Opposing Affinities Should Declare War Late Game

Bkeela

Warlord
Having cruised to another pedestrian Apollo win, with my forces strategically poised around my empire to protect the budding Mind Flower, I wanted someone - even all of them to go to war against me.

Should this not be the default AI programming anyway? Opposing AI factions should not only wish to defeat the player's attempt at victory for the game's sake, but for idealogical reasons.

Such a mechanic could open up some interesting early/mid game choices. Should one trade with an opposing affinity because they have better trade routes knowing that in the late game they will become a serious problem? Or should one trade and support matching affinity factions even though they may be weak?

I would like to see something along the lines of a diplomatic penalty / bonus based on affinity level. So if I am affinity level 4 other affinities don't like me much, but don't hate me. At affinity level 13 I am the embodiment of what they oppose, and at affinity 18 I am become death the destroyer of worlds. Those AI who share my affinity should think I am a pretty cool guy at 4, at 13 I am doing the lord's good work, and at 18 I turn water into wine. They should still try to win, but should join wars on my side if I am attacked, maybe the dominant AI / player of each affinity should become the leader of a bloc of nations. Nato vs warsaw vs whatever.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

I would like to see something along the lines of a diplomatic penalty / bonus based on affinity level. So if I am affinity level 4 other affinities don't like me much, but don't hate me. At affinity level 13 I am the embodiment of what they oppose, and at affinity 18 I am become death the destroyer of worlds. Those AI who share my affinity should think I am a pretty cool guy at 4, at 13 I am doing the lord's good work, and at 18 I turn water into wine. They should still try to win, but should join wars on my side if I am attacked, maybe the dominant AI / player of each affinity should become the leader of a bloc of nations. Nato vs warsaw vs whatever.

Yeah, that sounds good. As opposing affinities increasingly devolop, there should be increasing animosity to match. With the building of the Mind Flower/Exodus Gate/Warp Gate - this should be the tipping point. If I am a Purity faction, dedicated to preserving mankind and rescuing the people of Earth, it should be absolute anathema for a Suprmacy faction to build a Warp Gate to destroy that which I wish to save. I'd be doing more than throwing mild insults to deter such a faction.

There should also be some kind of trade embargo mechanism that is less than war.

Yes, it would be nice if the strength of the diplo penalty/boost was proportional to how deep you and the AI were in the affinities. I don't think the average strength of the diplomacy affect needs to be changed, it should not be so strong as to completely overwhelm all other diplomatic modifiers.

Also I would love a trade embargo mechanism that could be used to stop someone from connecting their external trade routes to your cities.

I must dissent. This sounds a little like the result of Civ 4's religion system, where Diplomacy often became Hinduism vs Buddhism. I like that Affinities are a portion of diplomacy, not the portion.

Though I endorse the idea of being able to embargo trade. And giving the AI the ability to do it, as well. That could play in well for difficulty scaling, with higher levels making the AI less willing to allow human trade in their lands.

There needs to be a good game mechanics reason for different affinty empires to go to war (whther human or AI.
My 'influence' model has that..in a vaguely similar way to BNW

There needs to be a good game mechanics reason for different affinity empires to go to war (whether human or AI.)

Why? Are the standard reasons for going to war with another faction insufficient?

By late game when someone has built an Affinity wonder war should happen with everyone.

Matching affinities to the wonder should instant ally and support that player.

Opposing affinities should ally together to stop you.

The remaining affinity should form a third alliance to destroy you as well.

No complicated diplomacy needed. Turn 175 we are friends. Turn 176 I build emancipation gate, the three alliances are formed before turn 177.

The problem is that often several colonies are already on their path to victory. How do you 'calculate' those war alliances then?
Besides, in the game I just finished there was plenty of 'victory war' going 'round. It looks like if an AI colony is stronger then another colony further advanced on their victory progress, it will declare war.
Since I was apparantly too strong, and half the other AI colonies were with me on the same affinity, the AI's left me alone.

The idea of everyone overwhelmingly turning on eac other is a bad one. I wish the AI were more aggressive. But instant war at the end of the game is pretty close to an objectively bad idea.

Top Bottom