Only two civs remain...

May i add:

"Unknown" Civs:

SE Asian Civ - (better be 'Nam, or else i'll stuff PHO in Firaxis' face)
(Hinted) African Civ - Best chance is Ethiopia

Charlemagne is confirmed It's also NAtive Americans There confirmed aswell.

#9 is a SE asian civ not sure which one yet.

i missed where African civ was hinted.Did Firaxis guys really hinted at an African civ?

well.. not a civ, but they did say that there will be an "African Addition". theres nothing much else except a civ.

A new and better approach for Civ5 might be, to distinguish civs into tiers. And during time the player could develop in this tiers.

So at the start you could decide which main branch you want to start with. Lets say you decide to start in the "indo-european" tier 1 civ-group. After developing a bit, you could choose which tier 2 civ-group you want to develop into. If no AI did choose it yet, you might be able to choose "germanic". Even later on, you might become the tier 3 civ "Vikings", and for the end game choose the tier 4 civ "Sweden".

As it is now, the choice of civs for the game seems ... illogical.

I like this idea quite a bit. Honestly it make for some interesting gameplay.

I am so sick of these debates over what constitutes a civilization.

If you want to know the truth, by a very strict definition of civilization, there is no England, Germany, Italy or any other. There is "Western Civilization," "Eastern Civilization" and "Middle Eastern Civilization." Mesoamerica and Africa are two other distinct groups; whether they properly count as a civilization is open to debate.

Bravo!

Yes. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking of later techs so I was struggling. :goodjob:

Scientist That Lives In Antarctica Empire

Starting Techs: Refrigeration (It's natural down there)

Lonely trait- -1 for diplomacy for being grumpy all the time.

Leader: Scientist That Lives In Antarctica (Lonely/Financial)

:lol:
UU: Flying Beaker (Replaces ICBM): Only costs 100 hammers

Hidden Penguin Resource!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
UB: Penguin Village (Replaces Granary): Reveals the hidden Penguin resource!!!! :king:

well.. not a civ, but they did say that there will be an "African Addition". theres nothing much else except a civ.

I agree it looks that way, and I hope they have finally got around to including Ethiopia. As for the South Eastern civ, I would prefer the Khmer.

I wasn't too happy about the inclusion of the Holy Roman Empire, but at least it should put an end to the incessant shouts of "Include *my* European country of birth! My country! My country! My country!" If they had to add yet another European civilization/grouping/polity, then the Habsburg Monarchy, which for much of its existence was known as "the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation" was, in my opinion, the best choice. (I would have preferred Polynesia or Brazil, though.)

Here I feel the need to make a general observation: It should be obvious to all that Civ is not a game concerned with "historical justice" where all big countries or ethnic groups get a place in the game and a pat on the head. Having been a great regional power for a period of time doesn't automatically qualify any country or group either. The game designers simply include ethnic groups or linguistic groups or tribes or countries or whatever that they think would be fun to have in the game. True, historical importance is a factor, but not the be-all and end-all. The Vikings were not a civilization, and "Vikings" is not even the correct name for the old Norsemen. The Celts were just a group of tribes speaking related languages who went their separate ways and never had a united polity. Neither were "the Native Americans" a civilization, and they didn't even speak languages which all recognizably belonged to the same language family. The United States is definitely a country with a distinct culture of its own, but it *is* legitimate to question whether it constitutes a separate "civilization". The Byzantine Empire had its own very distinct culture, a unique one which was not identical with that of either its Roman or its Greek predecessor, and thus it qualifies as a civilization - yet it is a bit weird to include a Roman successor state with Greek as its national language. But for all that, the inclusion of the Vikings, the Celts, the Native Americans, the Byzantine Empire and the United States is quite legitimate *as long as those civs are enjoyable elements in the game*. That's the only thing that really matters. (Personally, I could gladly do without the Vikings, but that's just me.)

For SE Asia my order of preference is

1. Vietnam
2. Siam/Thailand
3. Srivijaya
4. Burma
5. Indonesia or Khmer (this means that they are tied)
7. Phillipines
8. Champa
9. Laos
10. Malaysia

For potential Afriica
1. Ethiopia
2. Zimbabwe
3. Kongo
4. Ghana
5. Songhai

And for Hykos (I think they were African)

i find the Hyksos very very very very very unlikely adition, though it would be better than the HRE. they weren't African. they were "Asiatic", i.e., somewhere from the Midle East, either semitic or indo-european

Always knew it would be in, but now that SE Asia has been confirmed, my bets are for a Thai-based civ (sorry, Cybrxkhan, I am a pad thai fan, no pho for me). ;)

A potential African civ is a complete surprise to me. I thought they'd go S. Pacific. Anyway, my vote is for an East African civ, to round out sub-Saharan Africa (Mali=W. Africa, Zulu= S. Africa, etc.). While Ethiopia/Abyssinia sounds intriguing, I am wondering if the developers might go in another direction and represent an equally well-developed civ that did not survive the European expansion onslaught? I am thinking of the Swahilis, which possessed some of the most beautiful and lucrative trade cities (Kilwa, Sofara) in the world until Portugal decided to literally blow them to smithereens. I'm only thinking this because a) Sid and co. love what ifs, and it would be lovely if a Swahili armada sailed up to Lisbon and showed them pesky Portuguese the meaning of urban renovation, and b) I can think of far more "major" cities and towns in Swahili-dominated areas than I can of cities in Ethiopia/Abyssinia... can they really make a civ with only a few cities in the city name list?

Always knew it would be in, but now that SE Asia has been confirmed, my bets are for a Thai-based civ (sorry, Cybrxkhan, I am a pad thai fan, no pho for me). ;)

A potential African civ is a complete surprise to me. I thought they'd go S. Pacific. Anyway, my vote is for an East African civ, to round out sub-Saharan Africa (Mali=W. Africa, Zulu= S. Africa, etc.). While Ethiopia/Abyssinia sounds intriguing, I am wondering if the developers might go in another direction and represent an equally well-developed civ that did not survive the European expansion onslaught? I am thinking of the Swahilis, which possessed some of the most beautiful and lucrative trade cities (Kilwa, Sofara) in the world until Portugal decided to literally blow them to smithereens. I'm only thinking this because a) Sid and co. love what ifs, and it would be lovely if a Swahili armada sailed up to Lisbon and showed them pesky Portuguese the meaning of urban renovation, and b) I can think of far more "major" cities and towns in Swahili-dominated areas than I can of cities in Ethiopia/Abyssinia... can they really make a civ with only a few cities in the city name list?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pho-lovers - WE HAVE ANOTHER MAN/WOMAN TO CONVERT!!!!!! AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a more serious note, the Swahili would be a pretty good addition. they were internationally important enough, anyways.

im thinking they could also be putting in Nubia (copying from Rise of Nations)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ethiopia
Very interesting read.

Well, they've said that the HRE will be in. That will surely be harder than Ethiopia.
I've seen quite some city/place/town names in that article on Ethiopian history. Check on it..and convert :)

OK, SkippyT, I took the bait. Here's a list of Ethiopian cities that popped up when I googled Ethiopian cities (from anekia.com):
Gonder
Bahir Dar
Dese
Dire Dawa
Harer
Addis Ababa
Nazret
Jima
Awasa
Werder
Dolo Odo
Moyale

Can't verify them all, but I admit I was wrong and that there seems to be enough to get a good-size civ going with the Ethiopians.

However, I still maintain that HRE will have tons of MAJOR major cities that Civ4 hasn't even covered yet: Vienna, Milan, Prague, Genoa, Florence, Zurich... I don't think you will be disappointed in HRE's city department.

The fact that you had to refer to the "civ" using the name of an ocean sort of shows why that'll never happen.

Just like when people asks if there should be included an African (as S. Pacific) doesn't mean that that will never happen...:rolleyes:

An FYI for those interested in Swahili cities, here's a list:
Kilwa, Mombasa, Sofala, Mogadishu, Barawa, Malindi, Gedi, Pate, Zanzibar, and more. They were loosely organized, competing city states, much like Ancient Greece. Most of these cities were cosmopolitan and very well known in Africa, the Middle East, and East Asia. The Swahili kingdoms were originally African in origin, and gradually adopted Arabic customs, names, and of course, religion (despite popular and dare I say racist opinion that the kingdoms were established by Arab traders to exploit the inland resources of the native African population).

Regardless of whether it is Ethiopia or the Swahilis, an East African civ will be a welcome addition by this guy. No more Egyptian, Zulu or Mali domination of the entire African continent on Earth map anymore!

I wish i could have both Ethiopia and Swahili's.

Infact i'm gonna mod the 1 in that doesn't get into the game.

Top Bottom