Open borders?

aapo

Chieftain
I never open my borders during games, as it seems to only help those who have founded religion. During early game in pangaia, I try to slice piece of world with cultural borders and later colonize the leftover places. If AI gets their settlers there, result would likely be war on two fronts later. I can mostly fend for myself on Noble difficulty, but I haven't won a game there. What do you guys suggest?

The key benefit of Open Borders is not that units can pass but trade routes. Trade routes can generate huge amounts of commerce for your cities especially in the late game if you do things right.

Open borders is a very useful tool for a few reasons,

The biggest being diplomacy!
AIs sending religions to you can help a lot it if you manipulate religions well (also wastes AI :hammers:).
Open Borders themselves give a diplo bonus after a period of time.
It allows your friends to attack people through your borders, the extra military support can be a great help in tough wars. (Only really significant on higher difficulies though)

Try picking a religous block to befriend (biggest or closest significant block). Getting leaders to like you will help in preventing attacks and boost tech trading.

Excellent points, Ghpstage. The only thing I'd add is that OB means you get to explore the entire map, which is extremely valuable. It's always good to know where the valuable resources are located.

I usually sign OB with everyone as soon as I have Writing and, later, shortly after I meet the more distant civs and suss out the diplo sitch. Also, I rarely found my own religion and therefore I want other religions to spread to me. OB allows that to happen both via trade routes and missionaries.

Top Bottom