Open Borders with Minor Civs

Rod

King
There is something that wonders me already for quite some while.

The current mechanism is that if you dont wage war with a minor civ for several turns then you will enter an automatic peace treaty.

However why dont we use the same mechanism to enter an automated open borders treaty after we had peace for some while ?

As the mechanism aims to simulate normal diplomatic relationships with independent minor civs it would be just normal to open borders with them after some period.

In the current situation minor civs are just an placeholder (basically you conquer them yourself or you hope/support that you allies conquer them), but with this slightly changed mechanism they could become a real flavorful addition to the game.

Yeah I think this change would be good. Minor Civs near a Major civ are likely to be vassels of that CIV anyway in real life.

do they not come up on the list of civs on the right ?

can you not press F4 the alt click on their name ?

isnt there the option of right clicking on a unit of an opponent that you have open borders with and to DoW ?

I have a distant memories that you could engage opponent troops when you occupied the same tile.

I can think of a couple solutions, neither of which are very good, but at least maybe it'll give someone else a better idea.

1. Put Independent 1 and 2 on the sidebar, but disallow opening of the trade menu (so you can alt-click, but you can't trade with).

2. Keep Rod's idea, however, entering one of their cities with a land unit is a DoW meaning that you can pass through their territory, just not through their cities. Only problem with that is that is slows down traveling speed, and means you couldn't go through a city like Djanet. However, you can always use a boat to go around it.

Those sound good at all? Or spark any ideas?

Top Bottom