1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OP01 - Who wants to be a Malionaire?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by omni_paul, Apr 25, 2006.

1. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

I agree... a religion run would be silly as we're unlikely to get either meditation or polytheism first. Even monotheism could be dicey, and with our variant the religions they give would not be a priority for us anyway. We certainly want to research those ideas as we are a spiritual people, but founding those religions is not our priority.

I do intend us to accept other religions before divine right, otherwise we'll be waiting almost until monastaries are obsolete before being able to build them. But founding one? Only if it happens to be that way, not on purpose.

As for builds... I'm thinking:

Warrior > Worker > Warrior > Settler

As for techs... I'm thinking we should go for the worker techs then mysticism, so it might go something like:

Bronze Working > Agriculture > Pottery > Mysticism

That would probably take me to the end of my turns anyway.

2. n0xie

n0xie OCC-addict

First off I would move the warrior first. All those talks about if's and or's... We can make a much better assessment if we move the warrior SW to the forested hill.

Second since it's prince it's NOT a bad idea to scout around a few turns with out settler. I for one would like both gold tiles in our fat cross, in accordence with the variant, but we need a bonus food resource if we want to do that. If there is corn somewhere to the west, that would be great, else settle in place for the 5 bonus resources.

Third, I would start with a worker. That gold mine just beckons to be abused being financial and starting with mining. If we settle in place I would start with Agriculture before BW, to work the corn as soon as possible so you can work goldmine + farm at a foodsurplus at size 2. We'll be flying through ancient techs with a goldmine...

3. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

Fair point on the worker / agriculture first, depending on how long it takes us to get a worker out / research agri. Although we start with mining, so he can always be put to work mining the gold in the meantime.

Will play and post soon.

4. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Lurker Comment:

This SG has been around for two and a half days and you haven't even settled? Get to the cha-ching already! There be gold in them thar hills!

Paul, it's quite clear. Settle in place, build a worker, research whatever the hell you feel like. It's your SG. You have that power. Now go!

5. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

I guess Rex must be placated....

WHO WANTS TO BE A MALIONAIRE?

The Beginning.

Well I moved the warrior onto the forrested hill and found:

No food to the west, so we will indeed settle in place.

Turn 0 (4000 BC)
    Tribal village results: map
    Timbuktu founded
    Timbuktu begins: Worker
    Research begun: Agriculture

We get a map of the south west coast from the hut, and it's pretty barren. I'll show y'all later. Worker begun along with agriculture for the sweet sweet corn.

Turn 1 (3970 BC)

Set off exploring with the warrior (explorrior?).

Turn 3 (3910 BC)
    Tribal village results: a little gold

Turn 7 (3790 BC)
    Tribal village results: a little gold
    Timbuktu's borders expand

Turn 11 (3670 BC)
    Tribal village results: experience

Pop a hut and get experience, as well as landing right next to one of these friendly fellows.

Can't upgrade him, and he's on open ground, so we could be saying a premature farewell to our brave explorrior.

Tech learned: Agriculture

Turn 12 (3640 BC)
    Research begun: Bronze Working
    Warrior promoted: Woodsman I
    Warrior promoted: Woodsman II

Smarter than the average bear? He moved away. Must be full up on pic-a-nic baskets...

Turn 13 (3610 BC)

Our newly upgraded Woodsman II Explorrior is safely in forest when Yogi decides to come back for dessert...

Warrior defeats (0.40/2): Barbarian Bear

Deader than your average bear if you ask me.

Turn 19 (3430 BC)
    Warrior defeats (1.34/2): Barbarian Lion

While healing in the same forest, a lion decides to suicide on our brave men.

Oh and somewhere in between here (i forget exactly which turn :))

Gandhi! (/seinfeld)

Then shortly after...

Isabella! (/seinfeld)

6. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

Turn 22 (3340 BC)
    Timbuktu finishes: Worker

Turn 23 (3310 BC)
    Timbuktu begins: Warrior

Look what we found to the NE...

I wonder what that could be used for.... <cough> oracle <cough>.

Turn 24 (3280 BC)
    Contact made: Spanish Empire

Well hello Miss Pouty Pants. Miss HINDU Pouty Pants. There's a surprise. Wonder who got Buddhism?

Turn 25 (3250 BC)

Turn 26 (3220 BC)
    Contact made: French Empire

Louis Loius... oh whoah...

So now we know who the Buddhist is. Wonder if France and Spain could be coaxed into war with each other? :D

Turn 27 (3190 BC)
    Contact made: Egyptian Empire

The Mad Hatty shows up. No religion yet. Things are getting a little crowded around here.

Turn 31 (3070 BC)
    Tech learned: Bronze Working

Let the chopping begin!!

I decide to go for hunting on the road to archery (for skirmishers, don't you know). We have 2 potential sources of copper, 1 of which looks to be the overwhelmingly best site as it will provide a culture block onto our peninsula (see end screenshot).

I revolt to Slavery (no anarchy, spiritual so good on Epic), and corn is hooked up so I will chop the forest on the road to the gold for our first settler. The next player can decide whether or not to use the production swapping exploit to make a warrior and grow in between chops for the settler. Considering the gold is there begging to be hooked up I think we probably have better things to do.

Timbuktu grows: 2

Turn 32 (3040 BC)
    Research begun: Hunting

Turn 37 (2890 BC)
    Timbuktu grows: 3
    Timbuktu finishes: Warrior

Turn 38 (2860 BC)
    Timbuktu begins: Settler

Turn 39 (2830 BC)
    Tech learned: Hunting

Turn 40 (2800 BC)
    Research begun: Archery

Archery begun, but no beakers invested so it can be vetoed.

Here's the capital:

And here's the general situation. One for the dotmappers.

There are some attractive sites to the NE, and settling there will give us a nice peninsula all to our lonesome. Very handy considering the number of AIs we've already met.

Gold Count:

Total in Known World: 2
    Total under Mali Control: 1
    Ratio: 50%

7. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

The Malionaires:

1. Omni Paul > Just Played 40
    2. TomPW > UP FOR 30
    3. Sand > On Deck for 30
    4. n0xie
    5. jeejeep
    6. Strauss

And the all important...

8. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

Before I play my turns, I think we should have a bit of a debate about stuff - namely city placement. This has always been probably my weakest area of play, and although I'm improving it, it looks like I'll be charged with placing our second city, so a little discussion beforehand would be most welcome. Are we indeed going to try for the Oracle? If so, what techs should we research set up a slingshot? Theology? Code of Laws? Or do we not go for the Oracle? Later in the game I can pick up a save and run with it, but here, while everything is going to change the arc of our civ massively, I'd welcome some debate. Personally I like going for the Oracle, and we can save a couple of prophets to burn on Divine Right, just to make sure we found Islam. The logical step would be to found the second city near the marble in Paul's post - but what do others think of this?

Tom

9. sand

sand under the sun

well here's a dotmap which i made, i'm not the best dotmapper so i made it with the idea of nothing overlapping. so thats why most resources are at the 1st border expansion :

red: includes silk and clams
    blue: a town next to that bay including mable rise and cows but not fish could be moved
    yellow:has wheat copper cows and and a hill, but all after 1st expansion. has a nice oasis to the south
    green: a general area some cross FC with timbukto, most have hills to be a good production city.

if we did this plan stone henge would be a must to get early border expansion.
    and what i the NW unexplore terretory went on to another large land mass.

10. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Home alone and bored:

The sprays indicate that cities should go somewhere in that area

11. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Lurker:

Home alone and bored? More like home alone and still an idiot! Put some effort into it, Pholk.

12. n0xie

n0xie OCC-addict

Personally I would go for NE (bluedot) of the marble which will have both marble, copper, clams and rice. This will become a hammerpowerhouse at size 4 and will make sure no one can enter the peninsula, which leaves plenty of time to backfill later. This will make a nice place to build wonders, the oracle in particular.

Next up I would go for Red dot placed on the desert so it's not a dead tile. It will have cow and wheat and a bunch of grassland which would make it a great commerce city along with it's coast.

Together with cultural expansion will lock the 'peninsula' off from any AI settlers, so there won't be a rush to expand much more than that. Also we will ensure that we have copper and marble, which are crucial resources in the early ages.

I would chop all forests around both red and blue dot since we have plenty of health bonusses.

Just my 2cnts

13. sand

sand under the sun

good one nooxie i agree with you on the city placement. and we could go for the parthenon.

14. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

i like blue dot a lot. i think there will be room south of it in the fog for another city that seals the peninsula and claims the fishies. then we can happily fill our protected zone at our leisure.

I think we should also be very careful about how much we explore. As tompw will soon discover, our explorrior is scouting spain at the moment, so may not have much further to travel without OB. This may not be a bad thing, as if we discover too much gold too early it will force us into an early war before we're ready. it's for this reason that I've moved us in the direction of archery, just in case.

15. sand

sand under the sun

i think we should get an army of axes/ swords ready to attack, then either attack then or wait for construction. hopefully izzy will have a wonder.
    i think attacking before construcion would make use of our skirmishers to defend while they attack.

16. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

Skirmishers can also be very good attacking units, when given first strike promotions. They're basically Strength 4 archers, and with an extra first strike they're quite deadly. In a recent SP game I started next to India, and had Gandhi wiped out with a skirmisher army before he'd even hooked up any metals. I seized 2 holy cities by doing so - something I suggest we could do with Isabella.

Skirmishers make excellent barb busters as well. A fortified and promoted skirmisher can handle just about anything this age has to throw at them.

17. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

I'm sorry guys real life has got in my way. Either you can skip me this time - or I can play my turns late on tommorow morning (GMT).

Once again, I appologise for asking for a skip with my first turn set of this SG. I won't make a habbit of it, I promise!

Tom

18. sand

sand under the sun

i'm not botherd when you plat your turns i could play now, but if you play tommorow say finnished by 10AM-Miday GMT i could play straight after you since i usually wake up then.

19. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

Have a fry up after you wake up then! Maybe the save will be ready by 12/1 GMT (or BST as it is atm).

Tom

20. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

1: Stick with archery.
    8: Archery -> Pottery.
    11-12 IBT: Our warrior kills a bear.
    12: Settler is done. I do not want to send him out on his own with bears roaming about so I wait for a skirmisher to be built.
    14: Pottery -> Masonry (I'm heading for the marble, so we have the option of an oracle run.
    16: Skirmisher -> Granary.
    17: Gold ALERT.
    18: Gold ALERT. Rather than include seperate pictures of this gold I decided that as they were together to take one at the end of my turnset as a general overview. I suppose I should have taken one as soon as I could get them both in the picture but sadly I was :smoke:
    20: Djenne is founded - there's a picture of the location I went for at the end. (Its Noxie's blue dot)
    22: Masonry -> writing. Timbuktu has a huge commerce tile to work, so a Library here would be a step in the right direction in my view.
    24-25 IBT: Warrior defeats lion.
    26: Judasim is FIDL.
    28: Izzy adopts organised religion. Either she founded Judasim or she just missed it.
    30: We should in theory be gearing up for a war to get that gold to the north, but remember we've got another source of it as soon as our capital expands its borders.

Gold report: Known sources of gold - 4. Controlled by Mali 1. Ratio 25%.

The gold locations

The founding of Djenne.

The save. View attachment 125299