1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Letter To Steam and Firaxis Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aerion, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerion

Aerion Chieftain

To Steam:

I do not want your product. Period. I especially don't want YET ANOTHER application running on my computer; connecting to the internet behind the scenes and eating up even more processing power. I don't want to be connected to the internet with Steam because I don't play multi-player games and I don't chat. I just play a few games. So I'm really jarateed off that I had to install your application. I set your application to "Offline" mode. Now every time I boot my computer, I get a freakin pop up telling me I'm in Offline mode. Thanks to your arrogance, I've gone from not wanting Steam to loathing STEAM!!!

To Firaxis:

The only reason I installed Steam in the first place was because I wanted to play your game. SHAME ON YOU for forcing me to install this bloated, big-brother arrogant piece of crap software just to play your game. There HAS to be a better way to distribute software digitally that big-brother app like this. I'd rather buy a DVD in the store than install more bloatware.

2. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Learn to cope. It isn't malware.

Rat

3. zatarra09

zatarra09 Chieftain

Steam is actually good. It doesnt eat resources, unless you are using an 8086 processor from 1986- and it automatically applies updates to your games! and your video card (if you have ATI). Its no big deal to set it to offline mode either.

All in all, stop the whining about steam...

Now if you want to whine about Civ V- thats another story =:cool:

4. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Have you ever played Team Fortress 2, or has 'jarate' become so common now that even non-TF2-playing people use it?

5. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

They didn't force you to install anything. You had the option to buy the DVD in the store or buy the game off Steam. You chose Steam. You can't blame Firaxis for that.

6. PieceOfMind

Um, are you aware that the store-bought DVD version also requires steam? Civ5 is a steamworks game. To run it, you need to have steam running.

7. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Oh, no I wasn't. :blush:

8. lovelyfunbags

lovelyfunbags Chieftain

easy option - delete all your friends on your friends list (if you have any) = no chat. 2nd easy option is to check the option that says start steam when starting the computer then you shouldn't get the reminder. you can opt out and turn off most of the features of steam that you find intrusive or dislike (maybe even the community overlay but I've not checked). at the end of the day it's just another system of DRM and there are plenty of worse efforts.

9. lynxxyarly

lynxxyarly Warlord

What a refreshing and original, thought-provoking thread this is!

Steam isn't going away. The number one online distribution service is the number one online distribution service for a reason. It's not bloatware and its not spyware and it doesn't report your browser history to the Whitehouse.

Now unless you're still rocking a Pentium 1 with that sweet 66 megahertz processor speed you aren't going to even know its consuming its pitifully small amount of resources.

Oh and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Also: search function.

10. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

Which has the same effect as all others, annoy customers and don't prevent anything.

11. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

lol steam forums word filter

12. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

There, I said the same thing as you, but much shorter.

This is just sad. Sorry to be so confrontational but it is really sad.

Note: This is my opinion of your rant, just as it is your opinion that Steam sucks. I have to listen to yours (well, technically I can chose to not read your post, but then again, you can chose to not install Steam, right?), so you have to listen to mine. I guess we're both opposed here (you think your rant is a work of genius, worth posting in this forum and I think steam is a good program).

Cheers

13. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

wannabewarlord 3 times you try to justify your harsh post by saying the OPs post was as bad as yours. I don't think that at all. I have no problem with steam, and I still see his point.

14. Tyrnak

Tyrnak Chieftain

Unfortunately, you seem to have your facts all messed up, so I can only imagine your opinions are equally with problems. You don't have to listen to, or read, his post. He does HAVE to install Steam. So you two may be opposed, however his problems are rooted in fact while yours are rooted in some fiction.

So the short of it, I acknowledge his opinion because he has his facts straight (which has nothing to do with the fact I agree with his opinion that mandatory installation of 3rd party applications is absurd and harkens to the days of forced malware being installed with shareware applications. ) while you're not even sure which way is up based on your email.

And any application which communicates data to the internet or elsewhere that is not expressly allowed can be considered malware.

15. Ricci

Ricci Prince

Mmn, not truly accurate this is. Actually, lets say that to run it legally in most of the world you need to have steam.

16. PieceOfMind

Ricci, given the forum's policy on discussion of piracy, I see that as a pretty unnecessary qualification to include. And I'd suggest not trying to take the conversation to that topic.

17. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

And here is where I call foul. He only HAS TO if he wants to play Civ 5. It's the same as you have to buy a monster machine if you want to play Crysis (for the lack of a better analogy). Or, to stretch it a bit more, you have to buy a CD player if you want to listen to a CD.

But anyhow, no point in arguing my post further (it was not adding any value worth discussing). I am not gonna either. But my opinion stands: this is a sad post and I posted my opinion about this sadness.

That is all.

Over and Out.

18. boneman

boneman Chieftain

That's because it isn't really a DRM. The primary focus is game distribution. Which it does very, very well. As someone who like to screw around with various operating systems and has done many, many clean installs, Steam is like a godsend. It's extremely easy to use, requires no fidgeting and just works (unlike gamersgate, what a POS). I have long, long since lost my half life 1 and blue shift discs, but that doesn't matter, all I have to do is tell steam to redownload and it just downloads and sets everything up if I want to play.

People like you amaze me. Steam doesn't do anything to you and if you live in BFE and can't have a passable internet connection why would you even bother with online distribution games.

19. gorillagogo

gorillagogo Chieftain

That's not accurate. I bought the game from Best Buy explicitly because I didn't want to install Steam, yet when I went to set up the game I had to install Steam anyways.

20. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Because Civ5 is not an online distribution game? :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.