1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the DGIII experience

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Lord Civius, May 18, 2008.

1. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

As with all Dgames new ideas are spawned to try and make the game more interesting and complex then the last. I was not here for this sites previous ones so I say this on my past experiences Dgaming elsewhere. The faction system was a great idea and looked to have much promise and started with great participation but last minute dealings dealt it a fatal blow. Taking a big chunk of the Citizenry out of the game before it even started. This caused Discord and animousity among those left sitting on the sidelines. The infighting that followed pushed away many on the side of the majority as well as the minority. A rush to save the game is now on but I think the wounds are too deep. The only way to save the game is to remove the faction system altogether IMHO.

We are now entering the age of Monarchy and our people need leaders. Let us lay down our differences and all come together to save the Dgame. I propose we have a constitutional referendum and remove the faction system. We can replace it with a Constitutional Monarchy of sorts. Elect a King and set up a Parliament or Senate of the people to divy up responsibilities. Something, anything to let all of the citizens be a part of the game and have a responsibility if they want.

This is my opinion and I welcome all others to post there opinions here also.

2. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Lord Civius, please allow me to paste what I posted in the gameplay section, concerning session 7, the interregnum, which Joe so humbly played for us. This message also goes out to everyone wondering what is going on. Lord Civius, please don't read any of the sentiments in the post to follow as being directed at you, since the words were chosen by me, based on what I was reading in the gameplay thread. I am in total agreement with your second paragraph by the way.

Hold on people!

We wanted an interregnum, and we got one. Joe got us to Monarchy in blitzkreig fashion! 14 turns rather than 22 is very good in my book.

Only 15 or so votes this time in the election.

When does the PF election close?

My humbe apologies about the Monarchy tech issue. If you want to yell at someone, then yell at me. It was my bust. I was so excited about so many other details that I forgot to look deep enough into prereqs for Monarchy.

Sorry all. Where do we go from here?

I would suggest that we close the election poll. APR takes the victory, and we move on. Most people in my faction have finals to attend to, and I have allot going on at work and with my family and my house, etc...

The people voicing themselves in this poll are the most active I think. Many of our population are college students or people who have settled down with their lives and professionals. College students are undergoing final exams, and will no doubt soon be off to summer vactations. I think we have to tollerate a slow down in the warmer months.

If we end the elections now, I could get instructions rolling for a play chat on Wednesday, and hopefully, another by Friday.

I'm going to level with you. My strength in this community is right here, on the forum, building coallitions and bringing the right people together, and leading them. Unfortunately, I also have a major weekness potentially. I cannot commit to live play chats Obviously, I cannot play the game while at work. By the time I get home, it's a mad rush of work preparing dinner, helping with homework, then getting the kids to bed, not to mention walking our dog. By then, we're talking 9PM EST.

I love this game, and I squeeze time in where I can, mostly on weekend mornings when I wake up before the kids. It's funny how we all find ways to tend to our addictions, lol.

But seriously, if my weekness is going to damage this DG much further, then I will immediately step down. My main motivation for taking on more of a leadership roll was to keep things rolling.

We need to probably seriously regroup the population, find out who's still in it for the long haul, and depend on those people to forge a plan for the way forward. I'm thinking we're down to about 20 people, who will participate in discussions and story lines here. Is that enough population to support factions?

I'm game for going along, and I feel that changing the faction aspect now is only going to derail this DG much more so than it already may be.

Again, I think we should all be happy with Joe stepping up and getting us through Monarchy so quickly. Now, let's get on with the rest of it!

~kwp Hoping to continue.

3. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

If I may, I'd like to suggest that the factions be more for RP and flavor for the game play. Meaning that the PF ruler does make the decisions, but that all citizens become members of the faction after the election. This should make it more like the traditional succession game format, but with the factions providing the RP background and the over-arching plan for the turn sessions to follow.

4. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I'm not sure we need to abandon the faction system yet. It would be nice to know if we really lost people or if they are skulking on a private site now and waiting to take back control.

5. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

I'll echo Dave's point - I don't see ANYTHING wrong with the concepts of Factions, just the actions of our first Prime Faction.

The part of the Faction concept that was most interesting to me was the possibilities of what could happen. There are lots of ways to for a Prime Faction to runs things - some good and some bad. We'd get to see more of those ways under a faction concept. That's still true, we just started with a negative example!

-- Ravensfire

6. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I hope you guys are right and the first prime faction didn't ruin the bunch. I was a part of that Coalition and take part of the blame though I was in no leadership role. Where we go from here I don't know but I hope we all can participate in our own capacities. A little more organization within the forums themselves wouldn't hurt either :) .

7. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Well, darn it. I don't mind saying this game has been more interesting for me lately than all of the begining. I have really enjoyed the role playing throughout, but concern over the game by its members shows meddle I haven't seen in CIV DGs yet. It may be out of desperation, but I like it. :goodjob:

Pardon my interuption, back to what you were doing....

BTW, Lord Civius, nice work on the Strategy Academy.

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Not so fast, how about hanging around a bit and showing us some old-time mayoral fire!

9. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Ya know, I would kinda like that, but as I don't own CIV an advenure like that would be rather difficult. It would all be very detatched, if you know what I mean. And as mentioned before, I really don't care for the slavery and religious aspects of the game.

Now if this were a C3C DG, you couldn't stop me.