1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Options

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Sark6354201, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sark6354201

Sark6354201 Warlord

So I recently started playing Civ IV again (just in time for Civ 5 to come out, I know), and there are a few things that have always bugged me about the game that I'm hoping someone can offer some solutions to. They are mostly interface related:

1. Map scroll speed feels slow. It isn't painfully slow, and it's not lag, it's just not nearly as fast I would like, and I haven't seen any option to change in the Options.
    2. Zoom in and zoom out speed is also too slow.
    3. Is there any easy way to take out civilizations like "Native Americans" from the game? The custom game just lets you manually pick civs, but I'd like to keep the random factor.
    4. OK, this is really just nitpicking, but is there anyway to get rid of the "recommended" city placement circle that appears when you have a settler selected? And is there anyway to turn off the "recommended" techs and build choices?

Thanks in advance

2. Scumbucket

Scumbucket Chieftain

3. Set them to playable -1 in your CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml
    4. Just turn off/on unit recommendations in your options menu

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

1. Map scroll speed feels slow. It isn't painfully slow, and it's not lag, it's just not nearly as fast I would like, and I haven't seen any option to change in the Options.
    If you are scrolling with the keys, then I agree. Map also scrolls with cursor scrolled past edge of map;
    However, this doesn't work in Windows mode. (which is why I always play full screen)

2. Zoom in and zoom out speed is also too slow.
    and you can use your mouse wheel to zoom.

3. Is there any easy way to take out civilizations like "Native Americans" from the game? The custom game just lets you manually pick civs, but I'd like to keep the random factor.
    No. You can decide the specific Civs in a game, but you cannot exclude any from random selection.
    Spoiler :
    you could probably change XML or mod; but you asked for easy and I don't know how to do this
    edit, but Scumbucket did; doesn't sound too hard

4. OK, this is really just nitpicking, but is there anyway to get rid of the "recommended" city placement circle that appears when you have a settler selected? And is there anyway to turn off the "recommended" techs and build choices?
    yes, and you should do this
    Spoiler :
    but I haven't and can't tell you how; someone (Scumbucket) else probably will
    try the Options Menus

Thanks in advance
    Have Fun

4. Tyrael

Tyrael ALC Lurker

Instead of scrolling the map, you can click on the minimap for long distance changes.

5. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Yeah, the scrolling/zooming in this game is slower than most other strategy games. I just got used to it.