• Ravenna- The other city on the coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- Please specify in thread

• Abstain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the looming threat of war with Rome creeping down our necks, we must prepare on what city will be incorporated into our small yet powerful civilization. The discussion thread is here.

I feel we should take Antium. The city already has Saltpeter so all we need to do is to build a road to the city and we have muskets. Also, the city has a river and plenty of mining land. It also is close to our border so the city won't be too corrupt.

I went with Rome, as of the three cities/areas suggested and discussed, it seems to be the best. I normally favor foriegn capitals as outposts for my empires.

Any particular reason why this isn't in the polls subforum?

I voted for Antium. Seems like it would complete our ring of cities nicely.

Rome: most production, Leonardo's Workshop, it may take some time to get the resources, but that's okay. Some time later I'll show proof that saltpeter faster and closeness to our cities (for defensive purposes or whatever, certainly corruption won't be significant enough) would (edit: not) be the only reasons to go for Antium.

This thread would also be worth looking at.

we pretty much to have the saltpeter. we have no alternative to war, execpt through expensive "renting" of it, which cant be afforded for long. Only other way is to not attack and hope for the best until replaceable parts. Then we might now have rubber

The corruption factor is more significant than I realized. As I mentioned in the other thread, Rome would have 25spt and 37gpt precorruption at size 12. It would have about 49.5% corruption before a courthouse (net 13 shields, 19 gold) and about 30% corruption after a courthouse (net 17 or 18 shields, 26 gold).

Antium would have 22spt and 41gpt precorruption at size 12. It would have 37% corruption before a courthouse (net 14 shields, 26 gold) and about 23% corruption after a courthouse (net 17 shields, 32 gold). It would also increase Besancon's corruption about 2 or 3%.

So there is not a significant production difference; Antium would produce more commerce.

Antitum is the best bet. Leonardos workshop isnt worth saltpeter

Alphawolf said:
I want to have may cake and eat it too :) , I say we should take Rome and Antium.

-the Wolf

We can only take 1 Roman city under our rules.

-- Ravensfire

The following screenies are annotated to show the projected borders after our cities have expanded to level 4 (1000 culture). Also indicated are resourses theat would fall inside the cultural boundary and show dotted those just outside.

Antium

Rome

Antium will give a neater boundary but will leave a large portion of our continent for the other Civs. Rome occupies a much larger area making it easier for us to keep the other civs weak. Settlers can be prevented from reaching the central region with only a couple of units.

Antium will claim the Saltpetre at an earlier level of expansion than Rome. A colony using one of the many slave workers we will have by then will quickly solve that problem.

ravensfire said:
We can only take 1 Roman city under our rules.

-- Ravensfire

I missed that in the constitution, I saw it after I reread it. I voted for Rome any way so that's my choice. I've sent you a PM.

-the Wolf

Rome! All roads lead to Rome! Take their Capital!

Seeing as we're not going to be taking Hispalis, I'm changing my vote to Antium.

I didnt realize that rome had saltpeter. My vote for Rome. I dont think we have much in the way of a standing army to take it

Top Bottom