1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Borders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by krasny, Oct 14, 2010.

?

Should Open Borders Be Changed?

1. Yes, having a civ park hundreds of units on your turn is silly

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. NO! I like it the way it is.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. krasny

krasny Prince

I would like to see Civ4 open borders in Civ5. Please.

That is civilisations who have an open border agreement cannot declare war whilst they have military units in the other civilisation's territory.

2. CPCMaxwell

CPCMaxwell Chieftain

Your units are instantly moved out the borders when you declare war. Just like in Civ 4.

/thread.

Edit: however there's a bug where an ennemy AI can attack you without declaring war, if that's what you're talking about.

3. krasny

krasny Prince

Well I got attacked when "enemy" units were within my borders. Whether they DoW'd or not I don't know. I was too busy wailing and gnashing my teeth.

4. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

er, i've declared when i had my troops line up right next to a city-state. no kick to border. haven't tried it with an ai civ though.

5. CPCMaxwell

CPCMaxwell Chieftain

CS borders are semi-open, you can enter them whenever you want, but this will cause discomfort to the CS unless you're at least friend with them.

Your units will be instantly kicked out of another civ's borders when you declare war on them or when the Open Border agreement ends. It seems like they are moved in your empire's general direction and not the closest neutral tile, but I haven't tested that yet. And they keep their MP.

What Krasny is talking about is a bug that allows AI to attack you without DoW. I've heard of it several times but never experienced it.

6. teks

teks Prince

I think the AI is supposed to be booted if they declare war with open borders.
    I just got rocked when I realized this was not true.
    I was in the middle of all the action, and countless wars were being fought in my lands, which I was ok with. I thought if they declared war they would be booted out where my forts and citadels would do their work...no
    three powerful civs declared war on me, and killed my units, captured cities, etc all before I could even react. I do not see a way to cancel open borders either, so IMO open borders is a death wish as it is. Especially with such backstabbing AI

7. Melchizel

Melchizel Chieftain

This is the reason why I never allow open borders.

I voted leave it the way it is because to me it is more realistic. But again, that is just my opinion. :king:

8. Collic

Collic Warlord

What's missing from open borders is the cross civ trade. Now I only use this when I know it will only benefit me, because the civ in question is far enough away and I want to scout through their territory.

It is exploitable too, but that's not my main issue, it's the removal of the positive (peaceful) incentives.

9. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

Nope, that doesn't happen. I know from experience backstabbing a neighboring AI.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Units are teleported out of unfriendly territory when you declare war, but because there are now often gaps in territory, very often hostile units get teleported to unclaimed pockets deep inside your territory where they can cause some mischief.

11. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

In Civ5, AI uses open borders to scout your border defenses.

DO NOT sign it with a neighbour you fear. If you don't believe me, try signing one with a Civ who is about to attack and watch what they do next.

They'll move units and scout right through your borders checking your units.

12. Smatt

Smatt Chieftain

It depends if you declare war (units teleported out) or sneak attack (no teleportation).

13. krasny

krasny Prince

After all my initial reservations about Civ5, this and the woeful performance towards the endgame are my only major beefs.

Mutual open borders should be a sign of trust between two nations, that should bring them together.

If this situation continues, there should be very negative consequences for the dastardly backstabber, he should suffer major penalties to relationships with other nations, including city states, and become a pariah amongst nations.

Let us hope that this is a bug and not WAD (working as designed).

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Sullla in one of his walk throughs said you could sell open borders to the AI for $$$ even if they were halfway across the map and had no real way to reach you. That sounds kind of weird.

15. krasny

krasny Prince

It's called an exploit.

16. Becephalus

Becephalus King

So the AI is just as bad as trading as every other Civ game. You are surprised?

If you don't give open borders you will get fewer DoW on you because the AI does not magically know how big your army is and wants to find out before it attacks. This probably needs some balancing...