Opening and when go to war

I just finished a game using this new strategy and achieve domination victory in year 1700. Expences problem with overexpanding can be solved with vassalisation of oponents. I first attack Louis in 1200's and he capitulated with 3 cities left. Then I sold him every extra resource for money I had. So I received about +50 something gold per turn. During war with him my research rate was 60%. After his capitulation never below 80%. After him I attack next oponent... Like with Louis sign open borders, gave him Currency and sold him resources.
At the end Brenus was only surviving oponent, 3 vassalized, 2 destroyed. I think trade is the key for good game. And of course I forget to say that I had 3 founded religions with 3 shrines and banks, grocers, markets in founding cities.

I usually play Prince - Fractal - 5 or 6 opponents on standart map.

After establishing 2 cities i start to build a military consist of Axeman or Swordsman(Depends on resources and tech i have). 7-9 units will be enough for conquering capital first. If capital falls rest of the empire is piece of cake.

Im playing a game on noble, and im kinda in a tough situation. Im in an island with 4 more AIs, which are all the same religion as me, hindu.

That sounds bad if you're a warmonger. :lol:

You can now either:
1. Spread a new religion to one of the neighbors, giving you an excuse to attack them :p
2. Go for peaceful victories

Underdawg said:
The thing about overexpanding, I almost never encounter it. Maybe because I play such crowded maps (14AI Large Fractals and 18AI Huge Fractals).

I just did a Monarch game last night, where I built only 2 cities and overtook my neighbor's 2 cities. That already cut me down to 50% research.

I presume that with larger maps maintenance costs by distance from capital are less painful than on smaller maps.

carl corey said:
...BUT you get the added bonus of having the holy city of that religion. Spread it for happiness & culture bonus, and put a shrine in there with your first Great Prophet. Works wonders. ;)
Sl. off-topic: do shrines do anything if they're not of your state religion?

Orthodox Warior said:
Does anybody has interesting openings and when do you go to war?
There is no hard-n-fast rule here... when or even if you go to war will always be dictated by the circumstances you find yourself in, and how you're trying to shape your win condition.

... unless of course you share a border with Monty. :lol:

Top Bottom