-centric).

It's "Eurocentric". "Westernocentric" isn't a word. :rolleyes:
But, yes, you are correct- too many of the "civs" are European nation-states, rather than true civilisations.

Actually while this is true genetically (all icelanders can genetically be traced back to a small group of viking colonists and an even smaller group of irish slaves), this isn't as much true culturaly ;). But here again: what does count more? Blood or culture?
I'd say culture. That's why the English, who are a roughly 50-50 mix of Celtic and Germanic, are an historically Germanic ethnic group, while the Scots and Irish, who have a fair bit of Norse in their ancestry, are an historically Celtic ethnic group.
But, either way, these examples are all the results of hybridisation between existing ethnicities- that doesn't change the fact thatm historically speaking, the Celts, Germans and Slavs are three seperate ethno-linguistic groups.

It's "Eurocentric". "Westernocentric" isn't a word. :rolleyes:
But, yes, you are correct- too many of the "civs" are European nation-states, rather than true civilisations.

i like making words up to get my point done, long as they make sense. :)

Well that wasn't the argument. I said that Celts lived in lands where slavs now do. I just phrased it wrong. And i'm also mixed blood between Slavic and Latin, (even though i'm mainly slavic) (just throwing in the argument)

And also i can barely find a version of the game in poland, infact i got the the game in canada and the warlords expansion in venezuela so i hope Fireaxis starts advertising there game in Eastern europe.

Well that wasn't the argument. I said that Celts lived in lands where slavs now do. I just phrased it wrong. And i'm also mixed blood between Slavic and Latin, (even though i'm mainly slavic) (just throwing in the argument)

You're confusing me...:crazyeye: ...whatever.
I think the cultures in Europe are as follows:
Celts
Germanics
Gauls
Romanics
Slavics
Balts?
Hellenics
etc.
I'm a mutt, I'm a bunch of stuff. Mainly Germanic and Celtic though. :goodjob:

You're confusing me...:crazyeye: ...whatever.
I think the cultures in Europe are as follows:
Celts
Germanics
Gauls
Romanics
Slavics
Balts?
Hellenics
etc.
I'm a mutt, I'm a bunch of stuff. Mainly Germanic and Celtic though. :goodjob:

well, im sure everyone will agree they're all Indo-European. in my opinion, there are five main European groups:

- Germanic (Germans, Scandinavians, etc.)
- Celtic (Irish, Scots, etc.)
- Mediteranean/Romano-Hellenic (Spanish, Italians, Greeks etc.)
- Slavic (which can be divded into different sub-groups, like Russians for eastern slavs, Poles for western slavs, and Serbs for southern slavs)
- Other/Combos (English)

there are also the Balts, the Finno-Hungarian group or whatever they are called, the Basques, the Caucasus Moutain People, and some other people.

now, again, as i said before, i don't think there is much a point of argument which civ should be in, i think we can agree on which civs should be in.

if we consider which civs shuold be in, i think the list, judging from people's suggestions and nationalism, should be as follows:

- Vietnam
- Poland
- Brazil
- Ethiopia
- Tibet
- Austria
- Khmer
- Thai
- Polynesian
- Venuezuela/Gran Columbia

add any to the list if you think it is proper. :)

"Vietnam
- Poland
- Brazil
- Ethiopia
- Tibet
- Austria
- Khmer
- Thai
- Polynesian
- Venuezuela/Gran Columbia"
Yeah but they're all countries, not Civilizations. :thumbsdown:

America is different (I live there :lol:) it's an empire, not just an ordinary country. There's a difference. I think Vietnam could make it some day though. @cbrxkhan ;)

America is different (I live there :lol:) it's an empire, not just an ordinary country. There's a difference. I think Vietnam could make it some day though. @cbrxkhan ;)

nah, we haven't been able to prove ourselves in offensive wars... last time we tried, we almost was about to own China and knock it down to its knees begging for mercy... but before we even got a chance, our great leader, arguably one of the greatest Vietnamese generals/Asian generals in history, Quang Trung, died of some random illness at the young age of 40 (even at that time - it'll be, oh, about 50/60 years old these days, about how old Bush is). we don't like to invade other countries, anyhow, the only reason we were invading China was to attempt to reclaim some provinces that were supposedly Vietnamese ~2000 years previously. we don't like to invade countries, we just mind our own business and wait until the next arrogant/not-so-arrogant superpower comes and thinks they can actually conquer us without feeling some... pain... :)

and i live in America too. :) anyhow, many of the countries listed above were the ones suggested by people. they can be considered "civlizations"; each had a unique history, a unique (enough) culture, and a chance to became a true civilization and not a modded one, in CIv4.

well, im sure everyone will agree they're all Indo-European. in my opinion, there are five main European groups:

there are also the Balts, the Finno-Hungarian group or whatever they are called, the Basques, the Caucasus Moutain People, and some other people.

:)

They are called 'Finno-Ugrian' or 'Ural-Altai', depending on the scope you apply.

I think we can all agree that we don't need any more European civs until we fill in some other gaps....notabably North America :p We only have one North American civ! Pfft.

@TheLastOne36 - I can see civ4 in each computer store in Poland (I'm always checking it's prize), so I don't know why you say that you can barely find it ??
Soon we will have second add-on - as an admin of one of Polish civ clubs I'm helping in preparation of BtS advertisement in Poland, so I assure you that it will be advertised :) Only if you live outside of Poland, then you will not see this action (you can only see ads on Polish game portals then).

And that civ is neither north-american, nor a culture/civilization, but instead a mere english-german-french-spanish colony gone empire on its way to becoming a civ/culture. Not an own civilization yet, at least in my opinion. The european civs are at most separated by a few centuries (a few being more then 2) cultural development either, which is still clearly much less then China, Egypt or India frex.

But given such an hard standard, we'd have how many civs? China, India, Egypt, Greeco-Roman-Europe, Meso-America, thats it. Maybe arguments could be raised for a distinct African civ as well.

As said: no sense in calling a civ with names if you have no criteria to decide whats a civ and whats not.

nah, we haven't been able to prove ourselves in offensive wars... last time we tried, we almost was about to own China and knock it down to its knees begging for mercy... but before we even got a chance, our great leader, arguably one of the greatest Vietnamese generals/Asian generals in history, Quang Trung, died of some random illness at the young age of 40

Wow that sucks. :lol:

(even at that time - it'll be, oh, about 50/60 years old these days, about how old Bush is).\
I wish Bush would die of some random illness! :lol: :king: (just kidding, I'm not a psycho)

If i got a vote, I'd be for Ethiopia and Polynesia. However, if they really wanted to have some fun, I think that Neanderthal would make a great civilization, especially if they had a souped-up warrior as a UU.

Wow that sucks. :lol:

I wish Bush would die of some random illness! :lol: :king:

Are you aloud to wish the death of a President on these forums? ... even if you are... that's just wrong....

...anywho.. I think Israel and Ethiopia need to get in here.... or Jamaica... Bob Marley will be their talking head :D

Top Bottom