Opening and when go to war

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Orthodox Warior, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Orthodox Warior

Orthodox Warior Chieftain

I just finished a game using this new strategy and achieve domination victory in year 1700. Expences problem with overexpanding can be solved with vassalisation of oponents. I first attack Louis in 1200's and he capitulated with 3 cities left. Then I sold him every extra resource for money I had. So I received about +50 something gold per turn. During war with him my research rate was 60%. After his capitulation never below 80%. After him I attack next oponent... Like with Louis sign open borders, gave him Currency and sold him resources.
    At the end Brenus was only surviving oponent, 3 vassalized, 2 destroyed. I think trade is the key for good game. And of course I forget to say that I had 3 founded religions with 3 shrines and banks, grocers, markets in founding cities.

2. Doom Train

Doom Train Warlord

I usually play Prince - Fractal - 5 or 6 opponents on standart map.

After establishing 2 cities i start to build a military consist of Axeman or Swordsman(Depends on resources and tech i have). 7-9 units will be enough for conquering capital first. If capital falls rest of the empire is piece of cake.

3. Zarco

Zarco Chieftain

Im playing a game on noble, and im kinda in a tough situation. Im in an island with 4 more AIs, which are all the same religion as me, hindu.

4. Meatbuster

Meatbuster formerly Robo Kai

That sounds bad if you're a warmonger. :lol:

You can now either:
    1. Spread a new religion to one of the neighbors, giving you an excuse to attack them :p
    2. Go for peaceful victories

I just did a Monarch game last night, where I built only 2 cities and overtook my neighbor's 2 cities. That already cut me down to 50% research.

I presume that with larger maps maintenance costs by distance from capital are less painful than on smaller maps.

5. paulthebug

paulthebug Warlord

I go to war using my first warrior :lol: I play at noble and for fun only.;)

6. Sandman2012

Sandman2012 Chieftain

Sl. off-topic: do shrines do anything if they're not of your state religion?

7. cabert

cabert Big mouth

yes culture + money!
    1 GPT for every city in the world that has this religion (state religion or not isn't relevent)

8. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Shrines give you 1 gold for each city with that religion, regardless of the fact that it's your state religion or not, or if it's one of your cities or one of the AI cities.

9. Sandman2012

Sandman2012 Chieftain

Thanks guys. :)

10. Vizzini

Vizzini Warlord

There is no hard-n-fast rule here... when or even if you go to war will always be dictated by the circumstances you find yourself in, and how you're trying to shape your win condition.

... unless of course you share a border with Monty. :lol: