1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Optimal Victory for India?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Evie94, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Evie94

Evie94 Warlord

I'm about to try India on Emperor and I was wondering what everyone else finds best with them on a high(ish) difficulty level?

On King and Prince, I'd typically turtle up, go tradition, go really really tall, beeline Hanging Gardens (almost typed Hunger Games there), get three cities out and settled by 50, NC by 75 and start hitting the guilds hard, maybe taking out the most challenging Civ with a sneak attack toward the end. My Policies would generally be Tradition-Aesthetics-Patronage/Freedom.

So, in everyone's experience, is that total garbage or is it feasible on emperor? Or is there another VC I'm missing for India?

edit: also, I'm finding it really difficult to get the Hanging Gardens on Emperor. Should I go for the ToA instead?

2. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

They can do culture if you want although pretty much any civ is equally disposed to it, if you are okay with sinking hammers into walls first, you can get some tourism in your cities.
    Science is probably the next best thing, although they could do diplomacy about as well as any other civ too.
    Really the only thing I wouldn't try is domination.

3. Evie94

Evie94 Warlord

Why walls?

4. GKShaman

GKShaman Prince

Walls lead to the Mughal Fort which gives +2 culture and by flight +2 tourism.

Based on the unique building Mughal Fort(replaces castle) India is ideally positioned for the Culture Game. especially with the happiness to culture version in Aesthetics.

It generally favors having BIG cities to take advantage of UAs. Now with Internal Food Trade Routes - the India player can easily go higher than 3-4 cities to 5-8. Personally with BNW I always go 5-8. With the tall nature of cities - Freedom is favorable with Statue - but Order is also beneficial.

The war elephant unit is good for the early defending of cities against early aggression. They're also good if u want to take out an annoying city built 15 tiles away.

5. tat501

tat501 Warlord

Try going wide and building as many huge cities as you can. By late game you should lead comfortably in population.

Gun for a science victory.

6. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

Go for CV with only 3 cities and you get an achievement.

7. nimzo28

nimzo28 Chieftain

At Immortal, domination! Each time you capture a city an opponent control higher than 6, you are better with India than with any other civ. I played at least 6 games with India. One of my favorite civ.

8. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Considering the popularity of tradition policy tree right now, of course India is a favored civ. For domination, remember you're not obligated to "keep" cities other than capitols, which generally have higher populations for which India's UA is more conducive, generally, for happiness control.

9. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Science- Great setup for super tall cities and SV is better tall than wide. Internal trade routes let you pump those cities sky high too which allows you to do something India's never been able to do before, actually take advantage of their UA.

Culture-Kind of a no brainer, like others have said, the Mughal Fort pretty much makes culture the default. Later in the game, once you get a decent happiness cushion you can go wide with India and spam these things.

Domination-Their war elephant is so underrated. It's a comp bow that's available earlier, has more movement, higher defense and is cheaper to build. Like nimzo said, in the late game when you're taking bigger cities you get less unhappiness than other civs would. Try adopting order and go for iron curtain asap. Better internal trade routes and you can annex everything without courthouse maintenance both good for a domination India.

10. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

beeline Hanging Gardens (almost typed Hunger Games there)

May your food ever be in your favor.

11. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

India is suitable for every victory condition.

If you want to start conquering the world in mid game, it's UA will eliminate a lot of the happiness problems. (You'd be getting enough free happiness from your core empire to make up for the city penalty)

There's actually not that much difference between the peaceful victory conditions; you want science if you are at a high enough level to where you can't just build every world wonder with theming bonuses.

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I wonder if India would do well as an Autocracy given the happiness bonuses you get for walls, castles, etc. Futurism, Cult of Personality, etc. provide additional tourism for that culture victory as well.

13. holywar

holywar Chieftain

But don't you get double unhappiness for the city? Maybe the 6+ pop evens that out.

14. mankerlia

mankerlia Chieftain

especially with the happiness to culture version in Aesthetics.

15. Evie94

Evie94 Warlord

That's a pretty good idea actually

16. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Normally 3 unhappy for city plus 6 unhappy for population, India has 6 (double) for city, but halved population for 3. This is before any other policy/religion/building/wonder happy modifications, which would be the "same" anyway.

So, if a city is below 6 population, India's UA is detrimental. If a city is 6 it balances. If a city is 8+ you get the UA benefit in whatever amount.

So, if you capture a size 36 capitol, busted down to 18 after the capture, you get 6 base unhappy for the city plus half of 18 so 6+9=15. Everyone else gets 3 for the city plus 18, so 21, a difference of 6 happiness. This is for every large city, though. If you have 10 such size 18 cities, it's a 60 happiness difference, for example.

edit: incidentally, of course, after courthouse, or before annex.

17. Croc104

Croc104 Chieftain

India's Mughal Fort means that Neuschwanstein's castle buff doesn't apply.

Apologies if everybody knows this already but I found out the hard way last night!

In the same game I won a SV on turn 402 (emperor, pangea, standard).

18. GKShaman

GKShaman Prince

wait what??? Neuschwanstein's doesnt boost Mughal Forts? Really? This sucks!

19. Croc104

Croc104 Chieftain

Correct! It most definitely does suck!

20. GKShaman

GKShaman Prince

THIS REALLY SUCKS! Sometimes my whole strategy and reason for building walls in the first place is because of that. Gosh darn it!!!!

Granted the +2 culture for 0 maintenance is never bad.

Just to make sure - Walls and Forts have no maintenance cost correct?