Only two civs remain...

I agree with you, LastOne: Siam will probably be the SE Asian civ included, simply because it is the best known of the top contenders amongst the game's core demographic (Khmer may be too obscure, and the Vietnamese might not fly well in N. America). Of any and all possible civs to fill the remaining slots, I do hope one of the SE Asian civs do make it.

well, i have to disagreâ with you somewhat about your thoughts about Vietnam. unless the majority of Civilization players are Vietnam War veterans or those that have been very very very much directly affected by the war, i don't think the Americans will have that much trouble with Vietnam.
otherwise, because Americans LOVE our awesome Vietnamese PHO, i think it could do decent in America.

however, i still think that Siam has about an equal chance as Vietnam in being the southeast Asian civ.

If i had to pick another European Civ, i would go for (not poland,) but the Magyar (hungarians)...

I believe it's the existence of writing. There may be others but that's the most important one. There's really just three major areas where civilization sprang (Indus Valley, Yellow/Yangtze River, Tigris/Euphrates). Of these, some of the ones near Tigris/Euphrates scattered and became fragmented so we got lots of European and Middle Eastern civs.
Usually, but it is not always a necessity- the Incas achieved a rather advanced civilisation without the use of writing. However, they are an exception (just as the Mesoamerican lithic civilisations are), and every other civilisation of note has had some form of writing, such as pictograms, cuniform, alphabet, etc.
Really, there is no single factor, but the most important are the existence of writings, urbanisation and government (i.e. above that of a simple tribal level). The first has been shown to be less than completely necessary, but the second two seem to be required.

Historically Austria kicked some of the most butt for being such a tiny country in the 19thC, especially against France. Plus Da Arnold is from there :scan:

I see your point though.

I'd still vote for generic East Africa, generic SE Asia/Polynesian as those are the places most empty on the map.

I would only want Austria in if Ahhhnold is the leader. His traits: Charismatic, Financial. If you ever refuse his demands, all he says is "I'll be back."

Historically, Austria was basically part of Germany. If you add Austria, you would have to add Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, etc. Austria wasn't even the most powerful, compared to Prussia at its height.

edit: the most deserving European civs are Holland and Portugal, the only eastern european civs that come close to civ status are poland (a stretch) and hungary

Historically, Austria was basically part of Germany. If you add Austria, you would have to add Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, etc. Austria wasn't even the most powerful, compared to Prussia at its height.

False. Austria may have been germanic in ethnicity but it was never part of Germany (except for a brief period in the 1930s and 40s). Furthermore Austria was, at its height, the most powerful country in Europe, joint with Spain. Prussia only ever briefly outshone Austria in terms of power in the mid 19th century*.

*This power was used to unite the rest of the germanic states under one ruler in a manner that suited the Prussians which is partly why I consider the German civ already present to be the Prussian Germans - the other reason is that both of Germany's in-game leaders are Prussians.

I would love to see a ww2 senario with a non playable Hilter and your goal is to win the war against him and a diplomatic victory to estabilsh israel.

Oh my God! Political correct nonsence like that makes me sick! The funniest thing with WW2 strategy games are trying to win the war as Germany or Japan. If they made Hitler and Germany unplayable of political reasons, I would be shocked and angry!

LuckyStrike77:
Oh my God! Political correct nonsence like that makes me sick! The funniest thing with WW2 strategy games are trying to win the war as Germany or Japan. If they made Hitler and Germany unplayable of political reasons, I would be shocked and angry!

Yes, if Hitler's in the game at all he should be playable by everyone.

What I would like is:
Khmer
AND
Burma
AND
Java

I am very suprised that Burma is not mensioned, they were just as powerful as the Khmer and way ahead of Siam (which for long times were under tribute to them).

Most of the coastal region of SE Asia was controlled by Java for long times.

The only reason with area has been neglectid in past CIVs is our westernized "We have made everything that counts in the history in of the world" with a small ", "ok, maybe with the exception of China" view of seeing things.

I do not think Vietnam measure up to those 3. Certainly no european civ not already included do!

I am all for more civs from Africa as well, but can not make up my mind which once.

Of the european nations, Poland is most deserving. It was at one stage the largest state in Europe, it had a unique style of government, as well as unique units (winged hussar). It opened the first public libraries, (if i remember correctly) and helped to check the turkish and mongol invasions into Europe. It's historical significance is more so than Germany's (Germany has been around for around 150 years, Poland has been around for over a 100) and it's a better civ choice than polynesians, who's only contribution is getting on canoes and taking them places :p

I would like to see more non-european Civs, who aren't from the Middle East either. Hopefully, they'll add some for S/E Asia or Oceania, as those areas are embarrasingly unrepresented.:)

:Ethiopia
Polynesia
Khmer:

Kmer and (Ethopia or Sweden), thats what i want.
I just reliaze that there are 3 civs remaining unknown.

So, my Civs with their leaders;
1) Khmer - Jayavarman II (founder of the Khmer Empire)
1) Sweden - Karl XII (Alexander of the North)
3) Abyssinia - Menelik II

And of the 2 Leaders for Civs alreay in the game.
1) Meiji - Emperor of Japan (1867-1912)
2) Philip II - King of Spain

hoping for Viet Nam.

a nation for the militaristic builder.

UU: Vietcong; invisible on home territory (infantry)

no further ideas.

I personally think that Scandinavia is best left alone with the Vikings - I'm from Denmark by the way - and that Firaxis should focus on Oceania and SE Asia. Even though Sweden did some huge stuff - you did - I also think that both Austria, Hungary, Poland and Denmark participated, and that Europe has too much representation. :)

I agree on the many European Civs. But I disagree on left alone with the Vikings.

besides the Vikings are just united as the Native Americans and Celts. So bring some nothern country in. And yes then you should go for Sweden (the biggest of them all.

I agree on the many European Civs. But I disagree on left alone with the Vikings.

besides the Vikings are just united as the Native Americans and Celts. So bring some nothern country in. And yes then you should go for Sweden (the biggest of them all.

Not strictly true.. Denmark under the Kalmar union controlled a vastly larger territory and even Denmark-Norway (with the control of Estonia, Iceland and Greenland) rivaled Sweden in size.

That being said, I fully endorse a general "nordic" civ. I just happen to think it should be Scandinavia, not the Vikings. That way, you could add Margrethe I (or even Gustav Vasa or Gustav Adolp) as a logical leader.

Öjevind Lång;5487968 said:
I, like many others, think there are quite enough European civilizations in the game as it is. Adding Poland would not increase the fun level much, quite apart from the fact that it is no better qualified than, for example, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, Sweden or Denmark. Polynesia, on the other hand, would represent something new and might be very enjoyable to have in the game.

Yes but there is only 1 civ from eastern europe. Russia. And the culture of russia is really different from the rest of Eastern Europe. I believe that there needs to be another eastern European civ. Austria is like a clone of Germany even though i'd love to have them in. And they don't really show the culture of Eastern Europe (which is mainly slavic) and Austria isn't a slavic country.

[/quote] I agree on the many European Civs. But I disagree on left alone with the Vikings. [/quote]

How do you think of my idea of grouping everyone in to Scandinavia which includes vikings, Medieval scandinavia and modern Scandinavia? I think it's only right to ask your opinion since you come from Scandinavia.
I'd be surprised if Hungary makes it instead of both Poland and Austria.

Top Bottom