1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Letter To Steam and Firaxis Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aerion, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

...no

You have to use steam only because of firaxis decision, which is what he is critizising, but it is not a requeriment at all besides from what they decided to put as a restriction to the players
    A monster machine to play crysis is needed because it has graphics which can't be run otherwise. You have to buy a cdplayer to play a cd because... do I even have to go any further?

You are so wrong in all your statements ¬¬

2. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

My sentence was against DRM programs, not steam. And it was somebody else who said steam is just a drm.

I like steam. I just understand the OP if he only plays a few offline games and doesn't like to install programms to control anything in his computer when he goes out to buy a game in dvd.

3. pat4

pat4 Believe it!!!

You can just set it so that steam does not run when your computer starts up but rater when you go to plac civ.

Steam like many other things can look terrible if you approach it ignorintly but for me is absolutely brilliant, automatically downloading patches, no cd required and obviously all the benifits it brings to multiplayer (too bad about civ V's multiplayer ;) )

4. net55

net55 Warlord

Although I understand the business model of Steam, and appreciate it, I dislike the Steam model for Civ5. Steam is not malware, but it is ‘kin’ to it. An option from Firaxis to completely not use Steam would be welcome.

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Just for the record, it does say on the back of the box that agreeing to the terms of the steam subscriber agreement is one of the requirements for playing the game. Of course one of the parts of that agreement is installing steam and having it run while you play civ5.

My only advice here is to remember to check the back of the box before you buy.

6. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

The definition of malware can vary from source to source. Some anti-malware programs flag other anti-malware programs as malware, because of the way they operate.

According to SmartComputing, malware is defined as:
    Spoiler :
    Malware can also include annoying but mostly innocuous add-ons hidden within other software, marketing ploys (adware)...

Less malicious, but nonetheless worrisome, marketing or tracking software may simply come built in to otherwise legitimate applications, driver utilities, or Web sites.

At the very least, unwanted software lurks in the background consuming valuable system resources and exposing your machine to external intruders.

I agree, the buyer should make sure to read the package carefully, but if i a website put a font-sized 1 warning at the bottom of their website saying that all the following pages will contain adware, malware, virii, would that make it ok?

All information on the web points to the claim of 'connect just once to validate and never have to connect to steam again' is just false. Seems after a set amount of time (many seem to think its roughly 1 month) steam deletes your credentials, wont allow offline mode to work until you reconnect.

7. Rachsucht

Rachsucht Chieftain

No, he is apparently copy pasting his original post, from the Steam General Discussion Forum, all over the place. They censor the word pissed to read jarateed.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590470

8. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Firaxis announced the Civ5 would be using Steamworks before the game was released, its also mentioned on the back of the box (albeit in small print, though the backs are pretty crowded anyways).

Maybe, though that certainly is not always the case. I've run Steam fine on offline mode despite not having had it connected to the net for two months (and ran it offline for another 3 weeks). I logged in offline each day (I shut down my computer at night). I've also read plenty of posts about people leaving Steam offline for months at a time with no problem, , not as often as people who had a problem for whatever reason but that would be because they had no problem and less incentive to post.

9. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Duh, if it wasn't primarily a DRM, you wouldn't need to run Steam to run Civ5... There is some faulty reasoning here.
    Nobody complains about Civ5 being downloadable from Steam. People complain about Steam being required to run Civ5. And that's the DRM part.

10. Hormagaunt

Hormagaunt Warlord

Unfortunately for me, I looked at the back of the box for exactly one thing; the system requirements. I didn't bother reading any of the rest of the stuff because hey! It's the new Civ! Cool!

Given that the text covers the back of the box and is in 4-point font or thereabouts, I went looking for the only thing that mattered. Found out the hard way that something else was sticking it's nose into the tent.

Last time I make that mistake, I assure you.

11. Maniacal

DRM is still not the primary feature of Steam. Its there and its very noticeable major feature but digital distribution and content delivery and game development is still their main focus. Hell the DRM seems to be broken on day one for all new Steam releases, it hardly seems like its been a huge focus of VALVe.

12. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

Didn't the steam-hating craze peter out a month ago or so?

13. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Well, then, let's scrap it and have everybody love Steam ?
    Because I hate this crappy piece of malware, but if I'm not required to install it to enjoy some games I would like to have, my problems with it disappear.

14. lynxxyarly

lynxxyarly Warlord

Apparently not. Everyone feels their thread is as equally important when it comes to saying the same exact thing about why they think steam is so bad.

15. 7thGate

7thGate Chieftain

I was a little annoyed by the steam requirement until I read about how SteamWorks functions. It is implementing functionality the game needs or wants to have, and the game was obviously not built with its removal in mind. Really, every game requires tons of third party software--graphics card drivers, an operating system, etc. Steam is just more visible because it gets its own process in task manager and windows, but it serves the same purpose.

I can understand why the developers used SteamWorks. Much like writing the program to run using Windows (although to a much lesser extent), it makes the game development cheaper and faster by providing functionality that the game programmers then don't need to reimplement. Less programmer time means the game comes out faster and is more likely to be profitable, making it more likely that it will receive future attention. Even if you don't like anything else about steam, it has done this much for you.

I actually have come to like Steam, which I didn't really expect. Unlike the less pleasant forms of DRM, it seems to be ok with going offline if necessary. I appreciate the ability to redownload, and I love the cloud saves; I switch computers with my wife semi-frequently, and I can keep playing the same game easily, which is great. I have lost many epic civ 4 saved games to failed hard drives and reformats over the years, and now I don't have to worry about that either.

16. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

This battle is completely, 100% decided. Retail sales of PC games have recently been surpassed entirely by digital downloads.

In my opinion it is fairly likely that future consoles will use digital distribution as well. With things like Netflix it is increasingly likely that movies will follow suit.

Hardcopies will not disappear, but they will start being a quirky sideshow the same way digital distribution once was. Digital Distribution is very, very quickly becoming the new norm and Steam has the lions share of it.

So yes, everyone now either loves Steam or wears overalls and hunts their own food with a rusty shotgun. Glad we could clear that one up!

17. ezwip

ezwip Prince

I had never purposely installed a backdoor for somebody else to use on my system, until Civilization V came out.

18. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

I know this has been discussed to death, but I honestly think I have a fairly different opinion from most of the haters of steam. For instance, I actually love steam and use it, quite literally, for all the games I play. I see it as having these advantages:

1) Built in Community
    2) Automatic and painless updates
    3) Portability to any computer without tracking discs
    4) Extremely good multi player options

I was looking forward to Civ 5 for a while, ESPECIALLY once I learned it would be on Steam. I thought this might actually be the first civ game to have really good multi player. Everyone using the same patch to prevent version problems, Built in Multi play options, large community of players. This sounded great.

But none of that happened. Instead, we have:

1) A game where multi player basically doesn't exist. Clearly this wasn't a huge priority for the development team
    2) Patches pushed through by Firaxis that actively break peoples installs, in some cases.

The potential advantages of using a great platform like steam are completely blown. Instead, the fairly minor issue of having to install Steam becomes a behemoth to those who are not comfortable yet with Digital Distribution.

As decisions go, the choice to use Steam was obviously controversial. The value vs fluff of steam has always been on trial in the Civ 5 community, from long before the game came out. And ultimately, the rationale for it? I don't eve KNOW at this point what Firaxis was going for by making this move. If it really was for the light DRM that steam provides, it seems like a pretty odd choice. Since little value to the player was made good on, I can only think of things that would value Firaxis... and none seem particularly redeeming.

All in all, this seems like buying your sister a huge birthday cake with a naked man hiding in side to burst out and serenade her. It has its up and downs, but your sister likes cute guys so you think it'll go over well. Later, after she blows out the candles, a 78 year old smelly hobo jumps out. There was opportunity for great things here, but now it was just too much trouble, you've possible damaged your sister permanently, and heck, the amount of space you used to fit the hobo could have been used for more cake.

19. Maniacal

The broken multiplayer, afaik, has nothing to do with Steam itself. That would be a failure on part of the development team, its unfortunate that the patches caused a couple of bugs but that isn't terribly unusual with early patches for games (though that doesn't excuse Firaxis).

20. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I understand the need for Steam, unfortunately. It was, in part, the ---holes that kept pirating games that forced more rigid DRM. Personally, I prefer not even to have access to the internet while playing a SP game or doing anything that is not web related. I do not trust the internet but I use it frequently. I do not want or require more interactivity and I continue to be more shocked and sadden by the rest of you that can't live with being connected ALL OF THE TIME. What is your life and well-being like when you cannot connect? Or that it becomes a security and privacy issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.