1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation Varsity Blues

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

https://abcnews.go.com/US/hollywood...college-admissions-cheating/story?id=61627873

The rich and powerful got busted scamming the college admissions system

From the Full House to the Big House

Nah, they'll get a slap on the hand and the guy running it will get nailed

inthesomeday likes this.
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Huh, weird, it's almost like rich people are a pack of sociopaths and maybe...just maybe...don't deserve to be rich because of their inherent worth as people?

Phrossack likes this.
  3. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Why didn't they just donate a building like other rich people?

4. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Because that would benefit all the other students at the college.

5. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I'm sure they'll be considering that distinction while they're sitting in court.

6. Peuri

Peuri Game

They got busted. That just means that they weren't wealthy enough.

7. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Because that will be given by someone with way more money than any of these people. These institutions are the gatekeepers to the upper crust of American society. That purpose is sort of lost if any B-list celebrity can get their child in by dropping a milly or two. There's just too many of them.

Ironically the whole scheme was probably abetted by the fact many of the elite academic institutions don't offer athletic scholarships. When being a recruited athlete isn't getting over-the-table financial aid there's much less scrutiny as to your background in your sport. I went through the process when I was graduating high school.

8. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Republicans just taking SHATS at colleges/universities. They currently provide tons of money to almost every operating institution in the country. If this spending is cut then they can cut taxes via reconciliation and avoid filibusters.

9. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Chief Executive Officer

Rich people are making minus GP Rate :gp: because actuall GP can't get in the college - they haven't paid and got scammed !

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

The guy running it already got nailed. He's the one who gave everyone else up.
    This guy offered a multiple layered service.

If your kid needed help preparing for the SATs and some training for interviews and a professionally prepared application, that's a service they provide, at a price I wouldn't pay but apparently a quarter of a million people have over the years.

If your kid needed some "extra boost" they would, for a price, connect you with the proper people and guide you through the process of making your donation to the school of choice in such a way that there would be no documented evidence that your donation was buying your kid in, but no misunderstanding by the university that you hadn't just given them money without expectations. It's not like you can just walk into a university campus and say "who do I see about buying a spot for my kid?" so this is a typical illegitimate service and comes at a cost.

If your kid needed a lot of extra boost, or you didn't want to or couldn't pay the kind of "buy a building and we'll make a spot for your kid" level bribe they offered an alternative method, best described as "whatever it takes." Including:

Bribes to exam proctors to provide whatever SAT score was needed.
    Bribes to college athletic coaches to list your kid as an "athletic recruit" to give them access to preferred admission at lower admission standards.
    Direct bribes to admission office staff.

Obviously this, from top to bottom, is the wealthy buying special treatment, which generally falls in the 'disgusting but unfortunately not illegal' category. Even the 'extreme' service that involves outright bribery would leave the client safely free of criminal charges if they could legitimately say that they thought they were purchasing 'help for their kid' but had no idea that the help involved illegal bribes. What has them in court is that the illegal services were purchased through donations to a "charity" that was set up specifically to make the cost of their illegal purchase tax deductible. That aspect of the operation was specifically benefiting the buyers and nobody else, so it's hard for them to claim no knowledge of that aspect of it.

They'll pay back taxes on the amount that was sheltered by the fake deduction, plus interest and penalties, and that's pretty much all that would be expected from a conviction on these charges. The guy has been running this operation for twenty years, so the giant splash 'prosecution' of these fifty recent clients is going to be held up to thousands of people who right this minute are probably talking to their accountants about filing an amended return and their attorneys about how that amended return can be leveraged to make their involvement just go away. Collecting that money is what this is all about, since the real criminal activity was on the part of the guy they already had.

hobbsyoyo and Samson like this.
  11. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

They've been doing that forever. Institutions like CUNY and the elite state Unis picked up the slack before Republicans started de-funding them and forced them to play the same games the private Unis do to fleece students.

12. Timsup2nothin

This is actually a huge part of keeping the elite the elite. It's not like little Billy BIg Bucks is going to face any stiff competition from a qualified student when he is being "recruited" for the Harvard sailing team, or the polo team, or the rowing team.

13. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

He would be facing real competition. Since he doesn't need a scholarship it doesn't matter if he quits before his first practice.

14. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Thanks guys but I wasn't really interested in an answer. I mistakenly thought that comment might be seen as humorous.

15. Timsup2nothin

That's the point. Sailing teams at Ivy League schools are allowed (expected) to "recruit" as many students from elite families as the university wants to let in. They don't need them for some actual team, and the only criteria that makes them "recruitable" is that they have been sailing.

16. Timsup2nothin

It was humorous. It was just a convenient launch pad for me to post the results of the research I've done over the past twenty-four hours.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

The paying off the proctors to correct the tests was my favorite.

18. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

I thought about taking SATs for money as a serious option once a while ago but it’s just so crazy risky.

19. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

This subject came up between a couple of older dudes on another forum I frequent. I guess this was crazy easy to do back in the day and a legit way to make serious money.

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It's almost like colleges don't take people solely based on demonstrated merit.