1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation Seelowe released.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by techumseh, Jun 20, 2018.

1. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

2. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Chieftain

Congratulations Tech!

I strongly encourage everyone to have a go at this scenario. Having had the pleasure to play test it and can say it is incredibly well designed and challenging and should provide many hours of enjoyment on a hypothetical yet fascinating what-if scenario.

3. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Congratulations. Great timing with the release! I have a couple of weeks off & will be getting deeply involved in this scenario :goodjob:

4. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of response to this release so far. 20 people have downloaded it as of now, and it would be great to hear your impressions, even if you just took a peek at the files. It is a bit different from many scenarios, and requires considerable planning and preparation prior to the actual invasion. Is this an obstacle to continuing? Would people like more advice/guidance on developing a successful invasion? Let me know please.

5. Patine

Patine Warlord

I, myself, have been wrangling with cleansing my machine for a last several days of a computer virus. I believe it's about dealt with (or close to it - it's one of those potentially pernicious ones - fortunately, I don't actually store credit card numbers, bank account numbers, passwords, or such, ON my hard drive), but I will definitely take a whack at it when I'm sure my system's stable.

6. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

I am a bit rusty, a report will take some time. The good news: it works.
    Btw, haven't you noticed? Its world cup season everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

Right. :hammer2:Sometimes I'm just :confused:

8. Northerner

Northerner Chieftain

Amazing work!

I have not seen a scenario of this scale since Herbstnebel.

Looking forward to the stormy July nights I'll while away playing this.

Tanelorn likes this.
  9. McMonkey

We're having a heat wave here in the UK & I'm making the most of it. I'm not great with the heat when it comes to sitting inside as it's just too humid & I keep nodding off. It's a bit cooler this morning so I will take a look and draw up my initial plans.

10. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

What if Belgium wins? :mischief:

11. McMonkey

Wins the match versus England or wins the World Cup?

England & Belgium have both qualified from their group, so today's game is just for pride & to see who tops the group, which in theory means an easier game in the first knockout round as you play the 2nd place team. However there are no easy games at this point. Germany lost to South Korea yesterday & crashed out!

In recent years I've fallen out of love with the England national team. I remember vividly as a kid, watching Italia 90 - with Gazza crying. Passion & pride. Recently the 'team' has become a collection of individual egos, who on paper should have been a 'golden generation' but on the pitch failed to deliver.

This time England doesn't really have any stars. Everyone is there on merit & if their form drops there are others itching to take their place. The coach seems to have a clear system that the players understand & adhere to. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform against a talented team like Belgium, which itself is going through it's 'golden generation' phase. Their manager Roberto Martinez is ex-Everton & will attack, but has little in the way of defensive nous. Their striker is ex-Everton man Romelu Lukaku, a physically imposing & quick lad with a natural goalscoring ability. It should be a great game as both sides can play without the pressure of elimination.

------------

Back on subject. I wonder if it would be possible to draw up a list of technologies & the units they grant? In the ReadMe it says not to build two of the same type, one after the other. As the first part of this scenario is all about planning, I thought it would make sense to plot my order of deployment before starting so that I can get the right units deployed at the right time.

12. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

Déjà vu, the Panzers were stopped in Moscow... again :mischief:

13. McMonkey

The Germans were more like clapped-out Italian Tankettes than Panzers this year. Seriously lacking in passion & creativity. There are a few big teams struggling this time around.

14. McMonkey

I've made a start on Seelion over the past few nights at work and it's an intriguing scenario that demands the player's full attention. Obviously, organization and planning will be key to victory. My first attempt quickly descended into chaos before I'd even loaded my first unit into an invasion barge, Armed with this new knowledge of Prussian Staffwork I went back to the drawing board and came up with a far more detailed (though in many ways simpler) plan. I really want to keep track of which Division is where for my report, but also for my own 'professional' pride. However, to do this with each successive Wave is extremely complicated, so I'm planning to pool units before embarkation when they will sail as units. I also have a very clear plan for the various stages of the invasion & objective lines that I plan to follow as closely as I can.

I'm really excited about the big jump of now. Love the scenario already. It really appeals to my autistic side (surely I'm somewhere on this spectrum!).

15. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

You mean that you are role-playing actual Nazi OOBs or that you are, for example, pooling your forces and sending the units with the best stats across first?

16. McMonkey

I'm pooling the units for organizational simplicity. The invasion will require hand picked units from different divisions. Once a brachhead is established & Wehrmacht units are able to begin to build up number they will then operate as cohesive Divisions & I will track their movements. To try and organise Divisions for the invasion would be too complex to manage and it's going to be difficult to establish a beachhead as it is, without taking Pak guns in the first wave for the sake of orderliness.

This is a lot of fun, but very challenging. I'm just praying that after all the planning and buildup I don't fall flat on my face when I hit the beaches!

17. McMonkey

Unfortunately, my save was lost with the wiping of my external hard-drive. I had just taken all of London over the course of two turns, starting with an attack on Woolwich on the first turn. I also heald a line south through Tunbridge Wells to my hometown Hastings on the coast. I will have to start over when I get back from Greece in a week or so's time. I'm really enjoying the scenario and think I will be able to give you some useful feedback, but I really need to get a bit further into it before I can speak with certainty.

18. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

I've been working on refining the scenario based on my own play-throughs. I'l be releasing a v2.0 sometime this autumn. Many small tweaks to balance the different aspects of the play have been made, including bombing of factories and docks, RAF reinforcements, naval reaction events and British counter-attacks. I re-examined the events and fixed several, including the partisan events that weren't working at all. (I had left out the 'endlocations' line, and couldn't see it for the life of me! :hammer2: It's interesting that the debug feature didn't pick it up.)

There are two more significant changes as well. First, I've added the concept of 'major ports' : London (Dagenham), Southampton, and Liverpool. When each of these cities is captured, a specific (obsolete) wonder representing the clearing of that city's port can be built. That in turn triggers an additional freighter in that city. This doesn't represent the capture of ships so much as an increase in port capacity.

Second, I've changed the configuration of the south-east channel coast, removing Worthing as a port and adding Hastings (in honour of McMonkey). I have also hardened Dover as a target. Significantly more effort and planning will be required to capture it. No more quick first turn capture and flood SE England with German units! As part of this exercise, I've add some more sea-cliff terrain, but also enabled 'pionere' units to convert it to passable terrain in only 1 turn. I hope this will require (and allow) these units to be employed as the Germans intended, instead of as just more German infantry reinforcements.

And finally, I'm going to be working on the 'Describe' file and doing a proper Readme, things I overlooked while rushing to get the first version out.

19. Patine

Patine Warlord

A question. If the Home Island was being invaded, wouldn't reinforcements be summoned from the Commonwealth Realms, if a naval channel was open, or would there be enough time in your timeframe for them to arrive in any significant numbers?

20. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

Haven't looked at the scenario yet Patine? Had you done so, you would know there are Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders and a few Free French, in addition to the British themselves. Italians too, but obviously on the German side.