1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Orcish War Machine

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Grandraem, May 5, 2012.

1. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

This is an Orcish War Machine (hereafter called the OWM for short), although there's also goblins and an ogre on board. It's based on the OWMs described in the D&D Gazetteer #10, "The Orcs of Thar", and an image of one from the cover of the book, as well as the cover of "Thar's Manual of Good Conduct", which was a little booklet included inside.

It was purposely made very large, so if it's too large for you, then feel free to use Steph's SBB to resize it for your own purposes. It was originally even larger, but that caused too many problems. Even still, at it's current size it'll probably be a good idea to check "Ranged Attack Animation" for this unit.

I would have liked to have made it more detailed, more eclectic, and have humanoids hanging off it all over the place, but I'll have to blame my computer for limiting it to its current form.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it!

Previews:

Download:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19232&act=down

Fixed Death Animation:
    If you downloaded this unit prior to May 11th, please download the attached fixed death animation and replace the previous one in the units folder.
    If you download this unit from May 11 (2012) or later, then your downloaded unit will already include the fix and you won't need this patch file.

Attached Files:

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Excellent work :D

3. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

An unit can never be too large, if it's properly centered!

It's a incredibly great unit, I already smell a strong participant for the Unit of the Month Competition!

Did you try other light settings to get rid of the slight flickering in AttackA and Default (in parts that shouldn't be that affected by the fire) ?

4. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

5. Gojira54

Gojira54 The folly of Man

I love it! Can't wait for CoM...

6. smirnoff

smirnoff Crusader

wow, very cool unit, i really like it and good job on that unit

7. gwendoline

gwendoline Chieftain

Great animation Grandraem! It's like a living machine :goodjob:

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

A wonderfully twisted contrivance!

:thumbsup: ,

Oz

9. Delta_Strife

Delta_Strife Chieftain

Wonderful unit be hard to beat in the monthly unit competition. Going to have to do something good! ;)

10. Don Pepito

Don Pepito Chieftain

I really love the drum beater!!! :lol: This weekend is being full of nice surprises from modders!!! :goodjob:

11. Quinzy

Quinzy Chieftain

It'll make a great Scrap Launcher for the Ogres in the Warhammer mod!

12. Usteros

Usteros Chieftain

Great vehicle! :goodjob:

13. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

14. nick0515

nick0515 Dad, Librarian & Writer

Damn good job! Damn good, bloody good, damn good job! :goodjob:

15. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments!

Unfortunately, I just saw an error!!! I realized that in the death animation the horn at the front jumps back suddenly. This happened because I had to adjust the position of the OWM and re-render it, and I forgot that I removed the parenting of the horn for the death, so it's in the wrong position. I'll have that fixed and uploaded by next weekend. You have no idea how much work this unit has been for me and how much re-rendering I've done.

Supa,
    About the lighting, I wanted a flicker effect, and I didn't want to have to adjust multiple spotlights for each frame for each animation, so I used a point light centred on the flame that I adjusted for each frame. I wasn't sure of a better way to do it.

16. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

Keep the faith, Grandraem! This OWM is amazing and is really worth the long work! Keep it up :goodjob:

17. Supa

Supa Out of Cheese Error

Perhaps a point light, put in the exact same place as the fire, with flickering animation (intensity and/or shadow) and setting the fire object (I guess it's a sprite ?) to 'no-shadow'. If you were working in a raytracing space, you could also uncheck "Visible in Raytracing" in the fire object in order to be sure the fire wouldn't project any shadows.

But that's really minor and certainly don't ask for a redo. It's a great unit and it shows the time & efforts you've put in it.

18. tom2050

tom2050 Chieftain

That is a really spectacular unit, I gotta say: we’ze goin’ Stuntie huntin’!

Flicker effect is quite good. It gives it a feel of fantasy ancient medieval :)

19. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

I c whut you did thar.

20. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

Thanks again to everyone!

Supa,
    The lighting you described was pretty much what I did - point light centered on flame with flickering "intensity", and the flame prop checked, or I should say unchecked, to not cast shadows. I hadn't unchecked "visible in raytracing" though. The fire object was a relatively flat box with an animated texture and transparency map. I didn't know of any better way to make an animated flame in Poser and couldn't find any links or tutorials that didn't involve particles (which for sure would have overloaded my computer due to the increase in memory).