Orbis... Conquer the Ancient World

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Custom maps' started by Thorburne, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I am proud to announce the publishing of my first mod... Orbis! At its core, it is a custom map to play on based on the Ancient view of the world by the Greeks and Romans. It is a circular map focused on Europe, West Asia, The Middle East and North Africa. The map is of Huge size and features 14 Civs and 24 City-States. I also placed a number of Natural Wonders around, using the default ones (Gibralter, Mt. Sinai, etc) in their correct place where possible. I used other default Natural Wonders to represent ones that are not in the core game like Mt Versuvius, Olympus, etc. Hopefully I (or somebody with much more experience and know-how) will be able to update the map with new Natural Wonders created specifically for this map. If anybody can help, please PM me or post here.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy and appreciate any feedback. :D

Civilizations
    1. Arabia
    2. Babylon
    3. Carthage
    4. Celts
    5. Egypt
    6. England
    7. Ethiopia
    8. Germany
    9. Greece
    10. Huns
    11. India
    12. Persia
    13. Rome
    14. Spain

Note... Celts are located in Gaul (France) despite their cities being from Ireland.

City-States
    1. Almaty
    2. Budapest
    3. Colombo
    4. Geneva
    5. Hattushash (Hittites)
    6. Jerusalem
    7. Kathmandu
    8. Knossos (Minoans)
    9. Leptis Magna
    10. Lhasa
    11. Lisbon
    12. Marrakech
    13. Monaco
    14. Prague
    15. Ragusa
    16. Sidon
    17. Singapore
    18. Sparta
    19. Syracuse (Sicily)
    20. Tarquinia (Etruscans)
    21. Troy
    22. Tyre
    23. Wittenberg
    24. Yerevan

Note: The City-States in italics were created for this map. They should all be roughly in their correct positions.

Here is the Workshop Link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=83879910&searchtext=

CFC Database:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19671

2. iloveciv5

iloveciv5 bluesolid100

Sounds interesting, is there a manual download? Also, I would like to see some screen shots.

3. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I added the link to the Database in the OP. I will work on getting screenshots over the next couple days, hopefully. The map image that I included is what I based the map on.

4. iloveciv5

iloveciv5 bluesolid100

Very nice! This map is pretty much my favorite Mediterranean map!

5. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

The new city states don't seem to be placed on the map...

6. iloveciv5

iloveciv5 bluesolid100

I figured that out just now.

7. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

THat is strange... in my test plays, they are there. Not to sound condesending or anything (just trying to troubleshoot)... but are you loading the mod correctly? Tarquinia should be near Rome, and Sparta should be south of Greece. Troy should be in the upper west coast of Turkey.

Has anybody else encountered this? Also, what civilizations are you playing as?

8. iloveciv5

iloveciv5 bluesolid100

Playing as the Roman Empire.

9. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Hmmm... I haven't played with Rome yet. My test Civs so far have been The Celts and Carthage. With both, the new City-States are there in all of there glory. I'm a little puzzled that it isn't working for you. Are they listed in the Civilopedia? They should be! Check under Militaristic for Sparta...

Also, do you have any other mods loaded with it? In my Carthage game, I have CityState Diplomacy mod loaded and they are still there as they are supposed to be. Do the Civs appear to be in their "correct" locations?

10. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

All civs and standard city states appear in their correct locations, but the new ones are missing. They are listed in the civilopedia. I don't use any other mods.

When I load the map in the World Builder, and go to the "scenario editor", there are only the 17 standard city states listed there. Perhaps you use a different version of the map than the one you uploaded to the Steam Workshop?

11. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

OK... I think that I've got it now. I had some trouble trying to get the updates, but it should work correctly now. Please let me know if you notice anything wrong or have any issues running the mod.

12. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I updated the mod to the new version from the Workshop, but still the new city states are missing :(

Edit: I also noticed that Singapore has no starting location, so it starts in a random place.

13. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Thanks for the feedback guys. I reworked it and it should now be the correct version. I removed the map that was in Modbuddy and verified that the version that I added was the most updated version. I also did some slight modification and added the Songhai Empire to fill in Africa a little bit more (from my playtest experience with Carthage).

Please let me know how it works and if everything is showing up correctly now. Again, I appreciate your feedback and for bringing the issues to my attention.

14. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Thanks, the problem with city states is fixed now :) Adding Songhai is a good idea, but I think they should have some Horses near their starting location, to be able to build their UU.

15. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Good point about Songhai. I'll look into that. It may take a little bit as I am currently job hunting which is my priority. Let me know of any other improvements and suggestions and I will work on improving them. :D:)

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

16. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Actually, now that I think of it, I may have to add some luxory resources with the addition of Songhai. When I created the map, I tried to keep the number of each luxory equal to the number of Civs (though a few may have a couple more). I did that to put more focus on trade (or conquering) in order to "max out" your civ. Anyway, I just wanted to add that in thia thread so that I can more easily catalogue the needed improvements and changes.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

17. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

One minor thing I noticed: Marrakech starts on a tile that contains the Gems resource, but when the city is founded, the Gems are deleted and replaced with Porcelain or Jewelry.

I like the map and I think I'll play a game on it soon (as Greece).

Edit: 2 more things:

• Knossos starts on an Ancient Ruins tile, the ruins are removed when the city is founded.
    • The Rome's starting location doesn't seem to be very good - founding cities one tile from the coast is usually a bad idea, also it's very close to Tarquinia. I think Rome should be moved one tile to the southeast.

18. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Thanks... I've noted those items in my checklist and will hope to have a new version by the weekend (possibly earlier... even by tonight or tomorrow if I can squeeze in the time).

Also, if anybody has the resources and/or know-how to create custom Natural Wonders, that would be great. I would like some more European (or that would fit on any part of the core continent in this map) based ones like Mt. Versuvius and Mt. Olympus. If anybody can think of other suggestions, please let me know.

While I may be able to rename some of the core NWs (though it may take some time before I can do so), if anybody can create new ones (or know of another mod out there that already does) and even customize their benefits and bonuses, I would love to incorporate it into this one.

19. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I updated the map with the suggestions you offered and a few more improvements that I noticed on my own. If you get a chance, let me know what you think.

20. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

It would be nice to see either Stromboli or Etna in Sicily. From what I gather, though, there seems to be no way to add true natural wonders to the game, though some modders have managed to make "buildable" wonder equivalents. I guess I could "build" Mt. Etna or Mt. Vesuvius but it would be weird. Maybe if they were exclusive to the Romans so they would be restricted to the Italian regions in the game, it would work.

We need those .dll files. :sad: