1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation Varsity Blues

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

She keeps breathing life into it... you dont see the hypocrisy?

Maybe thats why she's not doing so well in the polls, people know what she did.

2. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Mostly same for me (I went to Ohio State), but you're going to with a similar caliber of student at just about any state flagship. The "ranking" difference between most of them, for most majors, is negligible for an undergraduate.

And once you turn like, 26, if you aren't pursuing graduate education, nobody cares where you go anymore outside of a few glamor industries (like mine, sadly).

This is the most flagrant and perhaps most stupid case. It's hardly the only way.

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Don't think there's any reason to think she was doing so consciously. My family's reaction when I brought up my issues with that whole business at a holiday dinner made me very pessimistic about the white liberals.

4. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

What was she doing consciously?

5. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Sure, difference as like a person with experiences. But not in terms of how successful they can be after graduating. They are probably completely unaffected by the particular institution.

No no no. This is almost certainly happening a hundred times over every year, we just don’t hear about it. They caught these ones, who knows if they’ll catch the next?

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Looks to me like you are the one trying mouth to mouth on this particular dead horse...and yes, I'm sure everyone sees your hypocrisy since you display it so consistently.
    I'd guess this was actually a pretty rare form. The system is getting gamed constantly in favor of wealth. Even state schools at this point are expensive enough to filter out the "undesirably poor" pretty much automatically. The big name schools where a degree comes in the form of a ticket into the hallowed halls of the old boy network use a fairly typical "well, Little Bobby Bigbucks did volunteer work in high school, so obviously he has a better application than this guy who had an actual part time, ugh, job" and similar admissions criteria. And of course this guy's totally legal basic service of special tutoring in admissions exam preparation plus professional application preparation for a fee also games the system but in a totally legal way and there are hundreds of companies doing that.

Actual gigantic conspiracies to commit genuine crimes are a lot harder to pull off than you might think. I'm pretty amazed at how long this guy managed to hold this together.

7. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Lets see, Warren exploited affirmative action to advance her academic and professional career and now she's outraged someone manipulated admissions policy and you dont see any hypocrisy in that, but you do think its hypocritical to criticize her for what she did.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. Timsup2nothin

Feel free to defend yourself at any time.

9. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Against what? You wont identify this hypocrisy.

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Why do these kids need to go to college at all? They aren't trying to learn and they don't need it to get money.

11. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Loughlin's daughter (Jade?) was on the yacht of the USC chairman of the board when news of her mother being jailed was made public

oh boy

12. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

As others have mentioned it seems to be a prestige thing. Like literally for being able to say it happened

13. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Narcissism at best.

I went to a fancy school. I got in legit but a really backdoor machete the vines. And even though I was legit, even though I got in on my merits, I came in with so much doubt and feelings of being an imposter for not having all the classes everyone else took.

I can only imagine if I had gotten in on actual fraud, it would deeply hurt my confidence, wellness, and future success. You know, not to mention my soul.

I mean, this is child abuse on top of everything else.

Silurian likes this.
  14. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Why cant you Americans be more Asian like and just hire tutors pay for prep-classes and promise to pay for a car as a reward for obtaining certain SAT score ?

/shrugs With the Trump administration slashing education, research and attacking higher education. Might as well hail our new glorious Asian AI overlords now.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 2:48 AM
  15. Timsup2nothin

I always get quietly amused when I play this space empire building game that is set in the future. It's a German game, and obviously I play it in an English translation, but all the signs and graffiti on the walls of space stations are in Chinese characters. It's like even German game designers are acknowledging that if we manage to come together long enough to get off this rock it will be under Chinese leadership.

16. r16

r16 not deity

did Trump do much good last November ? See , it's time to attack Hollywood because ı don't somehow think much of it will ever write checks for Trump . They are wrong , they are cheating , but they wouldn't be caught if they looked mallable .

17. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I mean, most of these kids didn't even know their parents were doing this, so I'm not sure it'll nuke their confidence. And if your parents are super rich actors or hedge fund people, it's harder for me to think that these kids will be really likely to suffer from a lack of *confidence* as they go into their professional careers.

But yeah, they don't NEED college. They're rich, white and American. They'll probably be fine no matter what. It's a class thing.

18. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

I have visions of the future of Academia, with the rich kids as the Elois, mindlessly lazing in halcyon days until the sirens blow and they file obediently into the steam tunnels and to the waiting dinner tables of we Morlocks. :yumyum:

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Probably time to cut that inefficiency a little bit. There are things colleges can teach that are not possible to learn through the internet at a comical fraction of the cost. I wonder what percentage of things presently taught in college fits that description? I'd set the over/under at 10%, but without more evidence I'd have to guess under.

Losing the textbook fleecing wouldn't be insignificant either.

Making this setup less of a joke would help with future student loan issues, too.

20. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

So no one thinks these parents are awesome?

Tons of money and even jail time so their kids get into the college they wanted.

There is a hard limit to the number of Asian students ivy league colleges will take.

The SAT scores only apply until an average of 16.5% of the student population is Asian.

This number has stayed constant for 25 years.