1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Orion's Grand Inquisition

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by OrionVeteran, Oct 3, 2009.

1. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

I forgot about this Water Fountain National Wonder issue. I'll work on a fix and turn it out in the next OGI patch.

2. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

I agree that the water plots have far less to contend with than land plots. But we did provide you with the capability to breed Fish, Shrimp, Crabs, Lobster, Clams, Oysters, Sea Lions and cultivate kelp. I thought that was something no other mod has attempted. But, you are right: A few more water plot based buildings and Wonders could add more spice to OGI. Our usual pattern is have a Wonder provide some sort of building in every city. Any ideas for what Wonder and building combination we could use?

3. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Hmnn, my bad. I wasn't exactly clear in my previous post. I'm not talking about about more resources ( but IMO, more is never a bad thing :lol:), but an actual colony/research center out on the water like NOAA has (or even DARPA for that matter), or perhaps even under water only type resources that you have to have the appropriate tech for in order to use a work boat to gain ( sea vents for geo-thermal, certain types of minerals, etc).
    As for buildings/wonders: Underwater Archology ( research bonus), NOAA ( bio/health bonus), Hydro-Sensor Array (weather/navigation bonus), not to mention mining, drilling, energy access, plus all the military possiblities ( under water ICBM launch station anyone? :mischief:). Just a few ideas.

4. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

I think a feature might do the trick. For Example: A sea vent feature could have a Geo Thermal plant improvement. The feature would only appear in Ocean plots and a workboat would be needed to create the improvement. Problem: How would this improvement benefit a city if it is far away from any cultural border?

5. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

Updated OGI 3.02 Patch

See first post for download link.

Fixes:

1. The Crusader now upgrades to the Rifleman
    2. Rewrote Python code for producing a Crusader based upon the game speed turn interval.
    3. Fixed an irritating warning message for the GP Spy icon.
    4. Added New Building Refinery
    5. Added Strategic Oil Reserve National Wonder
    6. Fixed missing fresh water feature when producing Water Fountain National Wonder
    7. Ark of the Covenant World Wonder has improved graphics.

6. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Not sure OG. I'm currently talking with some other modders to see what might be able to be done. I believe I saw a colony modcomp somewhere in the sub-forums which allows a connection to a resource outside a CB (ala CIV III style), which in turn gains the resource.
    Alternatively, I believe that the mod Planetfall has some type of water based colony aspect to it in order to better utilize sea based resources and plots ( Planetfall is a BTS version of Alpha Centauri I believe). I'm going to go ahead and DL Planetfall, and then take a look at it's contents. Maybe we'll get lucky :cool:.
    You could also probably check it out as well, and see if there is a potential to get ideas for ocean plots. Who knows, lol, all kinds of ideas could arise.

7. Jennvare

Jennvare Prince

Planetfall is an excellent mod. I've played in extensively myself. There's another called "Conflict of Chiron" that is an expanded mod based on Planetfall. That one I used to play, but it's only available on a German server now so I have no idea which one to download. :(

Colonizing the sea is a nice touch, but it is still primarily land combat that wins you the game. After all, Conquest and Domination go off land mass and population. However, there are resources out in the ocean which Civ 4 doesn't have. All of Civ 4's sea resources are all coastal.

For improvements, they have sea kelp (farm), sea factory (mine) and others. Hope ya guys can figure out how to use them and if they would be worth adding.

Good Luck.

8. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

It doesn't hurt to throw around a few new ideas, but my biggest desire is to make OGI a reliable power house mod that will attract more of the Civ4 community. How is your Prince level game going?

9. Jennvare

Jennvare Prince

The Prince level game is going almost too well.

It's not Total domination like the Warlord game, but I will win soon enough and I will not have fought a major battle against another civ. I certainly had to fend off a lot of "pirates" and I did my own piracy as well, but no declared wars.

I play maps that tend to have either multiple continents or many islets. I do this to encourage naval warfare (since that's a good portion of your mines). With this game though, many of the islands, even in the late game are unsettled!! You can fit maybe five or six cities on each one, but they are not expanding to them. Your AI boost may help with this given that they will get free settlers, but I find it odd that they won't make transport ships to ferry a settler and some troops over to another isle.

I've attached the saved game. I am finishing the spaceship and will launch it soon. The nearest civ won't complete theirs in time to challenge me.

I'll go up another two difficulty slots and see what I get.

Attached Files:

10. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

Try selecting the game option "Aggressive AI". I suspect you will get a few more wars. Have you applied the latest patch?

11. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

I have the last version before 3.02 downloaded. Do I need to download the full version, the patch, or both, to update?

Looking forward to playing this again. The previous game of OGI I played managed to do something which no other modpack I've found has: it got me continually excited, not just for what I was going to get in the future, but what I had now, and what I'd get in the next few turns. Impressively, that lasted even into the modern era with the new techs added at the end of the tech tree. It made it one of the most fun games of Civ I've played.

12. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

You need to download OGI 3.02, the full version and the latest patch.

Version 3.02 has greatly improved over version 3.01. Let me know what you think.

13. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

I've just started and will be able to give more detailed feedback later (probably tomorrow). However, one thing I immediately noticed is a fairly irritating typo which appears to have been repeated: it's spelt "classical", not "clasical". Sorry, I get annoyed by these sorts of things :)

14. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

The spelling error will be corrected in the next patch release. For now you can correct it yourself by searching the OGI_Mysteries_Civ4GameText.xml file for the word "clasical" and change each reference to "Classical".

15. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

The historian said to use world builder and vastly increase the available resources on all of your adversaries islands. Then set the AI handicap boost to 5, which should motivate the AI Civs. That should make your game a bit more difficult. :)

I'm sure you will have to tone it down from there.

16. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

I've been looking at the Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml file. There are settings that we can modify to increase the likelihood of war under different conditions. I will attempt to make a few attitude adjustments and see how it affects the likelihood of war. We may end up with a lot more wars being declared.

17. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Deity

It's been very quiet for the last few days. Any comments to share about how your game of OGI is progressing?

18. pi4t

pi4t Warlord

I've had and am having a bunch of exams, and am trying to upgrade my computer. Between those things, I haven't had much time for Civ, so currently...it isn't progressing at all :p

19. Pomphis

Pomphis Warlord

I am running two. Tech research seems to get very fast in the later stages. I like a lot about OGI, but would like to have time to use my B-29s before I upgrade them to stealth bombers.

20. Pomphis

Pomphis Warlord

I just installed the latest patch and now the mod crashes every time I try to load an existing game.