Optimum Memory Requirements

protista

Chieftain
I have noticed a dramatic slowdown in midgame and beyond with larger maps, and also long delays in loading games. I also note much HD activity, and wonder if the swapfile is being used excessively? I have 128mb memory currently, would going to 256mb speed up game play? I have a pentium III, 733mhz, 16mb TNT Vanta Video chip, which I believe shares memory.

I'm running civ 3 on win 2k and noticed slow-downs like you said so I decided to run resource monitor to see how much memory and processor was being used while the game was running.

Game settings:
Huge World
16 civs
Mid-industrial era

Comp Settings:
Win 2k
256RAM
1.2Ghz Athlon

After playing for 5 turns:
Ram used was 250MB (before the game was 78MB)
And processor use was a constant 67% during my turn and 100% for the 3 minute wait periods between turns.

Conclusion:
Don't run huge maps on an upper mid-range system :cry:

I have that problem and I have 640 megs of ram and a 900mhz comp...I dont really wanna upgrade to a 2.0 ghz machine just for it to run faster...but I didn't see much slow-down until the very late game (1800's+)...I guess it does help somewhat

I never had any slowdowns... (maybe its because I have a T-Bird 1400 with 256 DDR-RAM) and a 64 megs Geforce2 MX400.. but anyways...

I don't understand you get slowdowns with a 900mhz....

I'm running an AMD Duron @ 950 Mhz, GeForce2 GTS, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, and have never had the game slow down on me. I'm running WindowsXP with the standard Nvidia drivers. I will admit that scrolling can be somewhat slow, but I've never had to wait for the AI, even though my game is currently at the year 2030 AD. I'm not sure why you would be getting slowdowns with a 900 Mhz CPU, unless pehaps it is a Celeron and you have very little RAM? Of course I've only played this game on my computer and my friend's 1.4 Ghz AMD Thunderbird, so I don't really know at what point with regards to CPU/RAM you start to get a slowdown effect.

I have a PIII 800 (yes, 733 sounds like a Celeron btw), with 256 MB of RAM and a 64MB radeon DDR card running XP. I find it to be slow between turns after 1500 AD or so.

Maybe it would run faster on a Winblows 98/ME system, I have yet to try it.

One of the annoying things I see, is if you're close to another Civ's city, it has this tendancy to re-fortify its troops in the city every single turn. Seems very inefficient.

I miss the old option: Show enemy moves, I don't wanna see them dancing around like they do on the front lines.

Top Bottom