1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Only two civs remain...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Phoenix1595, May 25, 2007.

1. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

As I think about it, it would be cool to see Gran Columbia as a civ with Simon Bolivar as the leader. There has never been anything done in the game with post-colonial Latin America even though it is obviously a civilization if you look at today's world. Besides Hitler and Lenin, Bolivar may be the most important historical figure of the last 200 years to never be a leaderhead in the game. He transformed a continent.

2. Jono

Jono Emperor

Unfortunately, Israel will never be a civilization.

3. mitsho

mitsho Deity

- We will not see Tibet as it would be an issue with China
    - Polynesia will not exist, they will either put in the Maori (as the most important of these groups (imho)) or a modern state like Indonesia (a stretch I know). But we won't see Tonga, Fiji or Hawaii.
    - Gran Colombia would be awesome, none of all these cities are on any list, but they are definitely worthy, the problem is that it never did exist long enough and I'm not sure wether the Latin Americans would be pleased by such a civ, but it would in any case make more sense than Venezuela, Brazil, Cuba or Argentinia.
    - Assyria seems less likely as Sumeria already might be in.
    - The tough contestants are thus imho: Israel (contested, but definitely worthy (Zulu?!?)), Austria, Hittites (both in Civ3 C3C, and not yet included), Iroquois (dito, depending on Sitting Bull), Poland (popular, Slavic eastern europe needs a representant and Poland has always shaped European politics (from the East Expansion of the Middle Ages to 1683, from the three partings and the first constitution to "surviving without a state, having a rebellion practically every decade, from the Jewish-Polish nation to Glasnost. and no, I'm Swiss, not Polish), a "polynesian civ" (fresh meat, but what kind exactly?)
    - I'm hoping for Poland and Israel/Maori/Assyria

mick

4. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Seeming to go against the "will of the masses", I'm hoping that:
    -Hatti (the Hittites) are in (they seem to be incredibly underrated, possibly due to their sudden collapse at the hands of the Sea People?)
    -Sumeria is in (I mean, the FIRST civ, which has only been represented in civ ONCE before)
    -Cambodia/Khmer or Siam are in (I would normally say Ethiopia, but there's already Mali since vanilla, and I'm more than happy with that)

I also wouldn't mind Austria being in, too. If they're trying to add in all of the civs from every game, they'll probably go with them, especially as EVERYTHING required for Austria was included in Civ3Conquests, but there's some kind of annoying 31 civ limit blocking them from the game :gripe:

5. Jono

Jono Emperor

I'd like to see modern day Turkey or simply the Ottoman Empire lead by Atatürk.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I'm hoping that Vietnam will be the southeast asian civ, but we can't be so sure right now.

otherwise, my picks for the possible remaining would be:

- Ethiopia
    - Nubia
    - Tibet (even though then its going to get censored in china :) )
    - Hungary
    - Brazil

7. Turkish_Aries

Turkish_Aries Bawwww!!

me too it will be cool :goodjob:

8. bode404

bode404 Warlord

I'd really like to see Brazil! Though it doesnt seem much likely... :sad:
    I don't think pre-colonial American civs really represent Latin America, nor Gran Columbia does, and afterall, there are already a plenty of European nations!

9. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Emperor

I would love to see Canada ( a little biased there) and Israel, but on both cases I am sure they won't be in (no matter how many of us Canucks plead and beg, and keep buying their games).

But ah well, just a personal opinion.

10. Donny

Donny Chieftain

*Sumerians
    *Ethiopians
    * (autralian/new zealand/indonesian) Aboriginals
    * Tibet (is it even sensitive in China to mention them? Or do they like... deny that tibet ever existed or something?)
    * Inuit (aka eskimos): Maybe they rule as a civ but they just started out on the north pole in 4000bc like you could in civ II :)
    * Hittites
    * Austria-hungary, though I think Europe is a bit over presented
    * I dont't think Israel is a "civilization", they have only existed for 50 years. America is ok, but anything after that just doesnt seem right to me, unless they mean the global region like Germany.

--> I prefer Ethiopia, Tibet or anything near Australia but I don't think it's likely :)

I would also love to see a wordmap scenario where ALL civs are represented... would be even better if you could also choose the leader. But it might get a bit crowded in the middle East if Sumeria, Israel, or the Hittites are added.

11. Jono

Jono Emperor

I think everyone was talking about the Kingdom of Israel (could be a modern UU though).

12. chaz1356

chaz1356 Warlord

Israel would be a good fit but im curious, how come hitler isnt a leader for germany.....screw the people who think its offensive, its history and he would be a good leader in the game

13. Jono

Jono Emperor

I'm okay with that — if Stalin can be a leader, there's no reason Hitler can't be. I do, however, think two leaders are enough for one civilization. I mean, with the option of picking any combination of leader and civilization in multiplayer games, you could simply start a "hotseat" game alone.

14. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

This has been discussed exactly 465,356,284 times, but, yes, there is- Stalin turned a backwards, largely rural nation into an industrial, nuclear superpower, Hitler lead his nation into a war which left it ruined and divided.
    Even if you put aside any ideological or moral issues, Hitler was a lousy leader in the long run- he was egotistical, interfering and incompetent. Maybe if he'd dropped dead in 1941, but not as things turned out in the real world. Stalin, while every bit the psychotic egotist that Hitler was, at least lead his nation to power, if not long-term success.
    Although, personally, I wouldn't have put Stalin in either. Even Mao's a questionable choice. But Hitler is quite definitely never going to happen. Using modern leaders will always lead to this sort of debate- personally, I don't think any of the leaders should be from anytime later than the 1800-ish- Victoria's probably about the latest I'd use.

15. Jono

Jono Emperor

Have you ever heard of Hitler's enabling act? That's a pretty impressive feat.

Edit: However, if they "can't" add Israel (a civilization that existed in ancient times, was exiled and then rose again in 1948), I doubt they'll add Hitler.

16. Traitorfish

It was an impressive work of political maneuvering and manipulation, yes. That doesn't change the fact that he drove his country into the ground. Half his nation was a puppet state of the USSR for the next 50 years- hardly the legacy of a great leader.

17. aelf

aelf Ashen One

18. Traitorfish

The Holy Roman Empire was just Germany, and sometimes bits of Itlay, France, etc. It's not really a viable candidate for a new civ.
    Vietnam's an option, but it seems like the most obvious SE-Asian civ would be the Khmer- they had a more unique culture and more historical importance. The historical significance of Vietnam is often over-rated due to the ridiculously heavy emphasis that the US placed on the Vietnam War.

19. Train

Train Warlord

BRAZIL and the SPANISH SPEAKER latin american nations are totally different!

Brazil is a portuguese/african major nation, while the hispanic are spanish/native american nation. The culture is totally different.

Brazil also have lot other cultures (like japanese) there you can't find on the other Latin American nations and Brazil don't have a bif influence from native americans like the hispanic ones have.

You can't say that Brazil and Latin America are part of same culture.

If it is to have a Latin American civ, there are 2 options, Hispanic America (Bolivar's dream) or Brazil. I vote for Brazil, since the Hispanic America never existed and Brazil have an unique culture.

20. Joebasalt13

Joebasalt13 Warlord

Oh Canada! We need Canada!

Also...??? Ukraine? I don't know but we need CANADA!