1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OS X 10.14 To Start Dropping 32-bit Support

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Macintosh' started by Quintillus, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Saw this article when catching up on news today:

Given the age of Civ3, I'm guessing it will probably be 32-bit and thus affected. It isn't clear yet what "without compromise" means - maybe Civ3 will keep running all right - but I figured there would be some people here who would appreciate being in the loop.

2. SWY

SWY Chieftain

The first stage has begun, they will no longer accept 32 bit applications in the mac app store.
    I fear that, without updates from the developer (highly unlikely for an old game like Civ3), macOS will no longer be able to run a lot of older games. Apple has done things like this before (dropped support for MacOS 9 apps with MacOS X 10.5, dropped support for PowerPC emulation with MacOS X 10.7, dropped support for 32-bit apps on iOS 11). It's good for progress, but bad for people who like their older purchases. I think the only way to keep running games like Civ3 will be to run an older version of macOS in VirtualBox, VMware or Paralels.

3. jpinoniemi

jpinoniemi Chieftain

You are able to run Civ 3 on newer versions of OS X (without emulation)? I haven't tried since Civ 4 came out, but I do still have it installed on an older Macbook running OS X 10.6.