Optimal growth expansion timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

monad

Chieftain
First of all I'm usually playing on emperor, quick speed, large map.

I would like to know what are, in your experience/opinion, the optimal timings for expansion? (assume we don't care about barbs and standard speed as a reference). Specifically, I would like to know:

- starting build order in the capital (if greedy, I go worker, (buy scout), worker, settler)

- timings for the 3 expansions (for Tradition tree; mine are smt. like: 35, 55, 75) - timings are converted to standard speed

- when do you get the NC (mostly, I get it after the first three cities at ~75, while purchasing library in the 3rd)

I feel this approach is far from optimal. I sometimes had better results with 1 food pumped city, rushing NC by turn 60, and placing the settler for the 1st expansion at the same turn.. Thanks for your help/advice.

With my playstyle: If you build wide empire = grow wider whenever happiness allows (do not grow pop for that - just 3-4 pop per city, depending on terrain). (NC may be ignored until you claim as much land as you wish). Otherwise, the most important prioritet is claiming land with good defensive position, then build national wonders. :)

Most games I play are Emperor, Standard Speed, Large Map.

Build order: Scout, (Scout if Pangaea or Polynesia), Shrine, Granary/Worker (Granary before worker if Wheat, Deer, Banana available).

I'm not sure on exact timing's, but you can certainly unlock Tradition and two policies in Tradition by T30-40 if you get a scout out early. 80% of the time, your scout will find a culture goody hut in the first 10-20 turns, allowing you to get a free monument in your capital which will boost your timings immensely.

If I have a really good production start, I'd be looking at building the Great Library. You will always have a good chance of getting this if you can build it before T45 on Standard Speed. This will then open you up for a T55-60 NC. Once this is done, your scout(s) should have found many city states and money goody huts so you can buy that first settler (if not two), and your worker will have worked those capital luxuries so happiness will not be a problem for 3 cities. Leaving city building till a little later also allows you to get those last few Tradition policies at a lower cost (i.e. sooner), and tech cost won't be affected either.

Ok guys, thanks for the feedback. I usually play tall, tradition & 3 or 4 cities.

Growing 1 city as much as possible and rushing NC with similar timing as yours does indeed (most of the time) lead to a easier victories (especially science). Agree with the rest, I also tend to do similarly when going for 1 city early. One thing I usually skip is the shrine.. I find that religion is not that useful (unless I get a very strong early game pantheon) bc the AI will spam prophets anyway (which is not that bad as you can build the faith buildings). Also, GL is 95% of the time unreachable without big efforts (like aristocracy early, the wonder pantheon and/or wood chopping). I noticed that I'm usually better off by just improving the capital early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom