1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] Opinions on the Vikings

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Inthegrave, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Inthegrave

Inthegrave Chieftain

Should they be a Norwegian Civ instead of just the Vikings?
    It seems Civ 6 had the same idea. Ragnar would still fit because he is Norse
    although he is not confirmed to have actually existed.

I have always heard from Civ players that the "Vikings" is either inaccurate or
    too generic of a term and that it should actually be Norway.

Opinions?

2. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

It's easier to spell. Actually never really considered it.

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Because Vikings are awesome! :D

4. drewisfat

drewisfat Chieftain

It's a catchall term for Scandinavians that fits better than Scandinavians. If you tried to have a Norwegian civ, you'd also need a Swedish civ and a Danish civ or else there would be hell to pay. And if each of those countries had a civ, this would be overrepresenting the region AND the Fins would no doubt be jelly.

I just looked at the civ 6 leaders and it's a real doozy.
    English
    Victoria
    Eleanor of Aquitaine
    France
    Catherine de Medici
    Eleanor of Aquitaine
    Georgia
    Tamar

As a francophile I'm so happy the choice is between two non-rulers, one Italian and one we share with England.

Quoth the Raven likes this.
  5. Inthegrave

Inthegrave Chieftain

Well see the thing is Civ 6 already got rid of the Viking Civ. They replaced it with the Norwegian Civ and they also included the Danish and Swedish like you mentioned.

I was thinking about renaming the Vikings in my Civ 4 game to Norwegian. And I was going to add Danish and Swedish Civs like Civ 6 did.

6. drewisfat

drewisfat Chieftain

They did not add a Danish civ in civ 6. You can rename them however you want, but Viking/Norse is not synonymous with Norwegian.

7. Inthegrave

Inthegrave Chieftain

Yeah re checked and it turns out they didn't, I thought they did but I don't play Civ 6 much.

I got to thinking that because I frequently see on these forums that the "Vikings" isn't a good civ name choice.

But I haven't seen any good suggestions for a replacement Civ.

8. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

I've always been comfortable with a generic Viking-civ, because that's what the civ represents. It represents all Viking culture from that era. You're not playing modern Norway.

9. unfairlane

unfairlane Chieftain

The british misunderstanding called the "berserker" should be removed. Anyone who has seen Spartacus will have noticed how Gannicus as a highly skilled warrior preferred to fight with one sword in each hand and without any heavy armour slowing him down. Or as the vikings expressed it; he fighted bare, without any "serk" = berserk.

Any warrior who was chosen to follow a viking king or chief on his longships was a highly skilled fighter, both with and without weapons, much like Gannicus and the other gladiators. And on top of that they had better weapons than the other civs, since they knew how to mix steel & iron.

Beside beeing the most skilled warriors* there is one moore thing that divides the Norwegians from the Danes and Swedes; they knew how to navigate upon open sea and they dared to do it too. The Danes never left the coast while the Swedes never reached the sea. They "sailed" the rivers instead, and we know they reached the Black sea & Istanbul that way.

* The Danish tale written to glorify the Danish king Valdemar II (ruled 1202-1241, officialy after the viking age) tells us something interesting, specially since this comes from the Danes themselves. The story says that when the Danes from time to time had angered ther mighty neigbour the Germans enough the Germans would collect their troops and go against the Danes. The fewer Danes could not handle this, the only hope they had was to ask for help from "the wild & furious northmen". And sometimes the northmen came, sometimes not, but if they came the story say the Germans would just run for their lives, they simply refused to meet the wild Norwegians in battle.

But off couse afterwards the Danes would boast about their victory, the way Danes are known to be.:rolleyes:

10. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Chieftain

11. unfairlane

unfairlane Chieftain

It`s funny but pathetic to see englishmen trying to deciffer old norwegian language. No, ber- means bare, no serk, a slang for armour. .

12. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Chieftain

I'm pathetic for providing a source that conflicted with your unsourced claims? I'd appreciate you not saying that. The Norwegian, Swedish and Danish wikipedia articles agree with my source, too.

13. unfairlane

unfairlane Chieftain

I happen to be a norwegian and quite familiar with my language as well as my heritage. Wikipedia just copies the classic perception, in this case
    what`s been written in british encyclopedias. But the brits are wrong

14. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

Vikings are good, they can build ice archers, etc.