1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Letter To Steam and Firaxis Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aerion, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer Warlord

I am a steam user and I do have a few comments on this comment:

1. If you set steam to offline mode, then the reminder shows up every time you boot your computer, regardless of your settings

2. I rename/delete the movie file that plays when the game is launched. Its so horrible I would rather stare at a blank screen. Whenever I connect to steam, it sees the movie file is missing and proceeds to download it again. Is there a way to turn off this intrusive detail?

Autopatching, while useful, becomes a nuisance when you can't turn it off.

2. Dale

Dale Deity

You can turn the movie off in the file UserSettings.ini, around 30 lines down. :)

3. Arksa

Arksa Warlord

Woah, another Steam hater who doesn't know what he's talking about. Many people hate the program that is keeping PC game industry well on its feet. Throwing words like big brother-app and bloatware and spyware around without any thinking.
    Maybe welcome yourself to todays gaming and accept the situation. Firaxis put Civ 5 on Steam for a reason.

4. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

And throwing around absurd claims like This is any better?:crazyeye:

5. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Yeah, you sure make us feel YOU know what you're talking about here...
    Maybe the reason is bad. Looking at how Civ5 turned out, I think we're all entitled to doubt Firaxis competence on this one.

6. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

Let us see...

I bought games with Direct2drive: I have to install their downloader
    I have bought a software with Impulse? I have impulse installed
    I buy a game with Electronic Arts? I have to install their downloader
    I buy Civ? I have to install Steam

OOOOPPPSSS
    There is something wrong....

If I buy something with Steam, so then I understand that I have to use their stuff. It is a free choice (buy or not)
    But I bought Civilization on DVD from Amazon !!

Here, I desagree.

When I married my wife, I did not want her mother in my home !!!!

7. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Even more : I have bought software with Impulse, I DON'T have to launch Impulse to play. I can shut it off forever and never launch it again if I want, I can even uninstall it, format the drive it's on (provided my game is on another one) and still play the game each second of each day.

8. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

Now that is a very funny comment!

:D

9. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Digital reaches parity with retail in unit sales: http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100920.html

Steam has 80% market share of digital: http://www.slashgear.com/steam-face...digital-distributors-eye-the-market-11113518/

Thats a lot of people buying games. While its difficult to know whether Steam has created new sales or just taken them from other sources, with how much shelfspace I see given over to pc gaming at local software franchises I suspect there are many new sales.

10. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

Down with steam!!! RIOT, RIOT, RIOT!!!

11. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I don't really think the claim is that absurd. Retail shelf space hasn't been kind to PC gaming and Steam has lead the way in alternate distribution.

The claim is a little blanket and overstated, but it isn't flat-out absurd.

Thanks to your avatar and my niece's Spongebob addiction I can actually hear Patrick saying that when I read it.

12. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

Yes, i believe i read about Football Manager for the first time here on these forums. I am neither a sports fan, or a fan of sports games, but this simple choice they gave their users speaks volumes to me.

As you, im sure many others would choose to install steam. Myself, i have no problem using discs if it means i can skip the whole steam thing. But i ask you this; if they gave us that choice, would you have been somehow upset by it? Does me choosing not to install steam affect your enjoyment of the product?

I hope in the future when firaxis releases some complete edition, they add this choice.

13. AlpsStranger

Nah, I'd be fine with it. At the same time, I have little sympathy for people that take the Steam integration issue seriously.

I'm fine with them allowing Civ5 to be run without Steam, I just don't really care one iota that it does require it. It is the definition of a non-issue to me.

Like many others I play a lot of Source engine games so I got used to using it ages ago.

14. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I don't care either way if a game uses Steam or not or offers a choice.

15. Dale

Dale Deity

I bought Elemental, was forced to install Impulse, and forced to have Impulse run every time I played. There's also many Steam games that you buy-install off Steam that do not need Steam running to play.

It works both ways.

Steam was listed as a requirement. Neglecting that information, or choosing to purchase knowing this information, is no one's fault but your own.

Actually my mother-in-law is great, whenever she's over she cleans the house. I wouldn't mind her in my house. :D

16. AlpsStranger

Funny you should put it that way. In many cases things very much like this happen due to circumstance.

17. Andoo

Andoo Warlord

Sorry but it's not 2004 when every game is drm free like civ4. You're comparing Steam with draconic EA DRMs here, not old DOS games. Steam is the best and the most trustworthy distribution tool I can think of right now so if you hate steam, you will hate even more for future releases. I recently grabbed a new PC and am so glad I could install all of my games with a few clicks. I could also get a civ4 complete for whopping 10 bucks and gift it to my friend so that we could play along. All of this for what..about 7mb of ram occupation? I'm satisfied to have it.

18. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

The reason steam doesnt offer a choice is the same reason facebook fight tooth and nail to prevent opt-outs. Population control and Marketing research. If everyone is forced to be there then the product looks active and halthy. If they let you opt out or make it optional than many people wont use it and they will have a significantly less valuable information to sell to advertisers.

If you want a wake up call research the information exchange brokers that buy and sell data to advertisers. There is a whole dark no privacy world out there that looks striking like the high-risk mortgage and loan scandal. And we are inviting them and paying for the privilege.

19. ezwip

ezwip Prince

To me the issue with Steam is conflicting with the purchase at a retail store. At the point where I've payed the cashier and I have a receipt I'd like the game to be activated. I don't like that I'll have to go home and if for some reason I didn't have the internet I can't play it. This happened to my friend and he was upset about it. I don't like that it tells me that it's a one time check to register it, but later I was unable to play it due to a problem on their end. Then when I came to forums to talk about this I was treated like dirt and told that it didn't even happen. In both cases I was absolutely slammed and then to top it off warned for trolling. I felt like I was just defending myself and the people trolling me nothing happened to them. So I guess my hatred for Steam is wrapped in the entire experience that took place when I was introduced to it.

20. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Except that unlike Facebook, Steam doesn't require your personal information (unless you buy something, and that is the same info any other online retailer like Amazon or GamersGate asks). It also doesn't have a zillion (incredibly sketchy) 3rd party apps that have been proven to be trading user's information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.