Only two civs remain...

Phoenix1595

Lord of the Two Lands
So, at last count, we know now eight of the ten new civs (See BtS Info Center for confirmed civs). Who will fill the last two slots?

Most of the previous Civ incarnation 'civs' have been included. I can think only of the Hittites as an official civ not yet confirmed to be in Civ4 (but I really don't think they will make it if Sumeria, Babylon and Byzantium are in the mix... too many Near/Middle East civs in the broth). I am hoping the developers think outside of the box and select civs we have not yet had the pleasure of playing.

Thai? Poland? Polynesian? The Oompa Loompas? Are we closing in on a winner yet? This will be a toughie.:cry:

Confirmed:

Portugal
Netherlands
Babylon
Native Americans
Maya

Other civs which are assumed to be confirmed:
SE Asian civ (due to presence of new elephant unit)
Sumerians (due to Gilgamesh and old Vanilla artwork)
Byzantines (due to Justinian)

I'm hoping that Justinian is a third Roman leader so that there are three vacant spaces and I'll go for:

Austrian Hapsburgs
Polynesians
Sub Saharan civ or the Assyrians or Numibians

I agree with you on the SE Asian via elephant, Thedrin. I've recently converted to the Austrian camp (I remember Marie Therese in my AP Euro History classes... important yet unsung in Civ), but I would have also like to have seen the Polynesians or some non-western civ that really would have shaken the boat, so to speak. Can't have them all, I guess.

The only civs I really wanted were a Native American tribe and the Mayans, which are both confirmed.

I really expect that the Hittites will be included because they are the only civ that has been in 1,2, or 3 that isn't currently in Civ4. I wouldn't mind their inclusion, mainly to the fact that I bought Conquests a week before Civ4 came out, so I never got to use them. I do realize that there may be other civs more worthy of inclusion.

I would like to see Gilgamesh for the Sumerians, and Justinian for the Byzantines basically for the same reasons as noted above. Besides that I would like to see

- Austria (which artwork was included in Conquests, if I remember correctly)
- A Southeast Asian civ (which it looks like we may get)
- Either a Polynesian civ or Poland

I still would love to see the Khmer, a Polynesian civ and Ethiopia.
The Hittites don't excite me at all.

I hear you Sneaky. But I'd be shocked if the Hittites were out, since everything else was in. Still, I'd love it if the final three where Khmer, Ethiopia and Pacific Islanders.

I don't like the idea of Sumeria either.

But my top 4 are: Austria, Poland, Ethiopia and Polynesia.

Really the expansion should of had 12 civs.

I don't like the idea of Austrians- it is, after all, just a German state that never joined the Empire. I'm not to keen on using nation-states as Civs anyway- I prefer the idea of civilizations being a little more abstract, like the Greek or Celtic civs- but Austria doesn't even have it's own language. It's historical importance does lend some weight to it's inclusion, but it's particular history also seems to emphasise this nation-state situation.
Personally, I'd prefer a civ representing a genuinely different culture, such as the East African or South-East Asian ones suggested. However, I don't think Polynesian really fits the label of "civilisation", so it's inclusion wouldn't really fit- they were a scattered, unified people of no real historical significance.. Hitties or Assyrian would also make sense. Israel may just be one near-eastern civ too many, and it's historical importance is over over-rated in the west, due to it's importance in Judaism and Christianity.

Dude Polynesians went into little canoes and rode them from Fiji to the Americas. I call that civ worthy. And it would be the second Naval UU.

Also they were never a unified nation but neither were the celts and the new Native Americans.

Ethiopia and Siam are nice options and i'm still voting for Poland. (what's your hate towards Poland, i admit it Austria should be in before Poland but what's with the hate?)

Historically Austria kicked some of the most butt for being such a tiny country in the 19thC, especially against France. Plus Da Arnold is from there :scan:

I see your point though.

I'd still vote for generic East Africa, generic SE Asia/Polynesian as those are the places most empty on the map.

I don't like the idea of Austrians- it is, after all, just a German state that never joined the Empire.

I would prefer Israel before the Hittites, and Ethiopia before Poland.

I agree adding the Hittites runs together too much with the sumerians and babylonians and I wouldn't mind seeing israel. My guess is ethiopia could be the last civ.

Although if it was all my choice, there would be way too many asian and african civs and not enough europeans...

Top Bottom