Ordo Machinarum !

Apeiron

Warlord
Actually the ordo machinarum is just a local cult, linked with the Mechanos. But other religions (like the OO) are linked with a civilization (Lanuns), and the notion of local or global cult is just a question of spreading. So, I think the Ordo should be an official religion.
(maybe the Gift too, which can make disapear the cultist trait, there is always temple of the Gift and gift priests, so it is possible)

The clock tower (with mana theory) may be the temple, can cost like the other temples and made +10% culture +10% production/science, maybe -10% cost maintenance and can have a scientist and an ingeener, or something like that.

To reimplace the pagan temple of the Mechanos, I propose something like a solar calendar, with the same effects than the ancient clock tower.

I think the Ordo may have a second religious building, which coincides with the lore : the observatory (with optic or physics), which can costs like a basilica, and gives +25% science, a free scientist, +1 scientist PI and the ability to have one or two scientists, or something like that.

The other religions have three priests. The Ordo have the adeptus and the techpriest, but a third step is missing. Maybe a time master or clock master, which can cast "spirit machine" for the mechanical units in the stack, and maybe other powers.

Maybe the Ordo can be an atheist cult ? I suggest than the presence of the ordo in a city can give chances every turn to cast an inquisition (the other religions than the ordo and the state religion of the city disappear with their religious buildings), which is compatible with the Freedom of religion (to make disappear all other religion than the Ordo in your empire naturally).

About the religious heroes, I think Feris should stay the national heroes and Boris and Goliath become the religous heroes of the Ordo (because of the human experiment for Boris and the machine spirit for Goliath... Feris is "just" a woman).

So, what do you think about it ?:)

Well if OM is taken out of the Mechanos then some serious rebalancing of both the civilization and the religion is needed.

Boris and Goliath are possibly the strongest hero units in the game, since they are available so early. Thus taking them out of Mechanos saps of two good units, but on the other hand the civ could be given access to religious techs now to compensate.

The OM could use some kind of downside to balance the strong pro-science bonus (that's on par with AV). Perhaps mechanical units turn barbarian if you leave for another religion? One could perhaps ramp it up so that every city with OM spawns a mechanical barbarian if you leave the religion?

Your auto-inquisition ability feels like a bit of an overkill. It would be way to easy to achieve a religious victory with the OM. The AV doesn't remove the Order after all, and those cults hate each other.

(edit: I was under the mistaken impression that...) Ordo Machinarum is gone in the next patch. I say unfortunately, because I really like the flavor of the Mechanos being priests of the machine spirits, with Refined Mana being their connection to a steampunk type of magic/religion. Sort of like Space Marines in W40K, but steampunk-flavored instead of Starship Troopers.

Unfortunately, I believe Ordo Machinarum is gone in the next patch. I say unfortunately, because I really like the flavor of the Mechanos being priests of the machine spirits, with Refined Mana being their connection to a steampunk type of magic/religion. Sort of like Space Marines in W40K, but steampunk-flavored instead of Starship Troopers.

Well, that's in RifE. Not Orbis. :p

It's being removed as a religion, and remaining as a cult within the Mechanos civilization.

Well, that's in RifE. Not Orbis. :p

It's being removed as a religion, and remaining as a cult within the Mechanos civilization.

Oops, sorry. I must have clicked through from the Most Recent Post in the ModMods forum tree, and for no good reason at all I assumed it was posted in RifE. :p

Back on topic - I kinda like the idea of Machinarum being a full religion available to all civs and giving them access to some of its benefits... But it would definitely take some work to separate the Ordo from the Mechanos and make sure the Mechanos aren't crippled by giving other civs access to their "schtick". And I'm not sure how well it fits the FfH theme to have any civ out there able to "go steampunk". So you could probably do it in a modmod, but would Orbis merge such a change?

Orbis is the Renaissance of Erebus. There is possibility to build arquebusiers or railways, to get Republic or Freedom of religion civics, etc. A steampunk civilization is good with that lore. A civilization can "go steampunk", you can imagine England to see the evolution in the real world, or cases in the literature, like in dreamamericana or other stories.

In my first post in this topic I proposed a separation between Mechanos and the Ordo, and the Mechanos keep their advantages.

To be honest, I really don't think Ahwaric would go for it. He wasn't too fond of the Ordo in RifE, which is one reason I'm removing it. The other is I feel it is TOO civ-specific; With the White Hand, there is an actual reason to go to it (with Hell advancing, a return of Winter may be desirable), so I'm okay with it. There are also multiple civs with a reason to adopt it in the lore.

It also gives me room to introduce a new religion, Airandamar. One that I'm quite fond of, and already has a massive pedia entry by Killer Clowns. Large enough that we're breaking it up into smaller entries, which will link to each other. ;)

Top Bottom