Opinions on Morocco

Arksa

Warlord
So I started off a game as Morocco, Immortal difficulty.

The UA seems ok at start, since even the most horrible early game routes can give you quite a nice income. (+3 gold, +1 culture for each trade route with different civ/CS).
This ability however does get quite weak later in the game as it doesn't scale or anything, so in the end this is probably quite weak ability compared to others. The effect on your game after rennaissance is minimal and barely noticeable, to me at least. It might just be relative as I am making 150 GPT and the UA provides like 18 GPT and 6 culture when total culture per turn is around 250.

Berber Cavarly, while I haven't actually used them in a war yet (just having this major tension currently with autocracy France) but they seem quite a decent UU. I am quite confident the much larger France can't get past my desert tiles with well trained berber cavarly defence line. +50% desert bonus is massive and then on top of that the +15% for defending morocco.

Kesbah or whatever, is fine too but is very dependant on the amount floodplains/desert hills you are able to work. This improvement on just a desert tile is not worth it unless you use it for the defense value.

So...while I like the civ, I'm not quite sure if it's on par with most civs. Any thoughts?

I have not played them yet, but I threw together a 22 civ game with all DLC and expansion civs. They seemed to get run over fairly early, but then again that could just be poor decisions by the AI

Seems like they'd be decent with the new culture game. I was playing as Siam, but I found myself opening up trade routes between different Civs just to get the +25% tourism bonus. If I can get gold and culture on top of it just by playing as Morocco then all the better.

I'd guess Berber cavalry and Kasbah defense would make your weak-ish culture-based empire difficult to be overrun by war-mongers.

Early culture and gold are very good. It doesn't matter much that they won't scale, as one can reap compound interest from a faster start anyway.

I actually really like Morocco, good early money through trade routes, and especially if you net yourself the Petra, the Kasbahs are really neat.

get there caravans running and it makes the early game gold a non issue. its made for that exact purpose. uu is a monster when defending ur citys and kasbah on desert hills is pretty awsome. one of my fav new civs already

I actually really like Morocco, good early money through trade routes, and especially if you net yourself the Petra, the Kasbahs are really neat.

I agree - I really like Morocco - I'm part-way through my first BNW game with them. I bagged Great Library and Petra early on, founded Islam (had got 'Desert Folklore' early on from founding a Pantheon), and have made a heap of gold, faith and culture. Also managed to fend off the Zulu twice (who took out Shoshone and 50% of Iroquois cities). Kasbahs on desert hills at some strategic points proved valuable, as did (luckily) getting all my units the 'Altitude Training' promotion from Mt. Kilimanjaro (which ironically is on the edge of Zulu territory).

I think my Muslim priests might be having difficulty accepting that D.H. Lawrence's 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' was added to the Great Library of 3rd Century Marrakech :lol:

My first game was with Morocco - Standard / continents.

I think Morocco's UA is all about the early game. I think this sets you up pretty nicely by the later stages it doesnt matter that your UA is insignificant.

The Kasbah and the Berber cavalry (did i get that right? :p) are both quite useful if the map allows for it.

In my game i got Desert folklore + Petra in my border city with Russia which was dessert terrain. smacked down Kasbah's on all the dessert tiles and slaughtered Cathy's units as they tride to attack my melee units fortified in the Kasbah's. Built only two Berber cavalry units - they swooped in to finish off what ever was left each turn.

Note - ANother hidden bonus of the UA is that lots of other civ's set their trade routes to Morocco since they can gain extra gold from you and this brings in extra gold which the OP has not accounted for.

All in all a nice civ to play. Not as strong as Brazil or France on a culture game though :eek:

Its actualy verry good in late game if you have all you're trade routes you can get massive culture

I played a brief game as Morocco, got Petra and Desert Folklore (i suppose they have a desert bias) and liked them, seems another solid civ flexible and all.Kasbah and Petra while not OP are very good, next time i'll try for a tall empire and going tradition instead of Liberty (for the GE needed for Petra). I recall getting little gold in that game, due to having only 2 partners and not particularly close.

I didn't get Petra as Morocco last time I played, but Kasbah makes desert tiles OK regardless. Liked the civ's "defensive trader" theme.

I have yet to play an actual game as Morocco, but I did play the demo as them, and they were a pleasant surprise! :)
Their UA makes for interesting decisions when it comes to choosing trade routes - their +3 :c5gold: doesn't show up on the Trade Overview, so you have to choose carefully! This is unlike Portugal's UA, as that one clearly shows up in the Trade Overview, so you have little incentive to choose anything but the most profitable route.
Still unlike Portugal's UA though, their +3 :c5gold: does NOT get doubled with naval Trade Routes - in fact, they don't factor in the trade route at all! This, along side the Nau, makes Portugal the better money-printer between the two, in my opinion.

The Kasbah does make money though! :D A city with Petra and Kasbahs is wondrous to behold! In my game, not only did I have such a city, it was fed by two river-side Wheat (each making a ton of food), and it was placed in a great strategic place as a Trade Center! Trade Routes coming from and to Fes were numerous, and it made Fes one of the most important cities in the continent! :D
I also had Casablanca as a Port town and a canal, which made it the second most important city in my continent!

I could not try the Berber Cavalry...

In the end, I first assumed that Morocco would be directly competing against Portugal in the money-making business, but instead I find Morocco to be an awesome Desert civ, which is completely different in design from Portugal, or any other civilization for that matter...
I will try other civilizations first, but I am sure I'm going to play them again, full game this time! :D I had a lot of fun with them, and they seem are a really different civilization to play as! :goodjob:

I still dislike their colors though! :cringe:

Now that i think about it, doesnt Morocco logo seem a little bit of...satanic? The 5 points star on red background...uh?

Now that i think about it, doesnt Morocco logo seem a little bit of...satanic? The 5 points star on red background...uh?

It's Morocco's current flag - personally, I would prefer if they went with this one instead, as it was the one used during Ahmad al-Mansur's sultanate, but Persia stole the color scheme! :sad: They could have pulled an England-Austria and make the Red darker than Persia though (both England and Austria have White on Red, but England's is a very dark red)

I think its a pretty nice looking tent he has there, but he has a filthy mouth.

I had a good experience playing Morocco. I had the desert folklore pantheon, plus a huge number of CS within reach of my cargo ships/caravans. I was swimming in gold throughout the game. Went for a diplomatic victory although cultural or science also were possibilities.

I didn't realize that the 3 GPT isn't subject to multipliers like the sea bonus, which is too bad. But regardless Morocco still seems plenty powerful. I'm only 30-40 turns (standard) into my game with them but 3 gpt and half a monument per trade route is no small bonus in the early turns. And we all know how much incremental early bonuses add up. Plus you can't discount the extra cash you get from other civs sending you caravans and cargo ships, assuming the AI's smart enough to factor that in when deciding where to establish trade routes. Especially when getting gold is a little harder right now than pre-BNW.

I'll have to reserve comments on the Kasbah for now. Obviously it's powerful with Desert Folklore and Petra, but you can't strictly evaluate things on their best-case scenario. Especially when you're playing on Immortal (my usual level) or Deity.

Does anyone know if Berber Cavalry keep their special promotions on upgrade?

Like others have said, the beauty of Morroco's non-scaling UA is that it doesn't need to scale. In fact, it would be extremely OP if it did. The large early advantages you receive if you're well positioned, and research trade techs soon enough, carry through to the late game rather nicely. I could go on and on about why I love Morroco, but I think you have to play them a few times to really understand why their "bland" UA is so cool. It really sets you up for a variety of different victory conditions, even though it may at first seem like a terrible thing for a warlike ruler.

Top Bottom