OP and UP units

Gorhaax

Warlord
Does anyone else feel like the Siege Tower for Assyria is a bit OP? They get a 200% versus cities, which is just ridiculous and brings there 12 damage up to 24, and they have a sapper ability that give +50% to all units withing 2 tiles. Couple this with a GG and a few units and you're a giant wrecking crew?

What do you guys think? What other units are a bit OP or UP?

It's strong but comparable with the hunnic battering ram which gets 300% vs cities (thus going up to 30 strength), defense vs ranged attacks, and comes very early as a replacement of the spearman.

It's weaker than the battering ram, but the battering ram is really the only big thing the Huns have going for them. Assyria has their UA, which is pretty strong, going for them too.

I'd say that the entire Shoeshine civilization is a bit OP, but the pathfinders especially, considering how you can have a Comp Bow after you find your first ruin, if you so desire.

I just remembered that the Assyrians also have their Royal Library that gives training XP equivalent to the having a barracks. Though you need one piece of Great Writing, but thats not hard to get.

but the battering ram is really the only big thing the Huns have going for them.
Actually, starting with Animal Husbandrty is pretty good, even better now in BNW than G&K since trade routes can be started with AH.
I'd say that the entire Shoeshine civilization is a bit OP, but the pathfinders especially, considering how you can have a Comp Bow after you find your first ruin, if you so desire.
This is actually part of my recent "strategy" -- Have the first 2 (or 3, depending on difficulty level) goody hut pops upgrade the scouts. This way, you are not left with a unit that can not be upgraded later, and there is still a likely chance to get another hut or two for culture/science. Having 2 or 3 CBs (ignoring terrain) early is OP, maybe. But a lot of fun!

This is actually part of my recent "strategy" -- Have the first 2 (or 3, depending on difficulty level) goody hut pops upgrade the scouts. This way, you are not left with a unit that can not be upgraded later, and there is still a likely chance to get another hut or two for culture/science. Having 2 or 3 CBs (ignoring terrain) early is OP, maybe. But a lot of fun!

Actually you can't. Once you pick one, you can't pick it until two or three later. One person mentioned grabbing CB 1st and declaring war to kill off the AI's scouts. With 3 bowfinders, some extra tech, religion, early policy, you can get an amazing start, including the fact you basically have whatever luxury is within 3 tiles of your capital the instant you place it down.

Did anyone milk all the difficulty/size achievements with the Shoshone? Just start any game and found your city. Check advanced options for 1 turn until the game ends. (I guess there are easier ways to do this, however).:goodjob:

Does anyone else feel like the Siege Tower for Assyria is a bit OP? They get a 200% versus cities, which is just ridiculous and brings there 12 damage up to 24, and they have a sapper ability that give +50% to all units withing 2 tiles. Couple this with a GG and a few units and you're a giant wrecking crew?

It's intended to be effective. It's still seems a bit tricky to take advantage of everything Assyria has to offer. The UA would reward a bottom-half-of-tree beeline, by letting you steal top-of-tree stuff from the Civs you conquer… but you are focusing on writing and mathematics for your UB and UU. I ended up wanting to just build wonders and focus on tech instead, I felt very confused and will have to restart as them.

Berber Cavalry-Basically a weaker version of the Commache Rider. Saved by the bonus on desert tiles. 5/10
Commache Rider-Good UU, couples nicley with the UA. 8/10
Great Galleass-Can easily dominate the seas and protect naval trade routes. 8/10
Impi-Aside from the ranged attack, not much else for it, but is very good for taking out cities with two attacks, as it can weaken the defences and then attack. Couples nicley with the UA, as I think it counts as a melee unit. 9/10
Kris Swordsman-Can be an incredibly OP unit with those promotions, but too random to really help much. (Still a nice idea) 7/10
Merchant of Venice-A better version of Austria's UA and a Great Merchant combined. Venice can easily spam these with the gold-producing puppets, so nice synergy. 10/10
Nau-Extra movement and gold. Perfect sea exploration unit, comes at the right time, and helps unlock the Fetoria along the way. 9/10
Pathfinder-Want to focus on everything? The Pathfinder does just that, and can serve as your military for the first 20-30 turns. 10/10
Prianchas-Wouldn't be that good if it didn't tie in with the UA, but as it does, it can be a good unit as it comes at a good time in the game. 8/10
Siege Tower-Probaly the most OP unit that ever existed. Never mind Shaka, you've got Ashurbanipal knocking on your front door, ready to steal your techs. 11/10
Winged Hussar-A nice unit of the late game, useful for both attack and defence. Gets a ton of XP with the Ducal Stables, but not much more. 8/10

I've not played BNW yet :)(), but from the last 6 months or so of speculation, this is what I picked up.

I wonder one thing about Assyria: Do they gain a tech every time they conquer a city or just once from each civ? Do they take from CS?

The Great Galleas is definitely OP. Despite the high damage, it can melee AND range attack, which make it very strong in protecting trade routes and early aggression.
If you are playing archipelago or small continent map and have 4-5 going in medieval, the world is doomed

I wonder one thing about Assyria: Do they gain a tech every time they conquer a city or just once from each civ? Do they take from CS?

Every time they conquer a new civ city. They also have to be ahead of Assyria in tech. You can't get a tech if you're the science leader. No cs

Commache Rider is my new favorite cavalry unit, that extra +1 Movement (its a promotion) makes a huge difference. I was able to pillage and plunder the land into a smoking ruins.

Every time they conquer a new civ city. They also have to be ahead of Assyria in tech. You can't get a tech if you're the science leader. No cs

You can still get tech if you're ahead in science so long as they have at least ONE tech you don't have, you'll get it.

Actually you can't. Once you pick one, you can't pick it until two or three later.

Actually, you can. Whether it is the intended behavior or not, if you enter a hut with a scout, the upgrade unit option is always there. So you can have 3 scouts, have each of them enter huts, and upgrade all 3 to CBs. The other options (culture, science, growth) do require you to pick several other options before they are available again, but the upgrade option has always been there (with a new scout, obviously).

Top Bottom