1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Organ donation: opt in or opt out?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Truronian, Aug 22, 2010.

?

Organ donation:

1. Opt-in

40.7%
  2. Opt-out

59.3%
  1. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

A debate that never gets enough exposure is the one surrounding organ donation. The UK has a significant organ shortage and many think that this could be rectified somewhat by changing the system from opt-in to opt-out.

What do y'all reckon?

2. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Opt in, I reckon. However, every effort should be made to make opting in really really easy. I think I mentioned it in a similar thread previously, but Australia (or at least NSW) has an opt in system, where you simply tick a form on a box when applying for a drivers licence (although PieceOfMind, IIRC, says that that doesn't act as an absolute opt in, or something, but that is at least the general idea). Simple and easy, without the risk of infringing on the traditions/beliefs/desires of those who accidentally fail to opt out under such a system.

3. Homie

Homie Anti-Lefty

Yeah, it should be opt-in, but made really easy, as already stated. I like the US system. On every driver's license there is a an area that you can sign. If you sign it, you are an organ donor in case of your death.

4. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

Opt-in is preferable, as opt-out removes a doctor's incentive to check your donor status. Just make it easier and more convenient to opt-in. Set up stands in public places where you can fill in a card and be registered in 5 minutes. Put little boxes on applications for various official documents etc.

5. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Opt out. But make it easy to opt out.

6. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

With a death sentence for any doctor who deliberately hides a person's non-donorness to get fr33 0rg4nz!

7. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Keep it as opt-in. Too many people would be unaware that there organs are going to be harvested and there families would get angry when the state gets there hands on the body.

Personally i've opted in..

8. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

Considering the general laziness of people, I'd say opt-out. Only those who really, really cared about their souls or whatever would apply to opt-out, but the majority would do nothing.

9. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

That's a PR issue.

10. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

Opt-out. It's proven to be much more effective at getting organ doners, because people tend to go with the default choice when faced with disitions like this. There was a TED talk specifically on this issue, which I can't find at the moment.

11. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I personally think it should be opt-out. No liberty would be lost while a lot of organ would be gained.

12. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Neither. Stick a question on the next census requiring you to state whether you are willing to be an organ donor or not. No emphasis or default choice either way. Just insist on a straight answer and eliminate the "would be an organ donor but never got round to signing up" group.

13. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Im an organ donor. I told my mom that if I get some disease and none of my organs can be used, to send the body to medical research.

14. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I believe in awareness and opt-in. Publicize the problem, make it convenient and easy to opt-in, and see what happens.

EDIT: Anyways, shouldn't people be allowed to sell the post-death rights to their organs?

15. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Ignorance of the law/rules is no excuse.

16. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

I read the poll wrong. It should be opt-out. As far as I'm concerned if you won't have your organs donated you're pretty much evil.

17. CivOtaku

CivOtaku Salmiac lover

Oh, wait, I think I misunderstood the poll. Can someone verify what opt-out/in means on the poll?

18. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

"Opt" is sure for "option" as in "voluntary".

Opt-in is slang for "volunteer" or "make a system voluntary".

Opt-out is slang for "mandated" or "require participation unless legally opted out for personal reasons, such as religious reasons".

The difference is "Opt-in" requires a conscious decision and legal paper work to be included, while "opt-out" requires concious decision and legal paper work to be excluded. There's not necessarily a difference. IMHO, there's barely any difference at all, excepting the amount of legal paper work that the state might require.

19. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I want my organs put in canopic jars and buried with me for use in the afterlife.

20. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

Opt in, but personally I think people should do it.

The US system is good--when someone fills out a drivers license it's as simple as checking 1 box. And mostly everyone will have a drivers license at some point.