OP01 - Who wants to be a Malionaire?

oh sure, take away the part in the first post that Queen and RNGod get preference...i see how it is... ;)

alternate works out perfectly for me, actually...if anyone needs a skip, post here or feel free to PM me

pholkhero said:
oh sure, take away the part in the first post that Queen and RNGod get preference...i see how it is... ;)

alternate works out perfectly for me, actually...if anyone needs a skip, post here or feel free to PM me

:lol:

Sorry man, although actually I think running with 7 on epic is not a bad idea. Personally, this is my 5th SG on the go, and with All the Queen's Men doing the SGOTM that'll be 6, so less frequent turns on this might be a Godsend.

Alrighty. After rolling this start MANY MANY times:

I FINALLY got this position :D:

So! Discuss. We have 2 gold, 1 within the BFC and another outside, which mightn't be a bad thing. 2 pre-calendar happies is nice, and corn provides good growth. We should have some nice river tiles to the south, but remember we MUST have at least 1 gold inside the BFC at the start, so moving 1S is not an option to settle. The warrior hasn't moved yet.

OK, discuss!

well my guess would be were just south of the equator due to the desert in the north and tree's to the south. the start postion is good that river could lead to the cost which means a nice coast city if it had flood plain's along we could get a nice GP city going.

I would send that warrior SW to that forested hill ~ maybe there's another gold over there?? then, depending on what we see, perhaps settle on the plains NW of the GH ~

is omni paul playing the turns now?

I love the concept behind this game and wish I'd seen it early enough to sign on. Anyway I'll be lurking.

I've been doing something similar in a private game: I have a "Hebrew" mod, which basically just replaces the American civ with a Hebrew/Israeli one (I got some materials/ideas from existing ones posted in these forums and added my own elements to balance it) and play with the one goal/constraint that you have to found Judaism or you lose! You could create a whole series of these games, e.g. Greece must build Oracle, Parthenon and Colossus or you lose; India must found Hinduism, secure ivory (for 'phants) and build the Taj Mahal; etc.

p.s. @sand: those look like conifer trees so you can't be too close to the equator.

My guess is that Omni is sleeping. I'm not sure of the time difference (and too lazy to check it out) but he's an Aussie from Down Unda so after he drinks a Fosters and has his shrimp from the barbie w/his good pals Paul Hogan, Mel Gibson and Elle McPherson (among other Aussie stars), he goes to sleep...which is where I suspect he is now. :)

re: Trees: It's hard to tell the exact shape of the trees b/c of the high zoom level, but I suspect that it's just the trick of the scaling that makes them look triangular

australia thats the other side of the world to me in england. his time is 11.45pm-1.15am

To stay in the spirit of this variant - I think we should move towards the second goal, regardless of whether or not it is the best move strategy-wise. I know we only have to have one gold in the fat cross, but it doesn't seem right that we'd pass up this oppertunity!

Tom

i think the spot now is good if we move we don't get incense, and we could be on an icolated island which means we would have to build fat crosses right next to each other.A city to the west would be a great production powerhouse.

Well, if you moved 2 W, you could set up a later city that grabs that Corn and the Incense. the only problem is lack of food w/the "2 Gold Grab" ~

I was suggesting the move out of tactical soundness - oh no. ;) I guess we aren't being as extreme as the RB Epic 2 though (Sirian said he moved the settler towards the gems for the variant). Just a thought.

I agree about the powerhouse city as well. Hopefully there is a food resource to two so that city can work its hills and mines.

Tom

TomPW said:
I was suggesting the move out of tactical soundness - oh no. ;) I guess we aren't being as extreme as the RB Epic 2 though (Sirian said he moved the settler towards the gems for the variant). Just a thought.
I agree that themove is definitely very much in the spirit of the game, even if its not the best decision.

i say just let omni play his turns and do what h.e wants

Omni won't be playing for about another 8 hours because he did indeed post this just before he went to bed :D

I wanted to give ample time for discussion, and I'm very pleased that the question of variant vs good tactics has come up. For me, though, there are 2 things that make me want to settle in place (3 if you want to be gamey):

1. The variant states that we need to control 50% of the known world's gold. At the moment, this is the known world, and settling in place nets us 50%.

2. Whilst a move 2W looks like a production and commerce powerhouse, we can't be sure that we'd be able to work those tiles for lack of food.

(3. We've been assured by the makers of the game that in 99% of cases settling on the spot is the best option!)

So unless someone comes up with some compelling reasons to move in the next 8 hours, that's what I'll do.

I'll play 30 or 40 depending on if things get interesting. Any thoughts on builds and tech paths?

starting w/mining, I would head for BW...

conversely, starting w/the wheel and AND being financial, Pottery may be better...

at Prince, a religion run is pretty silly, i think, for mansa

Top Bottom