1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Only two civs remain...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Phoenix1595, May 25, 2007.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

we do. we do... anyone that can defeat world powers measures up to them. but i see your point with the others...

2. NYHunter

NYHunter King

The HRE is not one of my choices, and I don't think it will be in the game. But, it wouldn't kill me if it was in the game. At least it was of a good level of significance in history. There are far worse choices like Polynesia and even Texas being suggested.

3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Well, there's only once Celtic civ, and it's hardly representative of all Celts- in fact, it represents Gaul, a long-dead pseudo-nation. Firaxis have left the surviving Celts- Gaels (Scots and Irish) and Britons (Welsh and Bretons)- untouched.
    Frankly, any further European civs are a waste of space, in my opinion. I can just about accept Portugal and the Netherlands because they were historically quite important, but Poland, Hungary or Austria (which, although never part of the formal German nation, was a long-time member of the Germanic Holy Roman Empire) are best left to the modders.
    Basically, I take the view that Firaxis should be aiming to add the greatest cultural variation with their civs, and I think that means leaving that self-important runt of a pseudo-continent we call Europe alone for the moment.

4. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Polynesia isn't a bad choice. Ever tried to sail the distance they did with their boats? Also, that area needs representation.

Even though I agree with the Texas thing.

5. NYHunter

NYHunter King

I don't consider their culture and accomplishments to be important enough to world history in general to be entered into the game when there are so many other civs/cultures/nations (or whatever you want to call it) that are far more important. Now, the ISLANDS played VERY important roles throughout history but the people very less so. There is a rich and beautiful culture, but it is just not important enough for it to be one of the 34 civs.

6. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Oh, and that's not to say that the people did not play ANY level of significance. But, in my opinion, it just hasn't been significant enough.

7. Angst

The actual importance of them are somehow relevant. The most common problem with the additions currently is, that the civilizations are based in Europe and Middle East, mostly. The purpose with Civ is to rewrite history: What if China invaded Mongolia? What if Emperor Constantine didn't adopt Christianity? Alternatively, we could consider: What if the Polynesians invaded and conquered the other civs from the ocean?

There is too much lack of geographical representation. Equally, you could say, that the Zulu weren't important enough to join, but they sure as hell were important in their region. As well, the Polynesians were incredibly important in their regions.

8. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

You can bet on the Hittites, since they're the last civilization from Civilization III that aren't in IV.

I'm hoping the final civilization is either Israel or Italy.

9. NYHunter

NYHunter King

For that why not include Chicago and say what if Chicago separated itself from the U.S. and became a world power? They don't do that because there actually has to be some sort of line drawn. The people who want Polynesia only want Polynesia because they want variety. For that sake why not have a Scientist That Lives In Antartica civ? Once again, because there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Polynesia should be left up to the modders in my opinion. Or, rename your selected civ Polynesia and go with "What if Polynesia had Redcoats (or whatever UU).

If there is a third expansion pack, maybe, but please Firaxis do not put Polynesia in this second expansion pack when there are so many important civs left out.

About Zulus, not my first choice for an African civ, but I believe they did say that Zulus is actually suppose to be all of southern Africa. Could be wrong, but I remember something like that being said.

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

That's a poor comparison- the Zulus were important because they were a particular tribe which dominated a certain region. The "Polynesians" were no such thing, and the term is merely an arbitrary western term used to refer to anyone from a specific region. The reason that "Polynesians" dominated their region is because anyone there was, by definition, "Polynesian"- how could they not dominate the region?
    Of course, neither group were all that important in the grand scheme of things- the Zulus are only in the game to provide more cultural variation, and because people have heard of them- but the Zulus were at least a single tribe which did at one point control a unified nation. "Polynesian" is a largely geographical term forced upon those people by the west. There isn't, nor has there ever been, a unifying culture as the Celts had, let alone the kind of statehood held by the Romans or Chinese.

11. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Italy is definitely worthy but Rome represents it so I don't see it ever being put into the game. Would be nice though.

12. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

i ounce sailed to the other side of the Vistula river with a canoe in poland and you know how hard it was? It's hard...

Oh and before i start getting yelled at, it was a diagonal route from Warsaw to a small town near by. so it wasn't as short as you think it is.

So we have the Polynesians doing the same thing except crossing the biggest ocean on earth. That is unbelievable.

13. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Mussolini and Garibaldi were certainly not Roman.

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

yah i wish rome represented byzantines, east roman empire, Holy roman empire and Italy.

15. NYHunter

NYHunter King

I agree. Wasn't trying to say otherwise.

16. Orko The Great

Orko The Great Chieftain

i dont agree with you
    austria had a long glorious and important history
    the world would be much different without austria, that is not just a state that didn't joined germany
    a civilization like the polynesian is needed and they were great explorer with a long heritage that i think deserves a civ of its own
    israel is a ver important state throughout the whole history' and it is not eastern(believe me I am an Israeli)

17. Brancaleone

Brancaleone Warlord

Brazil. Cristo Redentor is represented in BTS, so maybe thats a sign. South America could use more civs besides just the Incas. And who wouldnt love to play as our charismatic-yet-semi-illiterate president Lula?

18. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

I could argue the first point with you, but I really don't want to end in a flame war.
    Israel would, however be another semitic civilization and given that The Arabians and Babylonians are already in game (plus the Sumerians which, after the Akkadian invasion, could also be considered semitic) I just don't see it.
    Besides, if another semitic civilization was introduced, I personally would much rather see the Phoenicians (although with Carthage in the game, that would create some problems).

19. Angst

Scientist That Lives In Antartica civ nor Chicago ain't as important as the Polynesians. When I said rewrite history it's not: Suddently a goat-praising people in Switzerland found a gold mine and became very rich and conquered France and Germany. There has to be a balance between rewriting history, historical importance and geographical representation.

I agree. If Firaxis intends to include a third expansion, Polynesians don't have to be included yet.

Yes, that is correct, they should represent that part.

Ok, you're right, and you're very smart, name a Polynesian tribe. :p Regarding the term that the Zulu were one tribe, that is correct. But Firaxis made the Zulu represent the whole of the Southern African region (see above). If you are able to come up with a proper, well-known name for the Polynesians to represent the area, bring it, and I'll shut up about them.

20. DutchJob

DutchJob Prince

why would you want israel in the game? used to need 'god' to win battles and now a client-state of the global elite and a state-structure guilty of genocide as we speak.

when they would appear in my game i would palestine them asap.