1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening Game Strategies?

Discussion in 'Eagles' started by Cyc, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I realize we're not even sure of which Tribe we'll be playing, or what our starting position will look like. When these things are known to us, our strategy may very well change in a heartbeat. I'm looking for something else. Beyond the first couple of moves. I believe we need a concerted effort in discussing strategies that will entail our first 50 moves, starting with the first move.

There are a lot of different ways to look at the begining of a game. What's your favorite way? We have some time, maybe we should run some ideas up the flagpole and see who salutes. Do you like tight builds? Like to build a Granary first? Like to plant your cities based on luxuries or a river? Like to pound Commerce till you can't squeeze anymore out of the map while you blaze toward Philo? What's your gig?

2. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

My first beelines starting a game are buliding on a hill, if possible, and then getting that first luxury connected.

3. Cyc

My first priority is to look for a second city site that will be a good Settler pump. That's why I like to follow the river, but water is secondary to Cattle or Wheat. I'm not worried about a defensive posture until later, once I know which direction the my opponents are located. Luxuries are always good. :thumbsup:

4. CharlemagneXLII

CharlemagneXLII Prince

More generally- I would like to strongly ally with the other team on our continent and go for magnetism. If the other two teams ally, and we fight our neighbours, we'll get crushed by the other two. Because of the way corruption works, it is better to have two civs, and two cores, to fight the other two teams (i.e. taking them over won't necessarily be a good thing).

This would mean we would ideally want a late medieval UU if we're not fighting our neighbours (Conquistador, Carrack, Musketeer, Man-o-War, Cossack, Sipahi) to use against the other continent.

5. Cyc

That's the kind of strategy discussion I'm looking for. Good post, CharlemagneXLII.

I. Larkin is guessing that the game won't last much longer than Chivalry. If that's the case, your late medieval UUs won't have much of a power play. But let's say we went with Japan. We'd have a strong defensive unit that packs a punch and gives a Golden Age. Then we use that to get to Military Tradition for our second wind, and come on strong with Cavalry.

6. CharlemagneXLII

CharlemagneXLII Prince

My only concern is that we wouldn't have anyone to punch. Why would the game not last much longer than chivalry? If we're separated by ocean, we would really need magnetism to get there. Even if we could make the trip by galley, it would still last until much later than chivalry in any case.

It is continents, 70% water right?

7. Cyc

I'm pretty sure it is continents with 70% water. Don't know about land bridges or shallow crossings, but there will probably be resource islands aroung the continents.

I'm just telling you what I. Larkin said. Apparently, he and Lanzelot will make an extremely hard team to conquer. Just something to think about.

8. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

My guess is that the game will go to at least the Industrial Age. I don't think it's going to be easy to conquer any of the teams.

9. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Sounds like MTDG I, from the depths of our past here.

Fuzzy Memory
    Except that it did not work out that way; somehow. I don't think anyone got to Magnetism. That has been too long ago for me to really trust my memory and I was a latecomer to that game anyway. I know we did not win; Chamnix took both a Domination and a Conquest victory on the last turn.

10. Cyc

Well, we have Chamnix on our team this time, so that's a good sign. Can't wait to see the map. Hopefully, it won't be a complicated as the rules. I even have trouble explaining them. :rolleyes:

11. Chamnix

Chamnix Chasing Time

We did get into the Industrial Age - Team MIA couldn't successfully invade the other continent until we had marines. One continent in that game started fighting early with immortals and mounted warriors. The other continent was at peace until cavalry and rails. And, MIA did not get a conquest victory - just domination :).

I'm not sure when warfare will start in this game. I think a large part of the reason that war didn't start earlier on our continent in MTDG I was that the tech pace was so fast. All teams had unbelievably generous starting positions (capital on a gold hill, grassland cow and flood plains wheat nearby, plenty of luxuries for everyone, etc.). The continents were so large (the map was about 57% water, IIRC), and the capitals were on opposite ends so that units you built in your core were practically obsolete by the time they reached enemy territory.

12. Cyc

Welcome Chamnix.

The more I read the rules, the less I like the game. This is way too complicated. Why do we need so many rules? I didn't want to go to school to learn how to play in a DG...

13. Calis

Calis on time

:yup:

You can't imagine how pi**ed I am by those German basterds (Quentin Tarantino)...

What they expect from the turn logs is so ridiculous. I am losing interest quickly right now...

14. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

it'll depend, but I think granary before settler (unless the cap is a terrible start location) is best and the cap basically builds settlers and workers until we go to war.

Any strong food source gets a granary and builds settlers/workers.

15. CharlemagneXLII

CharlemagneXLII Prince

I think, based on discussions of map balance, that the starting locations will be pretty good, so I agree with granary before settler. I might even push for delaying the first settler even longer to grow our capital more for increased science and production, which could be useful if we go for a wonder- depending on the map, SoZ or G Lighthouse are potentially very important.

16. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Maybe they're paranoid about cheating? Either that or, ahem, mean people on a power trip.

17. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

From what I've gathered here and there, they want the turn logs to be detailed enough so that a third person (refree or another player) could duplicate the turn, if needed.

Great goal, but a whole lot of work for the Turn Player, and, if the team is not expecting or desiring that level of detail, just worthless data.

For instance, turns100 blows up and has to be redone. If City A had grown to size 6 and had become a science farm (no aqueduct), does it matter for one turn which of the six citizens became geeks? Generally, no, so why record it?

True, if the second turn player was a newbie and did not how to manage a science farm, they might assign all six citizens to geekdom, which the first turn player may not have done. But still, so what? It will get fixed soon enough, either by the game (city will starve) or the next, better turn player.

Does it really matter which worker did which tasks? No. Can we indicate which worker? Surely. Do we? Depends.

:hmm:

I think there is some history at CIFO that is driving this plan. Either a bad thing happened in the past or the folks driving the game set-up are maniacs for details.

18. Calis

Calis on time

I think both of your assumptions are true. They already played 6 DGs and might had some severe problems.

For Justanick a game without these detailed logs is no DG. :confused:

19. Cyc

From what I can tell, this is exactly the problem. But we've pretty much moved past this. justanick says he's not going to play in the game (at least not under the justanick logon). :)

20. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Uh, has he ever been a Turn Player and tried to record this level of detail?

One of the sadly positive side effects of Team Saber vs. Team Free is that since the Free navy is now so much smaller, it only takes 3 hours to do a turn instead of 4, since there is much less logging of naval movement. Not as much of things like:

Cruisers
    • Meleet's Munchies (6SW of The Answer To Your Stupid Question (The Council)): 2NE, 1N, 2E and fortify.
    • Free Loader
    • Hawt Mama (2N of Boobie Town (Babe): 2W, screenshot of something, 2SW and 2S.

And just to be clear, these are pretend names and reference points. :D

Overall, I agree with justanick. I think the turn log should allow someone else to reproduce the turn. But at some point it can (and sometimes has) spoiled the fun and become mostly work.