Oops! Strategies to avoid...

Ankh-f-n-Khonsu

forth-speaker of Mentu
Admittedly, it was in the background of my mind, but part of my strategy in my second game at prince level was to ignore the ocean. I had only a single coastal city with any production value, and aside from churning out a few galleons at astronomy, I didn't pay much attention to it. Besides, two of my three enemies were on my own continent.

So Rameses took me rather by surprise when he sent a galleon to the north of my Malinese empire and unloaded a few cavalry into Djenne, my research center. I knocked him out of there in no time, and took my city back, but I may as well have let him have it at that point. Compare:

The bastard annihilated my infrastructure; Djenne is a research center no more. I was doing pretty well, managing to more or less keep up with my scientific rivals, but at this point I think the game is over. The only infrastructure I really had in place was heading me toward a space race victory, and that surely ain't gonna happen now. (Truth is, I doubt it would have happened at all, but this was my second prince game, and win or lose I was feeling pretty good about it until this tragedy.)

So, avoid these strategies:

1. Ignore the ocean.
2. Leave your most important cities in the industrial era garrisoned by medieval units.
3. Assume that enemies sharing your continent will only attack from a land-based front.

A bit off-topic, but how come your city screen has decimal points? Mine doesn't. I thought everything rounded down.

It's a Warlords thing if I'm not horrendously mistaken.

Coastal tiles can be great for Financial civs too. Throw on top the Colossus, Bureaucracy, and a Golden Age, and 'kapow'!

I suppose the good thing is that he didn't pillage much - your Towns are still in tact, so once you get to Universal Suffrage you can hurry those research buildings (and get a hammer bonus to boot).

No Jewish Monastery in your Science Centre? Also try to get other religions in there if possible.

ouch, you lost your oxford! thanks for at least trying to let us learn from your mistake.

It's a Warlords thing if I'm not horrendously mistaken.
Yes, you're correct. A lot of calculated values are now displayed to two decimal points in Warlords (which can be nice for the player who wants to know things exactly). :)

If you believe you can't keep up in research you can always try the Internet Gambit. Assuming you have a Reasonable Production Centre.

No Jewish Monastery in your Science Centre? Also try to get other religions in there if possible.

Do monastaries continue to produce +10% research after scientific method? I've been wondering since someone said they didn't (i had always assumed they did).

Do monastaries continue to produce +10% research after scientific method? I've been wondering since someone said they didn't (i had always assumed they did).

no, 10% bonus to research goes obsolete. the ability to make missionaries and the +2 culture never go away tho.

You could try replacing your two workshop tiles with two farms, and then use slavery to rebuild all your science buildings.

You CAN ignore the ocean if you keep a reaonable number of mobile backline defenders. If you would have had a few cavalry who could have gone to battle with his, you wouldn't have lost Djenne in the first place.

Cheers.

If you believe you can't keep up in research you can always try the Internet Gambit. Assuming you have a Reasonable Production Centre.
The Internet does not come until the very end of the game. He'll have a lot to get through still before that time arrives. The Internet should be the least of his present concerns. ;)

Look on the even brighter side, You weren't killed.

look on a bright side, you still have Academy. :)

look at the bright side, they didn´t raze your city and pillage your cottages. :)

Look on the even brighter side, You weren't killed.

you guys know how to soften the pains :lol:
I must admit I'd quit in such a situation.
I did play on in similarly bad situations only in SGs (didn't happen often, though) and GotMs (happened for both the games I submitted, due to careless war plans : having my forbidden palace city captured in WotM 4 was painful:cry: )

If the two decimal places matter, you need to get a life.

Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with medieval units. High cultural defenses and longbows can wreck crap on rifleman.

Yeah, cabert... I still have the saved game, but haven't had the heart to go back to it, despite the valuable suggestions here. (Well, except sylvanllewelyn's remarks, which merely confuse me.)

Top Bottom