1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Oracle produces no culture after conquest

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Michelangelo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Prince

Hi,

Up till now i've been a builder in my games. This time I thought let's do thing differently and try to conquer the world. I'm Caesar, and I've eliminated Saladin allready. I've kept some of his cities bc they were either on a good spot or had nice wonders in it.

I've kept his former capital which had the oracle in it. I presumed that all existing culture would disappear (which happened), but the oracle would still produce new culture for me. But I was surprised to find this was not the case.

Can you tell me if this is supposed to work this way.:confused: If so, what wonder benifits are still working after you capture it? (Will be nice for deciding on future aquisitions) :mischief:

2. cabert

cabert Big mouth

It is supposed to work this way. You don't get any culture from another civ's buildings. You gain the special effect of the wonders and the GPP.
    For oracle you gain only GPP, since the effect is one free tech and then nothing more.

3. Karnor

Karnor Chieftain

Seems rather stupid doing it like that. So if you capture the pyramids, all the citizens of the world decide the pyramids don't look very impressive any more and don't bother to visit?

Historically plenty of those wonders have changed hands, yet people still visit them.

4. AlazkanAssassin

AlazkanAssassin Engineer

Culture isn't people visiting the pyramids.

Culture is people saying "gosh, those pyramids are nifty. The egyptians sure could build."
    That is not very usefull to someone else who owns the area. The pyramids are still atributed to the greatness of the egypians.

If anything, wonders should still be generating culture for the nation that built them even after you take the city!

5. cabert

cabert Big mouth

different rules, different game!
    all those things can be modded, i think.
    But in terms of balance, you must see that warmongering is already the most effective way to play. By far.
    If a building still was generating culture after conquest, who would care to build it?
    On the ohter hand, Alazkan's option makes sense, but makes it impossible to keep a conquered city! building a wonder or two would make the best possible defense!

6. jpowers

jpowers Emperor

The French didn't become more cultured after Napoleon captured Egypt and the Pyramids (some would say they became less so). The Pyramids' cultural value stayed with those who conceived and built them. This was brought into sharp relief when the Taliban destroyed the cultural heritage of Afghanistan shortly before 9/11. Never much of a threat for a cultural victory until that time, even pro-Islamist states such as Saudi Arabia and the UAE condemned Afghanistan's actions.

7. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Prince

There is also a world wonder (in the game) called the Statue of Liberty. It gives benifits to the owner, while in RL the americans didn't built it but got it as a present from the French. Shouldn't the French get the culture????

I think you can argue in all directions. But as far as the game goes I know now how it works, and I'll use it to my advantage (I hope) :mischief:

8. cabert

cabert Big mouth

One think is certain, americans don't get it lol

9. Yzman

Yzman Deity

The French made it for the Americans. Its not a french wonder.

10. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Are you afraid we come and steal it?:confused:
    Calm down, there is a downsized version in the home town of the artist.:cool:

11. AngryPants

AngryPants Warlord

I've always thought that the Statue of Liberty was given to America in order to prevent this country from having a rational immigration policy. The French pulled a fast one on us there. Have to give them props for creativity though.

12. swinenston

swinenston Chieftain

I recently discussed culture in the game with a friend because there was one thing I did not understand. If culture is representative of the achievements, arts and beliefs of a society, why does this give you a defensive bonus to a city? Why would building the pyramids contribute to making attacking the city more difficult, same with a library or a theatre? They are not forts!

Then he enlightened me. You need to think of culture in this game as social identity. In this way the pyramids, the taj mahal, the statue of liberty are all symbols that are associated with a particular race or country. This is the reason an invading Civ does not reap the rewards; they are symbols of the previous countries achievements. This also helped to explain the defensive bonus. If a country has a strong identity, a solid set of icons, then this can help galvanise their people into getting behind their city and defending it. There are countless examples throughout history of this, the 'Blitz Spirit' is a perfect example in Britain (especially London) during WWII. Interesting point he made, I thought.