Organ donation: opt in or opt out?

Organ donation:

• Total voters
Sure, opt-out. I think everyone will take the time to opt out if it really means something to them.

...and it does apparently. My cousin says she won't donate anything: "They're my organs" she says.

Though more reason to promote stem cell research; it would allow us to make organs fit for each individual, correct? No more rejections, pretty much.

Now just to find some way to make the anti-research opinion hold no weight legally...

I respect Lucy's point a great deal, but I disagree about whether the religious views (or being 'squicked out') deserves enough respect to be ... respected. I'd rather people have the freedom (at the cost to others, in opportunity cost) to choose their body's fate after death. If a squicked religion is a problem, the society can try to educate against the religion (not the government, but the society), but the right should still be there.

A forced choice system would increase the number of organ donors ~4-8x anyway. Making it opt out (or no option) would only increase the number of organs by about 10% after that. Coldly, that's saying that 1/10 organ recipients would die needlessly, though.

Though more reason to promote stem cell research; it would allow us to make organs fit for each individual, correct? No more rejections, pretty much.

:thumbsup: It needs funding. It needs a crop of new scientists who're already educated. It needs social support.

Eventually, it's going to be mostly an information technology, and so we need to grind our way there as fast as possible.

Top Bottom