1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OPEN letter to FIRAXIS

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Dearmad, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Morten Blaabjerg

Morten Blaabjerg Settler

Is there a way to view "top 5 cities" or demographics before the end of the game? If there is, please tell me, because I haven't figured it out yet.

If not, I find these screens utterly useless, as it is now, since you'll only see your own cities there, once you've won. And demographics won't give you any idea of how you've been doing through the game.

Please add this to the list. Easy in-game access to these screens.

The top 5 was so great for keeping track of your general progress and the nearest competition; to see if you were keeping up with the AI civs or lagging behind. It was also VERY useful for seeing where which wonders had been built, before planning out campaigns. However, I feel this culture concept has somehow taken over the role of the Wonders of the World, since conquered cities won't give you any cultural benefit. Which is a real pity, since there's no real incentive to go after those rich cities then.

2. JavalTigar

JavalTigar Overlord of the West

My main gripe about the leader/army is:

Why cant you upgrade an army? Is the 101st Airborne still using the same WW2 gear? I had no choice but to disband an Army for 100 shields no less, but I cant use those to build a wonder. Also why does the mobilization bonus not work for an Army?

And it is stupid, not to be able to rush a wonder! You can kill off 1 pop to build a factory, but not Hoover Dam? Besides the Pentagon was a rush job, it was built in one year!!

And my #1 gripe....I hate the domestic advisor!!!!:mad: I do more micro management now because she keeps changing my production orders. I'm at war and producing tanks, then I notice she has my main production city building Hovver Dam!! B@%CH!!

Please tell me there is a way to completely shut her off??!!

3. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I think it's F10 or F11. It's definitely available by hitting one of the upper function keys. You may want to check out the keyboard shortcuts listed near the back of the game manual. There are several nice time-savers in there.

4. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

they need to move the stupid end turn button (or remove it altogether). so many times I tried to center the map, but ended the turn instead.

there should be a fast way to get help on build queue, ie pop up civilopedia for a city improvement or unit.

tutorial needs to target new players to Civ. My brother has never played any Civ game, and being too lazy to read the manual, he has no idea what food and shields do.

5. buju

buju Chieftain

Gender choice of ruler...

I just started a game as the Egyptians, and the default ruler is Cleopatra. I changed the name to someone else and changed the title from Queen to Pharoah. BUT, when an advisor addresses me, he/she says madam. I would prefer to be able to choose gender.

6. Libertarian

Libertarian Pansophist

*cough* editor *cough*

7. Axraxes

Axraxes Chieftain

Chinese American - if you are trying to center the map on the active unit, just hit the "C" key - then you won't have any problems with the End Turn button.

Unfortunately, I have no pity for your brother. I have played the first two Civs and still had to read the manual for CivIII. There are a lot of subtle and not so subtle changes to this version. The manual is there for a reason, tell him to get off his butt and read. If that's too much for him tell him to pull out Chutes and Ladders or Candyland - as neither of those games take any preparation to play.

8. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Araxes, that's brutal...

The manual is definitely important, but how many of us can honestly say that we didn't even try to play the game before reading the whole manual cover to cover?

Chinese American has a good point. The tutorial should be geared towards introducing the concepts of the game to new players as well as others familiar with the older versions. After all their posturing about how dramatically different Civ3 was going to be from its predecessors, Firaxis and Infogrames sure didn't give us much help with the tutorial in explaining the concepts of the game and so on...

Essentially the Tutorial is nothing more than a regular game with a few additional domestic advisor popups. The tutorial mode in previous Civs and SMAC were a lot more descriptive and IMO helpful. I guarantee that even with a more helpful Tutorial, new players will be reading that manual anyway in hopes of trying to find some key to success.

9. GIDustin

GIDustin Emperor

Disorder: Yes color coding the cities on the mini-map would be a great idea. POSSIBLY make the disorder ones BLINK to catch your eye.

Also, I agree with the person who stated that when enemies settle a city on your contenent because there was ONE square not in your control, they are, in effect, giving you a city. Either have them try to keep the city, or make them not dumb enough to even try.

And the number one thing I would like to see in future versions is an editor that allows:

• Creation of Cities, Units, etc (Like Civ 2)
    • Ability to add icons to the default ones
    • An easier way to Add techs to the tree
    • An easier way to ADD civs (not replace) and still have the foreign advisor work.

(My .02)