OS X 10.14 To Start Dropping 32-bit Support

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
Saw this article when catching up on news today:

Apple said:
To prepare for a future release of macOS in which 32-bit software will no longer run without compromise, starting in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, a user is notified on the launch of an app that depends on 32-bit software. The alert appears only once per app.

Given the age of Civ3, I'm guessing it will probably be 32-bit and thus affected. It isn't clear yet what "without compromise" means - maybe Civ3 will keep running all right - but I figured there would be some people here who would appreciate being in the loop.

The first stage has begun, they will no longer accept 32 bit applications in the mac app store.
I fear that, without updates from the developer (highly unlikely for an old game like Civ3), macOS will no longer be able to run a lot of older games. Apple has done things like this before (dropped support for MacOS 9 apps with MacOS X 10.5, dropped support for PowerPC emulation with MacOS X 10.7, dropped support for 32-bit apps on iOS 11). It's good for progress, but bad for people who like their older purchases. I think the only way to keep running games like Civ3 will be to run an older version of macOS in VirtualBox, VMware or Paralels.

You are able to run Civ 3 on newer versions of OS X (without emulation)? I haven't tried since Civ 4 came out, but I do still have it installed on an older Macbook running OS X 10.6.

I've just updated to macOS 10.14, with some trepidation, given the above. Can confirm Civ III still runs as well as before - still needs to be in a window, and still won't let you play hottest or initiate a PBEM game (though if someone starts a PBEM game on a PC you can still play).

It is definitely a 32-bit app, so 10.15 will certainly break it, as 10.15 has dropped all support for 32-bit apps. Regardless, there is no way to buy a copy of Civ III for Mac any more - I've just got an old copy on my computer that's been there for years, through multiple upgrades. I'm well aware that one day it will no longer work - there are plenty of other games out there to play, not least Civ VI - but it'll still be a shame given how good it still is.

Top Bottom