Orbital Bombardment

oneperson

Crazy in a box!
Got this idea a while back.

Orbital Bombardment would be like an uber-nuke.

What it would do is:

Lower a city's population by 20 (Hence destroying it if is less than 20)

Destroy any units on the target location.

Make a 4x4 square of Craters and pollution around the target.

4 points of damage to all units in the 4x4 radius.

Would cost 8000 gold per bombardment.

Requires TWO of Aluminum, Copper, Iron, Rubber, Uranium, and don't forget Oil!

Unlockable with a new tech which would have to be made.

And would probably make all the other AIs pretty angry at you.

Well? What do you think?

Better get that Tech yourself or hope the UN puts a ban on it; that'd REALLY suck if it happened to you.

I'd imagine (if it were implemented) There'd be a counter against it... And yes, it would suck if it happened to you.

It should definitely cause a MAJOR rep hit.

"They're just Narns, after all." [/B5 reference]

BTW, this would definitely be banned in RL by the terms of the Outer Space Treaty; the OST bans all weapons of mass destruction from outer space (in addition to banning territorial claims on celestial bodies)

Got this idea a while back.

Orbital Bombardment would be like an uber-nuke.

What it would do is:

Lower a city's population by 20 (Hence destroying it if is less than 20)
Destroy any units on the target location.

Make a 4x4 square of Craters and pollution around the target.

4 points of damage to all units in the 4x4 radius.

Would cost 8000 gold per bombardment.

Requires TWO of Aluminum, Copper, Iron, Rubber, Uranium, and don't forget Oil!

Unlockable with a new tech which would have to be made.

And would probably make all the other AIs pretty angry at you.

I think similar but less destructive -

Lower pop by 10, if lower than ten until pop is 1, with no bulildings

Make a 2x2 square of craters 9no pollution)

Instant to create but costs 4000gold and 2 pop

requires 3 oil and 2 uranium , 1 rubber, 2 aluminum and fresh water

unlockable with orbital bombard tech

all civs -3:) to you

for CIV IV

ps underline means I dissagree with that bit of the idea

I think similar but less destructive -

Both of the above, unlocking at different techs, one fairly near the end of the current tech tree and the other quite a bit further out ?

In my ideal version of Civ 5, there would be a Civ2:ToT-like separate map for a space layer, on which one could require something to be built to carry out orbital bombardment. If that option's not available, how about having orbital bombardment units take some of the same parts, or an overlapping set of parts, with building a starship ? That would spice up the final few turns of building the starship and waiting for it to get to AC. [ I'm presuming from BtS that the Civ 3/vanilla Civ 4 "win on starship launch" condition has actually been recognised as sucking cold potato soup through a straw by the gallon, so we hopefully won't see it in Civ 5. ]

[ I'm presuming from BtS that the Civ 3/vanilla Civ 4 "win on starship launch" condition has actually been recognised as sucking cold potato soup through a straw by the gallon, so we hopefully won't see it in Civ 5. ]

I agree, the PC always gets there first and on CIVIII its impossible to build!:nuke:

I agree, the PC always gets there first and on CIVIII its impossible to build!:nuke:

I think you may mistake me.

Spaceship victory; yes.

Spaceship victory the instant the thing is built: no.

Spaceship victory when it has been safely flown to and landed on Alpha Centauri: yes.

The destruction you describe would be about like dropping a 1-mile asteroid on something. If you need to drop a 1-mile asteroid on your home planet, you've got bigger problems to worry about. And if someone can drop them on you, I think you'd be smart to surrender BEFORE they drop it.

If you want a "realistic" orbital bombardment - ignoring all the treaties that forbid weapons in space - you just set up some kind of platform that drops crowbars with guidance systems. Laze the target, drop a crowbar, and whatever it hits is gone. The resulting crater will only be a dozen or so feet wide. Not much good against aircraft in the air, but you can take out any tank or revetment, and a good number of underground bunkers if you can find them.

Another effect could be all jungle/forests on that continent would be reduced to plains.:satan:

With Tactical Nuke, Guided Missile and ICBMs, there are already a large number of weapons of mass destruction in Civ 4. Going a step up would be cool, but the average Civ player would soil himself upon seeing that his size 19 CC has been destroyed.

IMO, playing at Emperor-->Deity with this feature would be near impossible to win by the time the computer gets these weapons first.

The animation could be a mini Death Star, except it would open from the bottom and orange lasers would shoot at the city.

Top Bottom